Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

3ZVE fuel pulsation dampener

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 01:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3ZVE fuel pulsation dampener

Mine is leaking so I have a few questions. What exactly does it do? can it be bypassed & removed all together? Where can I buy a new one for under $160 as that what the dealer wants for it. Money is very tight right now & I'm looking to do this for as little as possible.

Thanks, Rich
Old 08-06-2009, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let me rewrite this, since i sounded like a drunk hillbilly the first time.

What part of the fuel pulsation dampener is it leaking from? The lip or where that screw is in the middle of it?

I have one i could sell you, well actually 3. one of them leaked and im not sure which so i could send them all.

When mine leaked it caused a fuel fire which wasn't a fun cleanup.

Last edited by 904_runner; 08-06-2009 at 01:43 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:07 PM

I'm not sure as I don't have the intake off yet. I can get my fingers under the intake & there is fuel all over the dampener. I will know where it's leaking for sure once I get the intake off (the screw or the lip) I just don't want to do all that work & then have it leak again.

Also can it be removed & bypassed? what the heck is it for anyways?
Old 08-06-2009, 04:15 PM

I don't think it can be bypassed or removed. It screws into the back of the fuel rail, for what purpose i do not know.

Last edited by 904_runner; 02-22-2012 at 01:18 AM.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:24 PM

thank you for the pics of it. Well I will take it apart tomorrow night & see what part it is leaking from. What a great spot to put it in, You would think it would be easier to access. Oh well.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:28 PM

Yea.. you would think

Last edited by 904_runner; 02-22-2012 at 01:17 AM.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:49 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
First of all, Rich. Dude.

Hate to say I told you so but,
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...16#post2832216

Originally Posted by turborich
I'm not sure as I don't have the intake off yet. I can get my fingers under the intake & there is fuel all over the dampener. I will know where it's leaking for sure once I get the intake off (the screw or the lip) I just don't want to do all that work & then have it leak again.

Also can it be removed & bypassed? what the heck is it for anyways?
The pulsation damper is like a shock absorber for fuel pressure. As injectors open and close, they cause variations in fuel pressure in the fuel rails. Those could make fuel metering inaccurate, so Toyota added the damper that smooths out fluctuations that are too rapid for the pressure regulator to cope with.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by turborich
Where can I buy a new one for under $160 as that what the dealer wants for it. Money is very tight right now & I'm looking to do this for as little as possible.

Thanks, Rich
Rock Auto has a Standard Motor Products damper for $88. I've heard their parts aren't bad, but I've never tried them. I would avoid the Airtex parts.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,6120

EDIT: Oops, this and other aftermarket pulsation dampers DO NOT FIT. As others have said, go with the Toyota part.

Last edited by sb5walker; 04-22-2011 at 08:00 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:03 AM

sb5walker, I really thought it was just a vapor leak/smell at that point. You were 100% right though!
Old 08-07-2009, 09:13 AM

Get the dampener from toyota!! I know it's more expensive, but it is worth it!! You won't hear me say that very often :-)

The quiality between the two is night and day.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:29 AM

Also, while you're in there, you may want to run some tests on your injectors. Jump the + and – from the battery to each injector, and listen carefully for an audible “click” if one or two give a weak click, it may be bad.

I had a fuel leak for over a year, and it ended up being the fuel dampener AND an injector!

PM me if you have any specific fuel-leak-related questions.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:11 AM

Well I got that dumb pulsation dampener replaced. Talk about a lousy design, not just the dampener but the entire efi set up. I have never seen so many darn vacuum hoses before. Anyways, no more fuel leaks so that's a good thing. I also changed out the PCV valve & grommet as it was hard as a rock & a couple of the small coolant lines that didn't look too good. The local Toyota dealer sold me the dampener for wholesale $137 bucks.

BTW, the original dampener didn't have the screw in it. The screw was gone & the plastic cover was off & laying on the manifold. Toyota should have recalled this IMO.
Old 08-09-2009, 05:08 PM

I work for Toyota and I do agree it should have been a campaign, I have personally fixed about 8 3VZE with the same exact leak, in most cases the plastic cover stays on though and the little bolt backs out and lays in the hat. This just happened to MY 4runner last week too lol
Old 04-24-2010, 08:28 PM

I just finished my head gasket, got everything back together, and when I tried to start it it started leaking fuel out of the dampener. I took it out and pulled the plastic cap off and the little screw was out. I put the little screw back in and reassembled everything, and same thing again when I tried to start it. It wasn't broken before the head gasket job so I think its a little strange. Any feed back would be much appreciated.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:00 PM

It's toast. Many of them are at this point. World Toyota/Scion of Atlanta is the cheapest source I've found for dealer parts - they're cheaper than 1sttoyotaparts. I see the pulsation damper (called the pulse dampner in their catalog) doesn't have a price listed online for a pickup or 4runner, but they do list it for a 93-94 T100 which I'm pretty sure is the same exact part - dealer list price is $142.73 and World's price is $94.39. Call to make sure it's the right part - there is a name and phone number at the bottom of the main page:
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...?siteid=214140

Don't forget to get a couple of the copper or aluminum crush gaskets if they don't come with the damper.

EDIT: World Toyota completely changed their prices such that they offer a much worse deal than many other online toyota dealer parts sites. This post has a list of links of the best ones I know of:
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...5&postcount=30

Last edited by sb5walker; 04-22-2011 at 07:54 PM.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by 904_runner
Let me rewrite this, since i sounded like a drunk hillbilly the first time.
man I do that all the time..
Old 04-24-2010, 10:43 PM

thanks sb5walker!
Old 04-22-2011, 05:43 PM

Just had one fail on my '94 Pickup (3ZVE). My symptoms cropped up all in one day, including a strong fuel smell in and around the vehicle, trouble starting the engine the longer it sat (losing prime in the fuel line, I assume?), and a noticeable dripping/evap sound under the hood near the back of the engine while off. I got it to the nearest shop the same day (fire extinguisher at hand - I've seen enough things go up in flame to fully respect the power of gasoline). They found the replacement part for $125, seems fair considering what Ive read here.

It does surprise me that given the number of owners who've seen the issue, plus the fact that this thread happens to be #1 on the Google result for "Fuel Pulsation Dampener", and the possibility of catastrophic failure - such as 904_runner's - That this hasn't become a Toyota recall campaign.

Sorry to revive an older thread, but I felt the need to add my experience. Maybe a few more owners who've seen this could come forward. I know this engine has had its problems over the years, but it'd be nice to see Toyota acknowledge this fairly dangerous one.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:02 PM

I completely agree. If ever there was an issue that demanded a recall, this would be it. Come on, Toyota. These are failing left and right, creating very dangerous situations and mucho liability.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:05 PM

exactly what i did . i got my old 94 4runner (rip) due to the damper going out . although i redid the wiring and hoses and lasted me another 10,000 till i was side swiped by a tour bus . the engine lasted another 10,000 till it developed a knock . now i used the damper on on my fresh rebuilt. i spent 189 for my new damper but now i dont have 1 worry of fire
Originally Posted by moonbase1
Get the dampener from toyota!! I know it's more expensive, but it is worth it!! You won't hear me say that very often :-)

The quiality between the two is night and day.

Quick Reply: 3ZVE fuel pulsation dampener