Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

4Runner dash lights issue

Old 02-26-2011, 11:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
4Runner dash lights issue

so driving home today i noticed the good ol 4Runner was just about to roll over 183k miles (yay runner!) but just before it did my gauge cluster lights went out (its is dark outside obviously) all gauges blinkers and information center lights are working but the lights that illuminate the gauges went out so i had to hold my phone up to the speedo to see how fast im going checked the fuse for "gauges" indicated on the diagram for the fuse box near the drivers feet but it was fine....im stumped what fuse would go to interior gauge lights.. could it be a problem with the dimmer switch because when that is turned nothing happens and if that breaks would the lights just shut off?

i might mention that the headlights were still working dint see if the tail lights were battery voltage was good as well
Old 02-26-2011, 11:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mine did the same thing and found that the grounds where not working, now it they go threw the dimmer or not im not sure but i didnt want to mess around to i ran new grounds. not the right way but it worked.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a similar problem in that the right side of my dash lights were out when I bought it. I found that all the bulbs were good, but for some reason the contact between the bulb and the console wasn't touching correctly. So I tweaked the bulb contact by bending out with small screw driver and it seemed to work alright.
However sometimes it will go out randomly and I just give the dash a good hit with the palm of my hand and it pops right back on. Sweet huh?
Try giving it the "slap treatment" first, then if nothing check the contacts or the actual bulbs in the gauge. Good luck!
Old 02-27-2011, 10:34 AM

*update* ok so i looked a little more into the problem today and i discovered that the tail lights were not working brake lights were how ever so i opened the fuse box and pulled the "tail" fuse sure enough it was blown. so no problem right? so i replace the fuse and flip on the lights.. the fuse blows up immediately .....so i replace it again.. it blows up a third time right as i try to turn the lights on? any suggestions now so you have more of an idea whats going on?
Old 02-27-2011, 12:28 PM

You have a bad ground or two wires touching somewhere, I had the same problem when i put in a radio in my truck, one wire touched a ground and blew the tail light fuse.. as far as the dash lights, check the dimmer switch could be something with it or something within the dash lights themselves
Old 02-27-2011, 07:06 PM

FIXED! turns out the problem was with the trailer light wire harness after driving in the snow for 3-4 hours last night the Harness (which was tucked up into my rear bumper) was packed full of snow and when the snow stated to melt......it caused a short circuit imagine that! that proceeded to blow 3 fuses so if you have the same problem that wiring harness would be a good place to check first
Old 02-06-2015, 11:34 AM

I had no dash/cluster lighting in my 89 4runner.

Here are pictures of the fuse and relay location (ds footwell) and pic of which wires to test/bypass dimmer switch. In my case, the dimmer switch was bad. Anyway, thanks for directing me towards the tail light circuit.
Attached Thumbnails 4Runner dash lights issue-14232541399970.jpg   4Runner dash lights issue-14232541762771.jpg  
Old 02-06-2015, 02:37 PM

You should think about swapping them out with l.e.d.'s, i saw a 3rd gen 4runner build on here that swapped out all his interiors with blue leds. Im thinking of doing it on mine, it looked pretty cool.
Old 06-13-2015, 07:05 AM

Hey Dillon TR4... question for you...

I have this same thing going on right now. No tail lights (but I do have brake lights) and no main dash light, and also the auto lock stopped working (unlock works though). This all started right after my boyfriend hooked up a trailer to it. So I assumed the two were related. Sounds like at least the lights issue is tied to the towing wires.

So what exactly did you do to fix yours?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Old 06-13-2015, 12:49 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Being there long gone.

I would see if your trailer has a short in the light plug or the lights .

If you have a trailer converter box some times they short out as well..
Check the tail light fuse.
Replace that and see if they keep working.

My rule is who broke it fixes the problem!! Tell him to get busy!!
Old 03-15-2016, 06:59 PM

Kind of a old post maybe I can get some help. I have a 1985 4runner and my dash lights don't work. I know it is a wiring issue. took my cluster out and put it in my buddies rig. Then I put his dimmer switch in my, and it still did not work. I have a service manual and it says that the middle connector has eight wires and I only have six. any ideas?
Old 03-18-2016, 05:36 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
A problem well-stated is a problem almost solved. How about other lights? Tail lights? Tails share circuit with dash lights.
Do they work or not?
How about the light dimmer potentiometer. Anything happens when you turn it either way?

If switching clusters did not fix it, put everything back to stock (way better for troubleshooting), get a multi-meter and start probing.
Here's the schematic and recommended voltage test points for 84-88 (first-gen 4Runner)... please report back and we'l go from there.
Name:  Dash_Lights_02_zpsvzsetfsk.jpg
Views: 21069
Size:  212.6 KB

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 03-18-2016 at 05:37 PM.
Old 12-10-2016, 11:14 AM

So I have a similar issue. My stepson installed a gauge cluster and I think that is part of the problem. He did that by cutting out the stock connector for the optional digital clock that I don't have. The light behind the speedo does not work but the light behind the heater/climate control works. If I turn the dimmer down it does not dim but turns the lights off so I am pretty sure the dimmer is bad but the lights on the climate control working makes me think the lights on the speedo would work if they were getting ground. The switch is on the ground side of the circuit so to speak; correct? I exposed all the cut wires and I have a feeling that two of them should be connected and this will work but I just blew the relay or the fuse screwing around with it. Any help? I have a wiring diagram for an 88 Forerunner but I don't think the changes between the two vehicles and years is monumental. Right?
Old 12-11-2016, 01:57 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

So just what year are you working on??

The wiring can be different enough to cause interesting sparks at time

Bulbs are all good ??

One must love those who cut wiring instead of unplugging
Old 12-11-2016, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by mrcocoa
... I have a wiring diagram for an 88 Forerunner but I don't think the changes between the two vehicles and years is monumental. Right?
Originally Posted by wyoming9
So just what year are you working on??
How can we help if we don't know what year Escalade are we looking at?
A problem well-stated is a problem almost solved.
Old 11-27-2020, 12:17 PM

Where is the fuse that operates the gauges! 86 yota 4runner. I have searched and cannot locate.
Old 11-27-2020, 03:07 PM

(I also added info below to Fuse, Relay Location Thread Here.
Originally Posted by Tonia McNulty Clark
Where is the fuse that operates the gauges! 86 yota 4runner. I have searched and cannot locate.
Engine fuse powers the gauges themselves (not backlights) when IGN is on.

All points encircled in red will have 12V when IG is on.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 11-27-2020 at 03:09 PM.
Old 05-10-2021, 09:07 PM

Had the same problem

Was wheeling with some buddies. and on the way back I noticed my dash lights were out. All of the maintenance lights were good and my 4 wheel drive light was fine. Checked all my fuses (or so I thought) and everything looked completely fine. It was during the day so I wasn't too worried about it. When I got home I checked the fuses again and everything looked fine once more and that's when I noticed my radio lights were out as well. The screen was fine but the buttons were completely out. At this point, I ruled out new bulbs because the odds of all of those going out at once were slim. And after some reading, I found that if your tail lights go out then the tail-fuse can shut all of these things off. Figured this happened because my trailer wires are normally tucked in my bumper but must have wiggled loose and hung down when I went through a mud puddle and shorted the fuse. Guess I missed a fuse lol.
Old 05-11-2021, 12:43 PM

Received 633 Likes on 510 Posts
The MK-I eyeball is good for a lot of things. A LOT of things. Especially for girl-watching, particularly at the beach
Checking fuses, even the relatively clear automotive fuses, isn't one of them. Multimeter is the only piece of test equipment that will do the job properly. In-circuit, yeeeeeeaaaaaahhhh....but out of circuit is best. Pull the fuse, hit it with the multimeter in continuity setting, and you get an audible indication of good or bad. Quick and easy, and much more reliable than "It looks ok...".

A multimeter is relatively small, but vital, part of a vehicles tool kit. Make sure it's cover is well cushioned.

Have fun!
Pat☺