Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3VZE starting/stalling issue...

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 07:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 3VZE starting/stalling issue...

I've got another '94 PU, w/ a 3VZE and 160k... Nice truck, but I've not had it very long.

A while back, I ran it out of gas (whoops!) and now it either won't start, or if it does, won't run for very long. So far I've checked for spark, changed the EFI relay and the fuel filter, but the problem still persists...

My 22RE had a bad fuel distributor once (@ ~205k miles), and I recall the mechanic who worked on it cursing me because he had to drop the tank twice to fix it (thought it was the pump first)...

Could either of these be the problem on my "new" 3VZE, and if so, is it worth it for me to take the time to drop the tank myself to fix it?

-Johnny
Old 10-15-2007, 09:45 AM
Contributing Member

It sounds like there was something wrong with the pick-up filter screen in the tank and you have some crud in the fuel line... FWIW I've ran mine dry more times then I care to think about with no problems but I know that my tank is VERY clean inside [I had to drop it once to put in a new fuel pump/sending unit] so that [crud] is not an issue for me...
You may need to get the fuel system power flushed or else a new fuel pump/sending unit...
hope this helped aviator

Last edited by aviator; 10-15-2007 at 09:48 AM.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:27 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
What Aviator said is a definite possibility, but you can try this little test.

Take a paper clip and put either end into the two terminals labled "FP" and "B+" in the little, plastic grey box located over the pass. side wheel well. It will be labeled "diagnostic box". This is jumping or bypassing the circuits that operate the fuel pump within the EFI....or essentially "hardwiring" the fuel pump. This way you can determine if the problem is within the circuitry and not a blockage in fuel delivery. If it will run and not die, then begin testing the VAF meter (volume airflow meter) according to the FSM instructions. If it still continues to die on you, then it's either the pump itself, the fuel filter, or as Aviator suggested.

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...92volumeai.pdf
Old 10-15-2007, 11:50 AM

Thumbs up

Thanks a ton for the info guys. I'm not a noob when it comes to VW's, but the 'Yota's have required so little maintenance since I got one, I just haven't had the need to dig into one...

Unfortunately, I've dropped it off w/ the aforementioned mechanic, because I have ZERO time this week to look @ it, and I have a brake job to do this weekend (among other things)... I'll print out your suggestions and drop them off w/ my tech.

Peace,
Johnny
Old 10-15-2007, 11:52 AM

lol we come from the same family, its nice to not have to fix things everyday
although i miss my dub more then ever time for another one, i think your fuel filter is just plugged up, could have sucked up rust/dirt
Old 10-15-2007, 01:24 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Keep in mind your problem may be unrelated to fuel delivery.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:57 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Albert.G
lol we come from the same family, its nice to not have to fix things everyday
although i miss my dub more then ever time for another one, i think your fuel filter is just plugged up, could have sucked up rust/dirt
I love my Dubs, but the two I love the most are the ones I need to fix the least ('03 Passat W8 Sport Wagon, '94 Corrado SLC).

Already changed the external filter, but the in-tank filter/screen may be clogged...

Originally Posted by thook
Yep... My "check" for spark entailed spraying starting fluid (ether) in to the throttle-body. It happened to work so I determined spark was "good"... Spoke to the mechanic this morning, and he thinks it's ignition related. If I'd had more time, and a little help, I'd have done a little more thorough diagnosis myself.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:22 AM

Question

Anybody in the Greater Detroit area have an ignition module for a 3VZE I can borrow to see if that's my problem?
Old 10-19-2007, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by thook
Yeah what he said