Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

3vze valve lifters upgraded to hydraulic lifters?

Old 09-14-2014, 06:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3vze valve lifters upgraded to hydraulic lifters?

Being that the pain in buying the shims and the work involved in doing a valve job and readjusting them every so often. Has anyone ever tried to get a set of hydraulic lifters installed in the 3.0 v6 3zve heads? It's an ongoing battle being that I have a 88 that I've owned since it was 3 years old. It's been good to me. But I'm over the valve jobs. And the other thing that's been on my mind is the MAF I've been kicking around the idea of the fact that it uses a potentiometer to adjust the fuel ratio.
And why not do like we did with the old r cars back In The day
And some how make a electronic speed control type upgrade for them? I've been through a lot of them over the years and it's so primitive. I'm sure someone out there can do it.
And the 3rd idea that I can't find is on my air-cooled vw a company called Jacobs made a magnetic ignition for the distributor. It got rid of the cap and rotor and wasn't subject to water and wearing out. And provides more spark. And there's nothing available for this motor with these types of applications. I'm sure that there is a great deal of guys who would agree that we have a market for such things to keep our beloved 88's alive.
Thought's or input would be great.
I've put a lot of these idea on paper for pat. But would need funding to be able to bring such things to the market.
It's a shame that the 3zve got such a bad rap due to small things that were eventually corrected in other models.
But I find them to be work horse's if taken care of.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How about you just get an engine that has all these things to start with?

The HLAs alone will require drilling oil passages and developing some sort of valving system to time the opening with the cam lobes. Not to mention that HLAs are normally frowned upon because they stick and then you're back to a noisy valvetrain.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:51 AM

Cost of a new motor is too high when the other essential I have are solid. I'm trying to make solutions for everyone's issues.
Yeah ultimate online education would to put a Lexus in them but it's not going to happen anytime soon. I actually have a 87 4G umber that I put a Chevy 6cyl 350 I. And in NJ the new law that I bet Noone knows about says you can't register a import with a American motor I. It anymore why? I have no clue.
I only found out when I was red flag ed at the inspection station when they opened the hood to get a signal for hydrocarbon reading. So it just sits. Until they realize that it's a stupid law.
Being that most Toyota have done the swap
Old 09-14-2014, 08:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I follow you, it's just that the machine work for converting to HLA would far outclass an entire lifetime of adjusting shim-and-bucket valves. You could probably use a reed valve instead of a cam timing system to lock the lifter during uh, lift. Still, the retainer mechanism and multipart lifter assembly would be a non-trivial thing to just add to 3VZ heads. It would be cool, though, until the lifters get stuck.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:15 AM

Yeah though about that problem is actually not a huge one but the 3 Zvezda have what 6 bolts and the vz only 4 if I remember correctly. I'd pay for the milling on an extra set of heads if it's possible I have them laying around. Hell buying the shims is Really expensive and now they are getting harder to find. Last time I got some someone must have returned them cause a valve would read fine on a compression test but the disk would rotate and I'd lose it. Eventually I pulled then and put the micrometer to them and they weren't constant they had a wedged shape lie someone tried to put them on a belt sander. To make them smaller. And I ended up with them.