Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

3vze won't run right with correct timing

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3vze won't run right with correct timing

Hello from the new guy. I have a 92 truck with 200K on it. It has the 3.0L motor and is 4 wheel drive. It has been a great truck, few problems. I had a tough time passing smog last time because when my timing is correctly set it runs like crap. I found a guy that passed me with my timing fudged.

So, I installed a new timing belt as it was due and was hoping it would resolve my timing issue. It did not but now my exhaust stinks. I have to set the timing to about 20º BTDC in order to make this truck run ok. With the timing set correctly it makes no power and runs like crap. I am using the correct procedure to set the timing, jumper, light on wire #1. The idle drifts a bit but overall is smooth. Has original wires, distributor, and all emmisions are original...O2 sensor etc. The timing needed to be advanced with both my old belt and the new one. I am 99% sure I have the belt timing ok.

Any ideas appreciated. I need to get a sticker on my truck. It's just sitting in the driveway unused. The wife wants me to sell it. I see no reason to part with my old friend.

Steve
Old 11-18-2012, 10:41 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Make sure you're not off a tooth on the distributor install.

Also, double check that the TPS is correctly adjusted.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:57 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
200k and you havent put new wires or o2 sensor yet? Sounds a little neglegant.
pcv? plugs? yet you changed timing belt? Im a little confused.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:25 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I hope you replaced more than just the timing belt.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:58 PM

This is the 2nd timing belt on this truck. It get plugs every couple of years. Oil not as often as it should but it gets changed. Other than that, if it isn't broke I don't fix it. So, O2 sensor and emissions stuff is original. Same with plug wires, it runs smooth so I haven't changed them. Along with the timing belt I replaced the water pump, thermostat, idlers and radiator hoses. So I am a bit negligent but could be worse.

It is possible the timing has always been set this way and I never knew until a smog shop wouldn't pass me because the timing was off. So I set it at 10 BTDC and it ran badly, knocking, no power. So I put it back. I was hoping the timing issue was caused by an old loose timing belt. That wasn't the case. The only weird thing was the exhaust didn't smell bad until I changed out the timing belt. Doesn't smell like rotten eggs or anything like that. It smells like driving behind a old classic car with no smog controls on it.

My problem is to pass smog I need to set my timing right. The smelly exhaust is an issue and I need to fix that also.

Are you suggesting the distributor might have been installed a tooth off when it was built?

I will look into the TPS. Thanks for the suggestion.

Steve
Old 11-18-2012, 02:14 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
This is probably pretty uncommon, but there are reports of the harmonic balancer twisting (it's a rubber-filled torus, so the rubber tears). You could pull the #1 plug, bring the crank close to TDC, drop a chop stick down the plug hole and bring the crank up to TDC. The chop stick should rise up to TDC.

If that happened, your timing WAS correct (10 BTDC) when your mark was up around 20. You'll need to fix that; you don't want it coming apart.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^that. And the fact that all those electrical bits, after 200,000 miles, need replacing. Plug wires, O2, cat maybe, TPS at least checked and adjusted if needed, that stuff wears out, even if it isn't "broke". Don't be cheap. If you love your "old friend" why would you let it live in poor health?
Old 11-19-2012, 05:33 AM
Contributing Member

Replacing the O2 sensor should net you at LEAST 2-3 mpg & clean up that rich running, at a minimum.

Plug wires, distributor cap & rotor will give you a stronger spark, so more complete burn, again relating to the rich exhaust smell.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:49 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
How long have you owned the truck? Did the previous owner have the engine rebuilt? It is possible.....because it happened to me......the previous engine rebuilder messed up the cam timing on my engine! He did NOT SET The Cams Properly at the Engine Rebuild! If this is the case.....your engine will Never run correctly no matter what you do until you set the cams Properly!

Make Sure the Cams are Set Properly!!!!!!

The next thing to check is the O2 Sensor and Cat Converter. I use a Magnaflow high flow Cat.......and a Bosch 02 Sensor! They both work awesome! And I always smog like a brand new truck!.....which it actually is now with my new 3,000 mile brand new free under warranty engine.

Best of Luck!
Old 11-20-2012, 05:27 AM

I bought this truck new. I did have the head gaskets done by Toyota, the recall they had. That is the only time anything could have been 'mis-installed' unless it was built this way. I have 4 days off for Thanksgiving so will play around with it some more. Thanks guys!

Steve
Old 11-20-2012, 08:02 AM

+1 on the harmonic balancer. I had to replace mine recently because it was spinning on the center hub and I had to set the ignition timing by ear.

Last edited by BMcEL; 11-20-2012 at 08:04 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:24 AM

I ran into this issue down to the letter on my 1992 3.0. I couldn't get it to run properly without being way advanced. I didn't see anyone ask if you have used the jumper wire while you set the timing. I assume you are so you do have the same issue.

My issue became a distributor pickup not working properly. I replaced the distributor and all my timing issues went away. I straight piped the cats for a couple minutes (unhooked and put in straight pipe for temp test) and nothing changed. If you think about the pickup being the issue it makes sense. Older cars didn't have much for a good timing advance and that is what your smelling (in my opinion). Do you know anyone with a good distributor that you can try? Picknpull units are pretty cheap.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:22 PM

The O2 Sensor also Controls the Fuel/Air Mixture at the ECU. I would check the O2 Sensor and make sure that it is working correctly. If your truck is starting to burn oil.....this can also foul your O2 Sensor and Cat. The best prices I have found for parts are on RockAuto.com. I have been through this many times!

.......Carry On!......

Old 11-20-2012, 11:30 PM

More items that can begin to fail over time are the ..... Igniter.

And the Coil.

I have already replaced my coil with a.....PERTRONIX 40,000-VOLT HIGH-PERFORMANCE COIL. Just in Case!

Old 11-21-2012, 03:25 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by scope103
This is probably pretty uncommon, but there are reports of the harmonic balancer twisting (it's a rubber-filled torus, so the rubber tears). You could pull the #1 plug, bring the crank close to TDC, drop a chop stick down the plug hole and bring the crank up to TDC. The chop stick should rise up to TDC.

If that happened, your timing WAS correct (10 BTDC) when your mark was up around 20. You'll need to fix that; you don't want it coming apart.
Isn't that on the 22RE only?
Old 11-21-2012, 07:16 AM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by TNRabbit
Isn't that on the 22RE only?
Good catch: I don't know the answer to that.

I did assume that "all" harmonic balancers had some sort of compliant (rubber) component to damp vibration. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonic_balancer

This photo of my Harmonic balancer (3VZE) does look like it has the rubber annulus (ring).

Old 11-21-2012, 07:49 PM

Hopefully it isn't the balancer. I was just in there not long ago. I can wait awhile before going back in.

The distributor is the next thing I'm doing. Regarding the jumper for the timing check...the idle makes no change when I pull the jumper or install while running. Makes me wonder if my advance works. Is that normal?

Yeah, my truck burns some oil these days. I need to replace the O2 sensor I know.
If my plugs look good, a nice tan...can I assume my O2 sensor is ok?

Happy T day
Old 11-21-2012, 07:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't get a Bosch sensor if you decide to replace it. Get all Denso sensors and ignition components. Nippondenso(Denso these days, aka ND) is OEM, and Advance Auto parts carries Denso. Not sure what you have in your area...
Old 11-21-2012, 08:07 PM

swap a 3.4 in it!
Old 11-22-2012, 01:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you don't see a drop in idle with terminals jumpered, then that would point towards your TPS being out of spec. Try adjusting, takes a little time and a multimeter. Your ECU isn't seeing that the throttle is closed.

'89 22RE 4x4 longbed DLX
Sent from my LG-P505 using YotaTech

Quick Reply: 3vze won't run right with correct timing