Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

To 3VZE or not to 3VZE? Thats the question

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 11:49 AM

Location: Henderson, Nevada. Two traffic lights away from Vegas!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To 3VZE or not to 3VZE? Thats the question

I purchased my 4Runner from a friend about a year and a half ago. He let it go for 1,500 cause it had the dreaded blown headgasket. Interior was in really good shape. The outside is not to bad except for a little kick panel damage and a few scratches here and there. Paint still kicks butt!
I figured it was a steal! All I had to do was pull the motor get it rebuilt and throw in a new exhaust to give it some peep. Well low and behold it was a pretty tuff job. Thanks to yotatech it made the rebuild alot easier cause every question I had was already answered here on yotatech. I mean eveytime I Googled something it took me straight back to yotatech. All you guys Rock on here!!
Anyways. After all ready putting in a ton of money into this awesome truck is when I started to read about all the bad stuff about the 3VZE. Man does that little motor have a bad rap! It actually was a kick in the gutt for me to read all that! 4 cylinder power with V8 gas milage. I was like.........DAMN what did I get myself into????
I will say this guys staight up! I love my little 3VZE! I port and polished the upper and lower intake, put headers on it and of course a K&N filter, E3 spark plugs, new exhaust and I must say I am satisfied. This little motor started right up except for an issue with my MAF. After that it was up and ready to go! Sure the motor is not all that quick but I have a 69 Stang with a 351 Windsor in it that makes up for that loss any day!!!
My question is this. If you were in my situation like I was back then and read all that crap about the 3VZE would you have backed out and sold your Toy with a 3VZE in it. Lets say the motor swap wasnt a choice.
I personally think my truck kicks butt in the dirt and the street. I am totally happy with my 4Runner. Maybe cause its my first truck, or maybe cause it is soooo hated by others. Well the motor that is. Dont know really?
Even though I love my truck I think that if I read all that bad stuff first I probably would have not bought it. I know thats crappy but its the truth. Hopefully me thinking positive will keep my 3VZE happy and not blow another head gasket. LOL!! OH! And maintenance. Ha Ha!!
Well sorry for rambling on. Just needed to talk a little and express my feelings about the 3VZE that could!
Old 06-08-2009, 11:51 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
once you go 3.4L you wont go back
Old 06-08-2009, 12:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i would have done it the same way you did. not EVERYONE has problems with them. i worked with a guy who had one with 350,000 miles on it and had ONLY done a couple timing belts. i think optimistically.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
what year and mileage?? 1500 bucks would have sealed the deal for me, i recentlty got my 88 v6 for 900 bucks after it sat behind the original owners yard for two years, she's basically a beater but it has a special place in MY heart!! i try to keep her under 3 grand just checked the timing belt. U gotta remember, as far as Toyota motors go, that the 3vze has to compete with the legendary 22r series motors, which is a pretty tough act to follow...
Old 06-08-2009, 02:04 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
i would have bought it anyways... i knew that these motors had their quirks, and that didnt bug me in the least bit... mainly because i knew it was a toyota and no matter what it would KEEP going...

edit: i would NOT have bought it if it had an auto in it tho... i dont do autos...
Old 06-08-2009, 03:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mine has 230,000 miles and runs great. I bought the truck last year and pulled the heads to replace burned exhaust valves but it didn't blow the HG. The bottom end is in great shape and the engine doesn't burn any oil. There are millions of 3.0's out there and probably hundreds of thousands that have had no trouble. I enjoy mine.
Bugs
Old 06-08-2009, 03:09 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah I've driven mine around the house a few times and even with the blown head gasket I think it does ok, haha. I think it will be fine after ISR and headers.

Got mine for 1000 with a lift and CB lol. Plus its a manual and has all the options, power everything. I think i got an ok deal.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:56 PM

i locked mine up twice from overheating from catastrophic coolant loss relining it through a mud bog and it still funtions flawlessly which i find quit impressive for any motor thats has a semi abusive 180000 odd miles on it. but stated bluntly preformance sucks
Old 06-08-2009, 05:15 PM

To those who think power sucks ever owned a 22re? The 3.0 smokes them hands down. If I had a choice I would go 4 banger though. I don't really care as much about power and there is way more room to work under the hood. But mine has 182k and running strong. I have blown a head gasket on a 4 banger tacoma and pickup but not one on a 3.0. Wierd I know......