Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

4inch drop bracket lift 2 months ago and my front differential is now bad

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 01:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4inch drop bracket lift 2 months ago and my front differential is now bad

Well i have recently installed a 4inch drop bracket lift about 2 months ago and all of the sudden my front differential goes bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Apparently there is too much play in the passenger side of the differential therefore it is most likely worn out and needs to be replaced... like thats going to happen so as of right now i am just going to pull out everything and be without 4wd for most likely the rest of the summer...

After spending $2000 dollars on everything I have now decided that it wasn't the best decision to stick with the ifs... So on the brightside i am considering going SAS. What would you do? Replace with a diff or replace everything?

What all can you tell me about the SAS kits and the cost of installation?
As much as i would love to install it myself i do not have the tools... how much would it cost all together labor wise?

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 06-08-2009 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Please use subject of your post in your title
Old 06-08-2009, 01:36 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
first off--search on the SAS. Do you know how weld, have a friend etc that can weld? If you are asking I am thinking you don't . To pay some one: $2k+
Parts $1000+ whatever deal you get on an axle.

What kind of wheeling do you do? Is SAS a necessary expense? TC and AxeIke wheel IFS like some SAS guys can only dream about.

Financially and timewise you would be better off fixing your diff or output bearing...

Last edited by dropzone; 06-08-2009 at 01:38 PM. Reason: can't spell
Old 06-08-2009, 01:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ide toss a diff in it and replace whatever caused it to go bad in the first place
Old 06-08-2009, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
first off--search on the SAS. Do you know how weld, have a friend etc that can weld? If you are asking I am thinking you don't . To pay some one: $2k+
Parts $1000+ whatever deal you get on an axle.

What kind of wheeling do you do? Is SAS a necessary expense? TC and AxeIke wheel IFS like some SAS guys can only dream about.

Financially and timewise you would be better off fixing your diff or output bearing...
Yeah... i do not know how to weld and dont know anyone close that knows how either...
As of right now its always been just mud but i've gotten sick of watching the problems it has given my 4runner so i want to get into crawling more and i have next to no travel in the front like every other drop bracket lift...
plus i plan on keeping the 4runner forever and a solid axel will be more durable and worry free right?
Old 06-08-2009, 04:21 PM

anyone?
Old 06-08-2009, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The problem you are having is most likely not from the lift, its a common problem thats happened to myself and others.

heres some info I dug up when I had the problem(try searching "wobbly front differential)

quoted from 4x4wire...http://home.4x4wire.com/erik/diffs/
86-95 IFS trucks and 4Runners, and all '93-98 T100s use a 7.5" front diff that is offset to the passenger's side. Later models came with ADD (Automatic Differential Disconnect) which uses a vacuum actuated mechanism to disconnect the drivers side axle shaft from the differential. Carriers and gear sets are interchangeable between the two different versions (and also happen to be the same as used in the 2wd Toyota pickup 7.5" diffs). One difference between ADD and non-ADD diffs is that the carrier in an ADD differential has needle bearings supporting the axle shafts at the differential. The non-ADD diffs did not have this bearing and sometimes the passenger side axle flange wears the carrier and becomes loose or wobbly, eventually causing oil leaks, noise, and possible spider gear damage. ADD and non-ADD diffs are swappable as are most of their parts. This makes it possible to change your ADD diff to non-ADD by simply swapping parts as I've done in the picture to the right. This is desirable to some people since some of the ADD stubs are smaller diameter than the non-ADD stubs and are therefore slightly weaker.
- Passenger's side
- Low pinion
- 27 spline axles
Old 06-08-2009, 05:08 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^^^^goood info!
Old 06-08-2009, 05:20 PM

How about a junkyard diff? They're not that hard to pull and cheap at a u-pull it yard. Common too if you have 4.56's.

BTW, you should have an ADD diff unless you changed that.

My opinion is that considering a SAS after having just dropped that kind of money in your IFS is insane - but that's just me
Old 06-08-2009, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by [N8]
Eh, Not sure about this. He has a 5-spd. Unless he did an auto to manual tranny swap, he doesn't have ADD.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Ardent
Eh, Not sure about this. He has a 5-spd. Unless he did an auto to manual tranny swap, he doesn't have ADD.
it came with 5 spd and i have ADD

Originally Posted by [N8]
How about a junkyard diff? They're not that hard to pull and cheap at a u-pull it yard. Common too if you have 4.56's.

My opinion is that considering a SAS after having just dropped that kind of money in your IFS is insane - but that's just me
yeah i thought about that but if got a junk yard diff i would want 5.29s for the 35s... and i doubt i would find that ratio in a junk yard but there is always online too
and i hear you on selling the ifs lift but i could get my complete money back for it because i got an awesome deal and bought the lift for $600 and it is only 2 months old and i think i could get $600 for it

Originally Posted by t0mwat3r
The problem you are having is most likely not from the lift, its a common problem thats happened to myself and others.

heres some info I dug up when I had the problem(try searching "wobbly front differential)

quoted from 4x4wire...http://home.4x4wire.com/erik/diffs/
wow thanks that is good info but it just makes me aware of whats happening
Old 06-08-2009, 06:41 PM

Buddy that problem has nothing to do with your lift. Replace the diff and keep the lift. Bracket lifts provide at least as much travel as stock ifs. And they flex better if you keep the torsion bars soft. I love mine. And I prefer the ifs for mud, as you have more ground clearance in the front. If I was rockcrawling, I would want to SAS it.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:58 PM

I have a IFS diff in my truck right now with 5.29s and a truetrac limited slip that will be for sale before too long if you are interested. I just ordered a sas kit for it but it will be a couple weeks before im ready to start on it,,,,It is a 90,.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Skinsfan6
Buddy that problem has nothing to do with your lift. Replace the diff and keep the lift. Bracket lifts provide at least as much travel as stock ifs. And they flex better if you keep the torsion bars soft. I love mine. And I prefer the ifs for mud, as you have more ground clearance in the front. If I was rockcrawling, I would want to SAS it.
i never said that the problem had anything to do with the lift i just said i instead of putting money into ifs i might as well go sas and i dont loose any money cause i got my lift new for such a cheap price
Old 06-08-2009, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by toyoffroada
I have a IFS diff in my truck right now with 5.29s and a truetrac limited slip that will be for sale before too long if you are interested. I just ordered a sas kit for it but it will be a couple weeks before im ready to start on it,,,,It is a 90,.
let me know when it becomes available and ill let you know if i want it or not thanks man
Old 06-08-2009, 07:07 PM

will do,,, thanks,,
Old 06-08-2009, 07:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Something to consider- if you fix the differential issue and later decide to go SAS, you can sell the entire differential and bracket kit and recoup your investment in the repair and probably a bit more. Heck, you could sell the bracket kit by itself for a few hundred- enough to fix the differential. You won't be able to recover your total investment in the lift and differential but would get enough to take a sizeable chunk out of the cost of going SAS.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:24 PM

I paid to have someone do my SAS

I would say its going to cost you about 1 to 3 thousand to get the front and rear done!! That is not including parts either!!
Old 06-08-2009, 07:32 PM

And to answer your question earlier, a SA is more reliable because there arent as many moving parts, just tie rods, and steering...no ball joints to go out, no CVs, no alignments (cept for toe), no torsion bars to break, cheaper to lift, easier to work on underside of truck! I dont regret it!
Old 06-08-2009, 08:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Less moving parts? Huh? Instead of ball joints you have the bushings (analogous to kingpin bushings / bearings) that allow the knuckles to pivot left/right, bearings on the ends of the axle housing and on the wheels, shaft joints (birfield / longfield), shackle / spring hanger bushings, etc.
No CV's? What's a Birfield / Longfield?
No alignment? Hmm... SAS has all the same alignment angles IFS has: camber, caster, toe, steering axis inclination, scrub radius, etc. IFS just gives you more options for adjusting them without cutting and welding or shimming the axle housing.
Instead of 2 torsion bars you get 3/4/5/6/7(?) leafs to break.
Cheaper to lift? I can add 3-4" lift to my truck for about 3000, using brand new parts. How much to convert to SAS with brand new parts?
Easier to work on? What's easier to work on with SAS compared to IFS?

Not trying to start an argument, just pointing out a few differences between what you said and what's actual, and I am curious. I'm pondering the (dis)advantages to SAS on my 88. Might do it... might push IFS as far as I can. Not sure, yet.

We haven't mentioned the different changes to alignment angles and vehicle attitude caused by compression / extension of IFS vs. SAS. IFS tends to keep the wheel contact patch parallel (laterally and longitudinally) to the frame wheres SAS' contact patch is parallel with the front axle. On level ground, IFS tends to keep the chassis level while turning where SAS can cause the chassis to lean simply from turning the steering wheel.

Anyhow, this isn't likely a discussion for this thread... but thought I'd bring it up to help trigger some research into the differences.

Last edited by abecedarian; 06-08-2009 at 08:03 PM.