Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

3vze timing issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3vze timing issues

i will start out by saying what i have thrown at this piece of blank so far. its had new fuel filter and air filter,cap,rotor,plugs,wires,coil,catalytic converter,02 sensor,clutch and flywheel. ok now for the problem...since i have bought this rig about 6 months ago i have been slowly upgrading things but its doing some strange things now. such as going up a hill it will bog down like crazy as in i will be coming up at 85 hit the hill and i will be doing less than fifty at the top. also another problem is the timing. i noticed the idle was a little slow one day so i timed it up and it ran better. however it started going down again about a week later. what i did then was advance it a little just to see if it would do it again and sure enough it did. it idles at less than 500 rpm right now and sounds like it has a miss. got spark got fuel got compression got no lights on....HELP
Old 05-11-2009, 01:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Check for engine codes. I'm betting knock sensor wire...
Old 05-11-2009, 02:28 PM

well, It wouldnt hurt to check that your tps is adjusted (there are some inst on here somewhere). this would make sure your idle has a good base to start turning the screw and setting it. your computer will keep messing with it if the TPS is not set right.

Im also assuming you set your idle when engine was hot, and that you jumpered your t1 te1 (I think) terminals when you set your timing with the light.

good luck dude, I hated trying to set my tps, it can be surgery if its your first time.
I did the change out of the phillips screws that hold it in to some allen heads and that has helped out adjusting it a lot. if you havent done the tps before youll get what I mean when you get in there.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:51 PM

but yes...you said no codes, but that knock sensor wire mentioned is a biggie.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:05 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by THEYCALLMEZP
...i noticed the idle was a little slow one day so i timed it up and it ran better. however it started going down again about a week later. what i did then was advance it a little just to see if it would do it again and sure enough it did. it idles at less than 500 rpm right now and sounds like it has a miss. got spark got fuel got compression got no lights on....HELP
So you're saying you keep advancing the timing & it keeps coming back down? Sounds EXACTLY like knock sensor issues; pull those engine codes!
Old 05-12-2009, 12:36 PM

Thumbs up codes in the am

pullin codes tonight brothas i'll let you know in the am i tuned the tps and it wasnt far off in the first place but it didnt help hardly at all. also yes, it was timed hot with the terminals jumped. so im betting that knock sensor is gonna be it. but yeah codes coming soon
Old 05-14-2009, 12:25 PM

.im an idiot lol

tried to pull the codes twice now and no luck. t1 an e terminals right? when i did it flashed the rear anti lock. i must have mis understood somewhere along the lines
Old 05-14-2009, 01:35 PM

Jump the T1 and TE1 terminals, and count the flashes.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:37 AM

ok so...afte continuin to read about the knock sensor last night i went out and tried the codes again. jumped the right terminals and the cel flashed repeatedly and never stopped no pattern it just kept flashin?????anybody seen that before
Old 05-15-2009, 01:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
continuous flashing like that, just on-off-on-off-on-off forever means no codes stored.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:49 AM

so anyhow, you said you did a tune-up... guessing you set the timing, no? if not, here's how:

get the engine up to normal operating temperature, keep engine running:
adjust the idle speed to spec with the screw on TOP of the throttle body (is about 1/2" in diameter)
with the engine running, insert the jumper like you did to pull the codes
- engine rpm's should change when you insert the jumper (should idle a tad lower)
adjust timing to spec
remove jumper
if idle speed goes out of spec, re-adjust and repeat until timing is correct with jumper in and idle is correct with jumper out
then go see how it pulls hills.

also, what size tires have you?

Last edited by abecedarian; 05-15-2009 at 01:52 AM.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:17 AM

just running your standard issue 265's. gonna run through your procedure right now dude also i just wanna say im stoked to find no codes lol. i will be back within the hour to update after i got her all timed up the RIGHT way. thanks for all the help dude
Old 05-16-2009, 09:40 AM

so maybe not within the hour but im back with bad news i ran through and adjusted the idle screw and timing and it improved it a little bit but its still runs like sh**. i dont know that swap to the 3.4 sounds really good right now. just thinkin about how many parts i've thrown at it i could have bought at least half my stuff for the swap lol.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:04 AM

Well, not sure what to say... depending on the hill / grade, sometimes 50 at the top is all I can muster safely. I-5 / Grapevine down here is like a 6% grade and I'm hard pressed to keep the speed up it, but I'm a 22re....

I know you said you have compression, but did you actually check it with a gauge?
Old 05-17-2009, 01:04 PM

yes sir...right at 150 at all cylinders. its ok though im not "giving up" but im just gonna tear it out and put in a 3.4.