86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3vze valve tick question

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3vze valve tick question

I've spent a lot of time on this site looking at posts about the 3vze. I bought mine four years ago with 190k on it, now at 225k. Since I bought it, it always had a slight tick. A few weeks ago, while driving home from a job, it all of a sudden got REALLY loud.

After a lot of research as to what the problem could be, I decided it would be a good idea to adjust the valve lash. I found all of the exhaust valves to be a little too tight and one in particular really tight. I re-shimmed all of them and put it back together. Still making the noise.

Did a compression test and have 190 psi +- 5psi in all cylinders. So my question: What could be making this ticking noise?

I was thinking I might have a burnt exhaust valve on the #2 cylinder (which had the tightest valve clearance) and I can pinpoint noise coming from that area on the cylinder head, but my compression test never lost pressure on any cylinder.

I have counted the timing of the ticks which turns out to around 360 ticks/minute. Since Idle speed is around 700-800 rpm and the camshaft/valvetrain goes half-speed, does mean that my problem is in the valvetrain? If so, I am planning on tearing off the heads and getting them resurfaced/rebuilt.

Any input would be much appreciated! Thanks!
Old 05-04-2010, 08:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The tick could also be your injectors. They are known for being loud.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
With your compression numbers I'd say your valves are just fine. Like TF said above, the injectors are pretty noisy or you might have a small exhaust leak. Check your exhaust manifold, crossover, and downpipe nuts for tightness. I've also seen a spark plug loosen up a couple of turns, making a ticking noise.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:14 AM

Do you think an injector tick would be a really loud metallic noise? I just pulled the injectors this morning, is there anything you would look for that might give away the injectors as the culprit?
Old 05-08-2010, 03:53 AM

You are obsessing, my man! The 3VZE is a noisy-ass engine. As I have stated in other posts, I have around 400,000 miles experiencing driving one or the other that I have owned and, trust me, there were times that I was convinced the 'ticking' was getting louder or was out of control but it was never a real problem.

The noise does change. Is it in my head? Maybe...as there may be some times I notice it and others I don't. It's like someone smacking gum next to you in the Doctor's waiting room. Once your notice the noise, you cannot help but continue to notice it and you may kind of go nuts. However, If you don't notice the noise to begin with, it doesn't get inside your head and it's not big shakes.

My guess is you are noticing this noise a lot more and the more you think about it, the louder it sounds. If the valve lash is within tolerance and your timing is set correctly (with consideration for the type of gas you are running) AND you have good oil pressure, my advice is to invest in a louder stereo to drown out the ticking as I don't think you have a problem.

One final thing you might want to try...since this motor has a good number of miles on it and given that warm weather is upon us, you may want to try running a cycle of 20W-50 oil and see if that quiets things down a bit. You can switch back to the thinner stuff when the weather turns cold.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:08 AM

If your valves are properly shimmed be sure to check for exhaust leaks. You can really hear the ticking when there is an exhaust leak. Also, do not forget to check the gasket that goes around the steering column at the firewall. My truck was driving me crazy until I read about checking that gasket here on YT. Mine looked good until I got up close and found a crack in the gasket. Ticking sounds in the truck went way down when I replaced it. I was checking my injectors and though they make noise with hood up it was that overlooked gasket that was driving me nuts. One fixed exhaust leak (replaced studs in exhaust manifold to exhaust pipe connection to get a decent seal) and one steering column gasket replaced and my truck is soooo quiet. Yeah!

Last edited by nobrainsd; 05-08-2010 at 08:12 AM.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:14 AM

Well, after much knuckle-busting, I found the source of the tick. It turns out that the #2 piston is loose in the cylinder. Not free of the connecting rod, but probably close. Its super easy to press my finger on either side of the piston and make it move a couple of mm! Not exactly what I was hoping for, but I know what that extremely loud sound is now.

Do any of you know what might be my best option for getting this rig back running with a low price tag. I've seen posts and sites with long blocks for around $1800. I have no experience in boring cylinders and the such. If it needed to go to a machine shop, could they bore them with the engine in the truck or do I need to pull it?

Also, I've been thinking of ditching this impossible to work on 3 liter in favor of the 22re or some other four cylinder. Is that a swap that makes sense? What about swapping in one of the newer 2.7 liter four cylinders?
Attached Thumbnails 3vze valve tick question-img_0081.jpg  
Old 05-09-2010, 04:56 PM

I don't have experience with it myself...but people LOVE the 22RE. Apparently they are indestructable. I would be interested to hear how it goes for you. Good luck.