Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

4 cyl calipers for rear disc setup?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 cyl calipers for rear disc setup?

I have 86 pickup 22r 5 speed. I ordered the rear disc brackets from 85excab and from those who have went the yota caliper route it seems most are using the v6 calipers.....y not the 4 cyl? They are smaller correct? I have a source for the 4cyl calipers and rotors are the mounting tabs the same dimensions as far as distance between holes? Any help appreciated I am doing this swap because both rear drum setups are shot and cylinders leaking. Just curious if 4 cyl calipers will mount same as v6s.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:03 AM

Anyone
Old 01-25-2015, 07:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Why are you doing a rear disc conversion? Toyota uses big rear drum brakes, and they last a long time. My 92 still has the original rear brakes and aren't even 50% worn yet, only changed the front brakes just recently.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:24 AM

My drums are shot and is gonna be Cheaper to do this swap. I prefer disc. Easier to maintain. Please you members who have done this can I just put my current calipers in rear and v6s in front? Should bolt right up right? Are rotors the same 4cyl and6?

Last edited by yotaholik; 01-25-2015 at 07:27 AM.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by bswarm
Why are you doing a rear disc conversion? Toyota uses big rear drum brakes, and they last a long time. My 92 still has the original rear brakes and aren't even 50% worn yet, only changed the front brakes just recently.
They're not worn because they don't do anything
Old 01-25-2015, 07:40 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I doubt anyone has every used the smaller calipers on a rear disc conversion..

If you have the brackets for mounting the calipers just measure the distance between the holes then measure your calipers.

What are your plans for an emergency brake??

In the long run it would be cheaper to repair what you have.

Best of luck!!
Old 01-25-2015, 07:50 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by yotaholik
I have 86 pickup 22r 5 speed. I ordered the rear disc brackets from 85excab and from those who have went the yota caliper route it seems most are using the v6 calipers.....y not the 4 cyl? They are smaller correct? I have a source for the 4cyl calipers and rotors are the mounting tabs the same dimensions as far as distance between holes? Any help appreciated I am doing this swap because both rear drum setups are shot and cylinders leaking. Just curious if 4 cyl calipers will mount same as v6s.
I was planning on using cyl in rear. even solid rotor from 85 front. The breaking power to the rear needs to be less than front or they will lock up first. The later model v6 caliper have 4 larger bore pistons than 4 cyl so good choice for the front.

You'll need a proportionate valve and a residual valve unless you've upgraded master cylinder.

Depending on offset of brackets and calipers you may need to use LC rotors.

You will loose your emergency brake so you'll want to figure out a solution. Some use linelocks but that only gives you a parking brake. Some electric ones state they are for short time use only with a good probability of failing for extended use. Manual line looks require plumbing into cab to actuate. I've read missed reviews on t-csae brakes and depending on skip plate configuration this may not be an easy install.

Yes, I think the emergency brake is important. I've ripped out a brake line wheelin. Having an e-brake made it just an increase in pucker factor situation instead of a bad situation.

Originally Posted by bswarm
Disc self clean and don't gum up with mud. So depends on application.

Depending on your mileage this is crazy. Sounds like you aren't using your parking brake. The rear drums depend on use of parking brake to adjust the drum brakes.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:59 AM

Maybe you can just plan too do the strait 4 swap to the rear but have the v6 calipers on hand. If the ones from the front don't fit finish the job using the v6 calipers, and return the strait 4, too the front. If you can find a place that doesn't charge a restocking fee you can get that second set and if you don't need them just return them. Most places don't charge a fee if they have the parts on shelf.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:56 AM

So if I used v6s in front and 4s in rear then maybe the front would lock before rear? I would like to use the same 4s all the way around to help with not swapping master. Guess I could go with all 4s and use prop valve and residual. My e brake doesnt work as we speak.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:50 AM

You get 70% more braking from the front wheels then the rear. Which means you can have a lot stronger front brakes without lockup then you can rear.