Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

3vze low compression - Not starting.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 07:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3vze low compression - Not starting.

Ok so I think i have figured out my problem, but before I put the engine back together I though I would ask.

I am in the process of doing a topend rebuild. The heads were resurfaced, had a valve job done and pressure checked at a local shop. I had been burning oil, poor fuel economy and all around leaking fluid everywhere.

It turned out I had a 3 leaking valves and when I did a compression check the pressure went up on #1 cylinder when I added oil. So I also replaced the rings while I had it torn apart.

I was dumb (Never replacing rings before and not reading up enough) and did not hone the cylinders. I put the engine back together and could not get it to start. I had spark, gas and air, but when I did a compression check all the cylinders were at 60psi and when i added oil it jumped to 90psi. I checked the timing and it was fine.

So where I am at is I have torn the engine apart again removing the heads and pistons. I have honed the cylinders.

Now my questions.
1. The pistons and the block are stamped with a 2. Does this mean i should have bought some sort of oversize rings? The FSM does not say anything except for when it is .5 over. I'm guessing I do not need oversize rings and the standard rings are good enough. the FSM says the difference between #1 stamp and #3 stamp is .02

2. Should I replace my rings again because they did not set and the cylinder was not honed?

3. Is there any other reason that there would have been low compression and it to jump when i added oil?

Any HELP would be welcomed.