YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 86-95 Trucks & 4Runners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-25-2011, 05:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Personal Sales Rating: (3)

gottadog
3vze oil cooler

I pulled my motor and have another block being built locally. Today I was pulling accessories and brackets off my motor and got the engine oil cooler off. couldn't blow through the coolant lines so I put one coolant hose in my garden hose and blew the crud out. I noticed some water leaking threw the hole the bolt goes through to mount it to the block. I'm not terribly familiar with the part, it honestly took a bit of search to find what it is. So I'm gonna say it looks like water is seeping through the fins, or tubes, or plates, not sure how its constructed but it looks almost like a motorcycle clutch, stack of plates.

Anyone know if these are rebuildable or replaceable (hopefully not through Toyota). Or possibly a kit to install either an additional filter or block it off. I don't mind a remote filter and oil cooler to do the job if I can get it blocked off.

Any experience or tips welcome.

Thanks guys.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!

Last edited by gottadog; 09-25-2011 at 05:16 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-25-2011, 05:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Subscribed. I would like to find out about this as well.
1993 Runner 4X 3VZE 5spd 189k+ Fire rebuild money pit!
Download the FSM here: http://www.ncttora.com/FSM/
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-25-2011, 05:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

gottadog
I just thought that maybe it is leaking because it was out of the motor and the torque of the bolt keeps the parts together. I just don't want to install it and ruin the lower end.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
GDR

That cooler always gets blocked up. It gets feed coolant from the block drain so what ever crud or rust that settles in the block goes right in the cooler. The coolant is self contained in the tube and fins. Coolant shouldn't be leaking through the bolt hole. Oil runs around the fins inside the container and through the bolt.

Where the cooler mounts is actually a oil filter mount.The block has 2 filter mounts. I have a 2wd so my cooler is in the front and the filter is in the back. 4wd is the other way around. If you have the room you can put another filter there. You just have to get the threaded nipple to put in the block for the filter. Any of the remote filter or cooler mounts will work too since it is a standard oil filter mount.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

gottadog
Perfect. Thank you for that GDR. I'll just put an aftermarket oil cooler on that side. Guess I'll be calling toyota for that threaded nipple.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
Contributing Member

It came stock on the trucks with towing package option; optional on all others.

Usually, you only have to replace the THREE o-rings in the unit. If it's rusted through due to inattention to the cooling system, it will need replacement.

As stated, you can replace it with an oil filter or other options (outboard filter system).

Multipe FSMs!!!
EPIC 3VZE info thread
Cheap OEM Parts: www.toyotaofnewnan.com

Old 09-26-2011, 06:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

gottadog
Anyone knoe the secs on the threaded nipple needed for screwing on a filter?
Old 04-15-2012, 11:19 AM   #8 (permalink)

Leviation23
Leak!!

I have pinpointed an oil leak to that remote oil filter on my 3.0 vze. I bought an o-ring kit hoping that will do. Anybody have any insider tips I should know about??
Old 04-15-2012, 03:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

Change both coolant bypass hoses while you have it off. Easiest way to get to it is to remove the drivers side tire, the rubber skirt, and work through the wheel well.
1993 Runner 4X 3VZE 5spd 189k+ Fire rebuild money pit!
Download the FSM here: http://www.ncttora.com/FSM/
Old 04-15-2012, 03:43 PM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
30, 3vz, 3vze, aftermarket, cooler, coolers, engine, filter, hoses, installation, oil, oring, remote, removal, replace, toyota