Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

3vze Intermittent Shutdowns!

Old 06-08-2016, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3vze Intermittent Shutdowns!

So my truck is a 5 speed '94 3vze with about 190,000. She was sitting for six months in a tow yard waiting for me, when I finally picked her up I had to replace the master cylinder, bleed the brakes, top off the oil and replace the battery. Drove from Gilroy back to San Jose and I noticed a few hesitations where I still had power but the tac would drop to zero and a split second later the engine would catch itself and keep running. The next day I drove over the mountain to Santa Cruz with no issue and on my way back down the hill the engine died out again but wouldn't catch, again i still had full power (lights and radio were fine). I pulled to the side of the highway and tried to start it up, it cranked but the engine wouldn't turn over. Got it towed back home to San Jose and thought it was an issue with the distributor so I replaced the cap and it actually drove fine around the city for a few hours. When I got back on the highway however, it died once again while I was getting up in 4th with the same symptoms (full power, no crazy heat or pressure or random noise, the tachometer just dropped to zero). Sometimes when the engine is cold it will run for a few minutes around the block but dies shortly thereafter. Now I'm thinking it could be my AFM, but not sure whether I should start messing with it, I've read enough to know not to remove the two screws on the plate of the AFM. Anyone ever experienced this issue before? About to replace the plugs for good measure and already checked the fuel pump by bridging connection from the diagnosis box to the battery, even swapped the circuit opening relay just to be sure. Now I'm stuck and in danger of getting towed (hate living in the city). Please let me know what you think! Thank you guys
Old 06-09-2016, 03:45 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Before I start chasing issues on a truck, I make sure I have great a complete and great tune up done with quality parts. Once that is done and issues persist, I would start checking all my ignition parts/coil per the manual. Not really much of a test you can do for the Igniter even with a Factory Service Manual.

The AFM has never thrown a code on me unless it is disconnected. I have found a couple of bad AFMs by running a resistance check per a repair manual. No need to disassemble the AFM, just do the test with a meter and access to the pins. I have had some bad AFMS that never threw a code.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:45 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Duplicate post

Last edited by Terrys87; 06-09-2016 at 03:53 AM.
Old 06-09-2016, 06:13 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Have you checked for any stored codes?
Sounds like you eliminated a fuel delivery issue.
My guess without seeing it, is it's some kind of electronic system issue.
Do the proper tune-up as mentioned and pull out the good book (FRM)
I had an issue with my TPS a while back Tach would randomly change while idling.
Did a ohm read out on TPS and it was failing. Replaced it, problem solved.
But I have to say it could be a number of things. Your going to just have to sort it out one by one. Good luck

Last edited by ksti; 06-09-2016 at 06:17 PM.