Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

3VZE - Loud Ticking Sound

Old 03-26-2008, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3VZE - Loud Ticking Sound

I have been searching a lot on this subject and realize it might be hard for anyone to really nail this down but here it goes.

My 91 3VZE engine ticks like crazy, almost embarassing to a point. As soon as I start it up it ticks and does not stop until I shut it down. It is a constant tick that you can hear very well at running temp as well as cold start. When I accelerate the tick just gets louder and a bit faster but usually always the same pitch, just tick.tick.tick.tick. and it never goes away.

I checked the valve covers and they seem torqued right and it does not feel like the cam might be hitting the cover as mentioned in a previous post. It almost sounds like my injectors when I put my ear near the engine while it is running. I can hear it good on the drivers side but I think the plenum might be absorbing some of the noise on the passenger side.

I dropped the heads of at the local NAPA store due to some bad valves and compression issues. The machinist put in some new valves and guides, I assume he adjusted them, he charged me for it. The engine ticked a little before the heads were redone but nothing like it is doing now. Maybe tearing the engine apart and putting it back together made it worse?

Could it be the injectors? Would cleaning them help this ticking or should I look at buying some new ones? The engine has 216K miles on it and maybe this is normal. Everything runs good on it, nice truck for sure and it loves the mud. I know exhaust leaks and this is not it. Maybe it is the valves?

If it is the valves, what SST tools do I buy and where can I get them? Also the shims, any good sites?

Thanks.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:12 PM

Going to see if I can find a piece of metal, screwdriver or something that I can press against the ear and injector and see if I can tell anything. Thanks all for looking. Will let you know what I find. Will see if I can work on a sound clip or something.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes I believe injectors can tick. Not sure what you can do to remedy it though.

Rob
Old 03-26-2008, 01:17 PM

if you can hear the tick at your feet from inside the truck.. id say its your exhaust.. where your header and downpipe connect. its a PITA to get that to seal. just an idea..

good luck
JT
Old 03-26-2008, 02:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My truck is a 91 3VZE. I had the problem you are describing about a year ago. My oil had gotten too low at one point which led to the same kind of ticking sound you're describing. It ended up being my pistons. It was unrepairable. I ended up buying a rebuilt engine through Jasper. Truck has been running like a champ ever since.
Just a thought but, have your piston(s) checked. Hopefully you won't have ot replace your engine too. But....if you ever do, look into Jasper, very highly recommended and they guarantee their engines.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:21 PM

x2 on the injectors and the exhaust

your on the right track by checking them with a screw driver.

report back your findings
Old 03-29-2008, 09:59 AM

I have a similar ticking sound coming from my fuel rail. I isolated it with a length of rubber hose. On my '94 3VZE, I can even feel the ticking when I put my finger on pressure regulator AND the damper. See if yours is doing the same. You can hold one end of the tubing to your ear and other end to different parts of your engine. If it was your valves, you'd clearly hear it when you press the tube on your valve cover(s).
Old 03-29-2008, 10:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since there is an apparent direct correlation of ticking and head work, I would go to the shop and ask the machinist what clearance he put on the exhaust and intake valves. He better come up with factory numbers or they are in for some expense in getting them set right at the dealer. I think the intake are around 0.004 and the exhaust are 0.006. At around 0.010 they get very noisey from first hand experience.

Yes, injectors can produce some noise and so can the fuel rail damper which may be shot. I think the latter is integral with the pressure regulator.

Best of luck with the hunt....

My $0.02
Old 03-29-2008, 01:32 PM

Lifter tick. Have the valves adjusted.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:13 AM

Thanks for the replies, unfortunately I have been unable to check into this further but I have some free time this week and will let you all know.

I will ask the machinist who did my heads as was mentioned above and explore the exhaust leak possibility. Searching on the forums here it sounds like an exhaust leak can really sound nasty on toyota engines. I get good temps, no overheating etc... and the oil pressure seems to be good, assuming the guage works. Truck runs great, times right etc... just embarasing.

I held the phone to it this weekend and had my dad listen; he said it sounds like the old tractors they used to use on the farm. Like a diesel. Also, when I shift into second, manual trans, it stutters a bit but I just give it more gas and it works. Same going into 3rd but not as bad.

Anyways, thanks for the input. Just trying to get this truck in great shape for a daily driver. My 2000 Dodge 360 is hurting the pocketbook these days.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:24 AM

Well we managed to locate the ticking sound and isolated it to the valves. I wanted to know what tool kit might work for me to tackle this myself. I don't mind learning but I will stop by the machinist who redid my heads and see what went wrong and maybe they can remedy the problem or refund me something.

While I wait to talk to them, is this what I need for a valve adjustment tool set? http://www.zdmak.com/wbstore/main.as...CTMP=1&LowCt=0

Is there anything else or another set that has worked for others?

Thanks.
Old 04-18-2018, 11:26 AM

1988 Toyota Pickup 3.0 4x4 - New Reman Motor - Loud Ticking

Hey Everyone!

I am relatively new here, so please bear with me: I have a 1988 Pickup 3.0 4x4 with a Brand New Re-manufactured Motor (3VZE) and am just passed the break-in mileage, and have a loud ticking that is definitely louder on the driver's side. More noticeable through the Driver's Side Wheel Well. I am not sure, but I believe it to be more of an exhaust leak than Lifters or Injectors seeing as the motor is brand new. I do notice the tick more when she's cold, that at temp - minimal at idle - very loud at acceleration. However, seems to go away when speed is steady. So the load definitely makes a difference. Any ideas? Look for the $0.02 of you Pro's.

Thanks.