86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3vze questions for my 94 runner

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3vze questions for my 94 runner

Just started tearing top of engine down due to coolant in oil. Hopefully head gasket issue as I did not overheat motor. Seems like every electrical clip I remove is brittle and breaking or broke. Intake manifold is also stuck on. I have found some input on removing intake but am wondering what is the best way. Any input into an aftermarket wiring harness and advice for the do's and
dont's and 'while your at it is appreciated.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:09 AM

I'm in the middle of a 3vze HG job right now. My intake manifold came off pretty easy. Not sure about after market wiring harnesses? Toyota will rape you $$$ for anything you get from them. While you're at it... check the valve clearances. It's a real PITA if you need different sized shims. I'm also replacing the knock sensor wiring harness, Fuel injector o-rings, PCV valve and grommet. I also had a few chunks missing from the #6 piston. Cylinder wall looked fine. So I'm replacing #6 piston with new rings. Crossing my fingers nothing else needs needs replacing.
Attached Thumbnails 3vze questions for my 94 runner-photo-3.jpg  
Old 04-13-2013, 12:05 PM

I just recently did the headgaskets and all engine gaskets on my 4runner about a month ago n i had the same issues as you. I used a big snapon flat head screwdriver ti slowly lift the intake manifold off the heads. My knock sensor connector was broken n the wires were brittle so i ended up rewiring the sensor and soldered butt connectors to the sensor. I took off my windsheild washer resevoir and cruise control since it didnt work n got rid of the wires for them n rewraped my entier engine wire harness with electrical tape. Just be careful when disconnecting sensirs so you dont break them. Now is also a good time to replace the vacuum hoses. Autozone sells them by the foot for like $2
Old 04-14-2013, 03:01 PM

I have a 90 4runner, and my HG just went today! Since it seems like their was or is a special service campaign for 90-95 truck or 4runner with 3vz-e V6 engines.. Toyota was replacing head gaskets free of charge for these model years and motor. Unfortunatley I have the receipt from the previouse owner of my runner of when he already got it done, and toyota did do it as part of that special service campaign, but now it went again and I'm wondering how long its going to hold up once I fix it!? My fear is of fixing it and since its some kind of a factory defect on these motors,who knows how quick it will blow again.. What is everyones opinion on this?? And any suggestions?
Old 04-14-2013, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by bbeast1985
I have a 90 4runner, and my HG just went today! Since it seems like their was or is a special service campaign for 90-95 truck or 4runner with 3vz-e V6 engines.. Toyota was replacing head gaskets free of charge for these model years and motor. Unfortunatley I have the receipt from the previouse owner of my runner of when he already got it done, and toyota did do it as part of that special service campaign, but now it went again and I'm wondering how long its going to hold up once I fix it!? My fear is of fixing it and since its some kind of a factory defect on these motors,who knows how quick it will blow again.. What is everyones opinion on this?? And any suggestions?
I second that, I just purchased my 4runner in February for $1600, clean in and out.. didnt know about this problem, now they tell me my cylinder 2 no compression, could need new head gaskets?
Old 04-14-2013, 06:30 PM

These motors are know for having HG issues. I checked the recall right after i bought mine in 2004. supposedly, they changed the gasket material after 93. But not the cross over pipe that constantly heats the #6 cyl. That being said, my 1995 went for 242k before it went. I'm planning on driving mine for as long as i can keep it on the road.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:29 PM

headgasket pictures

Here are pics of the head gasket. I am going to Toyota Dealership to tomorrow to order the gasket. Not sure if I will replace the bolts, I now its not a bad idea but we will see what the price on the gasket is. I also need some new exhaust bolts and I am also going to price a wiring harness although I know it will be too expensive.
Attached Thumbnails 3vze questions for my 94 runner-img_20130414_202004.jpg   3vze questions for my 94 runner-img_20130414_201739.jpg   3vze questions for my 94 runner-img_20130414_201758.jpg  
Old 04-15-2013, 12:56 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
The wiring harness is in several parts (you may be thinking of Wire, Engine or Wire, Engine No. 2). Most of the harnesses are no longer available (why they would ever make an entire harness a replaceable part is beyond me), but ToyotaPartsZone indicates that some are still available (multi-hundred dollar, or course).

If what you're worried about is the connectors, those you might be able to get. According to: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116.../#post51967525 , you can read part of the part number right off the connector. Then you have to find out whether you can get it with "pigtails" (which you will splice and solder) or just shell-and pins (which you will crimp directly onto the wire, giving you factory finish).
Old 04-15-2013, 05:51 PM
Banned

I am getting conflicting opinions, thought I would get some expert advice on this thread! - How can a mechanic conclude my crank bearings are shot just by looking at chocolate milk on the dipstick?
Everyone I ask tells me yeah, might need to clean out the engine and flush the radiator, but other than a new head gasket the engine should be fine. Would you guys agree?

Last edited by Chewie; 04-15-2013 at 06:08 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:11 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Chewie -

Welcome to Yotatech.

Before you go any farther, consider looking at the help section. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f122/ Then you'll know that posting a crank bearing question in a thread on wiring harnesses is not a good way to get useful answers. The help section will also tell you how to post pictures.

Take some time to look through other questions and answers. Once you do that, you'll know that when you ask any question, you'll always be better off if you supply the type of vehicle you're talking about! (No, not just "Toyota." Year, engine, and other details as relevant (like 4x4 or SR5)).

Good luck!
Old 04-15-2013, 06:18 PM

how to know if my 90' 4runner had the ssc?

Originally Posted by bbeast1985
How do i find out if my 4runner had the special service campaig. On the head gasket?
Old 04-15-2013, 10:13 PM

Call Toyota give them your vin #, I went to a local dealer and they told me
Old 04-16-2013, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by OUTKKAST
Just started tearing top of engine down due to coolant in oil. Hopefully head gasket issue as I did not overheat motor. Seems like every electrical clip I remove is brittle and breaking or broke. Intake manifold is also stuck on. I have found some input on removing intake but am wondering what is the best way. Any input into an aftermarket wiring harness and advice for the do's and
dont's and 'while your at it is appreciated.
I just went through removing a stuck on intake. As this thread is 3 days old, you may have figured this out by now but here is what I experienced.

The intake gasket on my motor had failed at some point at the water jackets at the rear of the motor. This caused a lot of corrosion on the studs, completely seizing the drivers side rear to the intake. After many attempts at heating, prying, spraying, etc, I decided to remove the stud. I snapped the stud off just above the intake leaving less to drill. I took my time drilling the stud out of the intake increasing drill bit size a little at a time. In between drill bits I used a pick to pry as must stud away from intake hole as possible. Eventually I was able to get the intake off and then proceeded to drill the stud out of the block. I was contemplating using an "easy out" but since the stub was so corroded in the block I didn't want to take the chance of snapping one off in the stud. I got a helicoil and new stud and installed. The time spent fighting with trying to spray, heat, pry, be careful not to gouge the intake or head...... Was crazy. Drilling, helicoiling, installing new stud took less than 45 min.

Here's what mine looked like: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...e-3vze-267517/

Here's the heads up..... If your not confident with this type of work (drilling freehand into your motor) I suggest taking a different route. You can cause damage that will cost way more to repair than taking your motor to a mechanic/machine shop.