Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3vze Timing and Timing Belt Installation??

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3vze Timing and Timing Belt Installation??

So like an idiot I removed my timing belt and didn't mark it. I'm rebuilding my 3vze from the ground up. The FSM says to line up the belt marks with the Crank and Cams but my belt has no marks.

So I need help making sure I got the Crank and Cams in proper sync.

Assuming the Crank is TDC with #1 piston up, how would I go about making sure the CAMS are in their proper position?

Do the Cams have a 720 degree full rotation like the Crank?

Or do I just need to buy a new timing belt with the marks on them?

Thanks,

Badbob
Old 10-30-2012, 11:27 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
The lines don't mean anything at this point anyway. If you've done everything else that you should have correctly, then you're fine. The only purposes for them are so you can make sure that you don't put the belt on backwards(as if it matters, I say it don't), and to help check that things are realigned correctly. But they aren't really necessary for either purpose(you've got a 50% chance of not putting it on backwards without even trying, and there's other ways to get everything lined up right). So the only thing you could have done "wrong", if you did everything else right, is put it on backwards. But I don't see how or why that would matter anyway(though some say it does, or can).

Last edited by MudHippy; 10-30-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok, great . . . what other ways can i insure that the cams and crank are in alignment and I'm not a tooth off. FSM says to use the marks on the belt to line it up.

But Mudhip, what do you suggest?
Old 10-30-2012, 11:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just make sure the cams are on their marks, and the crank is on it's mark. Then put the belt on. Some cheaper belts don't have mark anyway. It has nothing to do with the actual timing of the motor, it's just for reference.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:51 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by badbob94
FSM says to use the marks on the belt to line it up.
No it doesn't. It says to line the belt up with everything AFTER you've set it up correctly.

8. SET NO.1 CYLINDER TO TDC/COMPRESSION
(a) (Crankshaft Position)
Turn the crankshaft pulley, and align its groove with
timing mark ”0” of the No.1 timing belt cover

(b) (RH Camshaft Pulley Position)
Turn the camshaft, align the knock pin hole of the
camshaft with the timing mark of the No.3 timing belt
cover.
(c) (LH Camshaft Pulley Position)
Turn the camshaft timing pulley, align the timing
marks of the camshaft timing pulley and No.3 timing belt cover.

Then (re)install the timing belt.

BTW, rotating the crank 720° rotates the cams 360°. So rotate the crank from TDC to TDC twice, then check that the camshaft pulleys are still lined up with the marks on the timing belt cover. If they are, you're fine.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:25 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Doing it "wrong" is harder than you think. You have to be off by one whole tooth (you can't be off by 1/2 tooth!), which at the crankshaft is 15 degrees. The place where you can make a mistake is to end up with the belt slack in the wrong place (that slack is taken up by the tensioner). So, as others (and the FSM) say, put it together with everything pointing at zero, THEN turn the crank twice to see that everything ends up back in the same place. If you're off at all, you'll be off by a whole tooth, and you won't miss that.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
A little hint: start the belt with the CRANK PULLEY first. Then ALL SLACK OUT up to the driver side cam pulley. Then (this is where many goof up), rotate the passenger side cam pulley BACK TOWARD THE DRIVER SIDE about a half-tooth to take all the slack out from between the two cams. Once in, that should leave all your marks lined up. The remaining slack will be taken up by the tensioner pulley.