86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

4 low problems/a340h

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 low problems/a340h

well by now i am frustrated as hell, so im asking for help. its a 93 4runner, 3.0, auto tranny. the truck will not go into 4low. the lever on the side of the case does but it still doesnt work. this tranny and case was also just swapped into my truck and it is a know tranny and case thats work fine. i have no clue where to look. is thier something electrical that really engages the 4low? any help would be greatly appriciated. thanks
Old 05-31-2007, 04:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
are the man. or auto hubs on there
Old 05-31-2007, 04:19 PM

manual...sas
Old 06-01-2007, 08:22 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
bump we need help
Old 06-01-2007, 08:30 AM

"IF THE LEVER IS NEXT MOVED TO L4 POSITION, THE INDICATOR LIGHT OPERATES THE SAME AS WITH H4, CAUSING THE LIGHT TO
CAME ON. AT THE SAME TIME, A SIGNAL IS INPUT TO TERMINAL L4 OF THE TCCS ECU. ACCORDINGLY, WHEN THE ECU DECIDES
THAT DRIVING IN L4 IS POSSIBLE, CURRENT FLOWS FROM TERMINAL S4 OF THE TCCS ECU " TERMINAL (A) 5 (3VZ–E) OF THE
ECT SOLENOID " GROUND AND SHIFT TO L4 OCCURS."

You need a FSM and a EWD to start to figure it out. I'll try to find a better description later
Old 06-01-2007, 08:36 AM

we can adjust the linkage at the back of the transfercase with the lever in 4L and it will go in but as soon as you take it out again it will not engage. We took apart the console thinking there was something wrong with the shifter, but we have no idea. ill look in a fsm. thanks
Old 06-01-2007, 12:02 PM

bump.
Old 06-01-2007, 02:36 PM

Did your truck have ADD? Did you short this out when you did the SAS? This provides an input into the TCCS ECU as well. I can't find what it does in the FSM yet but might be worth checking.
Old 06-01-2007, 02:56 PM

Troubleshooting No. 5 from the FSM - Transfer gear no change L4 from H4

Check transfer position switch (new tranny and tcase so this shouldn't be it)

Connect a voltmeter to check connector terminals TT and E1. Does TT terminal voltage vary with changes in throttle opening? No - Faulty Position Sensor

Yes - with engine idling, are there 10 - 14 V b/w Engine and ECT ECU terminals S4 and E1, when transfer lever is shifted from H4 to L4 - No Try another Engine and ECT ECU

No - No. 4 solenoid stuck, Faulty tranfer

I have seen posts to links of a FSM on YT somewhere. But maybe you have an issue with your TPS based on above.

Last edited by coldwiz; 06-01-2007 at 02:58 PM.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:31 PM

we used that fsm. I printed out like 10 pages and we still didnt get it. We think it is not electrical, but we have yet to try another ecu. We can get under the truck adjust the linkage from the shifter to the back of the tranny where that weird linkage thing is, put the lever in 4L and then shift it manually. He does it a couple times, tightens the bolt to the linkage then poof, it is in 4L. However if he wanted to take it out of 4L and put it in 2H or 4H then it will not go back into 4L. We tried all the electrical we could find and still cannot figure out what is wrong. Also we are fairly sure there is not a problem with the No. 4 solenoid. The trann/t-case that is in the 4Runner now came out of mine and when it came out of mine there was nothing wrong with it and 4L worked.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:18 PM

If you can crawl under the truck and shift into 4L manually and are sure that you are getting 4L then it sounds like you are in the right area with the linkage being the problem. The horseshoe? piece that pivots around the rear output of tcase has bushing inside the cups that it pivots in. My bushing fell out (not sure how) and afterward mine tcase would pop out of 4L due to the slop. I had to use a bungy cord on the tcase shifter and tied to a rear seat head rest post to keep it in 4L. I just bought new bushings and replaced them last week, adjusted the linkage, and now it seems to shift fine but haven't had really tested it off road yet.

Are you all sure it is getting into 4L when you help it from underneath the truck?
Old 06-01-2007, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by coldwiz
If you can crawl under the truck and shift into 4L manually and are sure that you are getting 4L then it sounds like you are in the right area with the linkage being the problem. The horseshoe? piece that pivots around the rear output of tcase has bushing inside the cups that it pivots in. My bushing fell out (not sure how) and afterward mine tcase would pop out of 4L due to the slop. I had to use a bungy cord on the tcase shifter and tied to a rear seat head rest post to keep it in 4L. I just bought new bushings and replaced them last week, adjusted the linkage, and now it seems to shift fine but haven't had really tested it off road yet.

Are you all sure it is getting into 4L when you help it from underneath the truck?
Ya i am talking about the horseshoe thing. I would be interested to see a pic of your rigged set-up. Where did you buy these bushings from and how much do they cost? We know it is in 4L because you can stand on the brakes and powerbrake it very easily, if it is in 4H it will not bust the tires loose. It is very easy to tell the difference even without PBing it. Thanks for your help coldwiz!!
Old 06-01-2007, 10:05 PM

Here are a couple of pics of the bushings I replaced. The bushings are just to the left of the new pinion seal in the first pic.

The bushings fit inside the black 'upside down cup' (very technical I know) that is just below the tcase output flange with rubber boot on bottom of it. The horseshoe has a pin with a ball on the end that fits inside the bushings and allows for the pivoting motion. Without the bushings there was too much slop in the linkage. I bought the bushings from Champion Toyota but didn't replace the bushings in the top pivot so I have extras if you need these.

Old 06-04-2007, 05:41 AM

hey, this used to be my truck. When I first got it, it did the same thing you're talking about. I could get it to go into low range by turning the truck OFF, putting the shifter in low, and then starting it.

I later fixed this issue by grounding a wire that went to the ADD system that was original to the 4runner. I grounded it to the bumper mounting bolt on the drivers side. I *think* the wire is black and yellow and should be somewhere around the drivers side fenderwell. Maybe it fell off or was ripped off, worth a check.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:54 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Seems the peeps in this thread are confuseing 2 difffrent things.

Shifting INTO 4low

and ACTIVATION of 4wheel drive.

The case is manually shifted, and uses hydrolic pressure to actually move the stuff inside the case. (for A340H) (A340F is manually shifted internally also)

If you (crawl under the truck) disconnect the linkage, and manually move the lever little lever (and or turn the "nut" its attached to) that WILL shift the xcase into 4low.

You will notice the truck creaps along REALLY slow. max speed = ~30 mph

the next part is making shure the front wheels are driveing also. That gets much more complicated with a vacume system, and various electronic controls unless you have removed (or dont have) the ADD system.