86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3vze carnage

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3vze carnage

Thought you guys might find this interesting. Was just driving along, heard a clunk, and the motor stalled.

As far as we know something caused the driver side cam to seize up (thrown rod, maybe?), the pin sheared, and the timing belt tightened the cam bolt until it sheared off.

Worst luck ever :mad3:

It still turns over at the crank.

Clicky for fullsize:
Old 05-21-2012, 05:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ick. major problems batman. now is a good time to find a 3.4
Old 05-21-2012, 06:12 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ouch!
Old 05-21-2012, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by fork
ick. major problems batman. now is a good time to find a 3.4
It's looking more like a one way trip to the scrap yard unless I can find someone willing to pay more than what it's for scrap

It was such a good looking truck

Old 05-21-2012, 07:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
It must have been some helluva thing that stopped a cam in it's tracks...if you open up the valve cover, we'd be interested to see what it looks like....
Old 05-21-2012, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by SeaWulf
It's looking more like a one way trip to the scrap yard unless I can find someone willing to pay more than what it's for scrap
If you want to get rid of it, go for it, but a 3.4 swap will make it a whole new rig. Personally, I'd rather fix up what I got than buy something else with a whole new set of problems.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by BMcEL
If you want to get rid of it, go for it, but a 3.4 swap will make it a whole new rig. Personally, I'd rather fix up what I got than buy something else with a whole new set of problems.
If I don't get rid of it, I have access to a 91 pickup rolling chassis so I could do a 4cyl swap

I just graduated high school and don't have the time/money to do a 3.4 swap. I need something more economical anyway
Old 05-21-2012, 07:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
another 3.slow killed its self thats nothing new... ya do a 3.4 swap
Old 05-21-2012, 08:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
swapping in a 4cyl is not nearly as easy as a 3.4 swap. but if you have everything to do it, then so be it.. good luck
Old 05-21-2012, 08:51 PM

personally I would rather do a 1uz-fe motor swap then the 22re swap. its a little more work to fit the motor but you get a but load of power and an upgrade transmission (if you want it)

for that matter... if you have access to a local wrecking yard.. keep your eye out for a 3uz-fe. it would hook up to a tundra transmission with no adapters needed.

there is lots of options other then a little 4 cylinder that will get 20mpg + when hooked up under the hood of a 4runner. if you do decide to rebuild, look into the DOHC option for the engine. it uses a 3.4 intake to make it work and camry heads off of the 3.0 v6. it makes more power then the 3.4 with a 3.0 displacement.
dont get me wrong.. the 22re is a great little motor that powers a lot of toyota's everywhere they need... just not for me. I like being able to tow big trailers with lots of toys.

no matter what you decide to do... make sure its gonna last and do it right the first time.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by 2big4arunner
if you do decide to rebuild, look into the DOHC option for the engine. it uses a 3.4 intake to make it work and camry heads off of the 3.0 v6. it makes more power then the 3.4 with a 3.0 displacement.
I was under the impression no one ever really finished this. Do you have more info?
Old 05-22-2012, 07:52 AM

Anything but the scrap yard. Part it out first so the parts live on. But really, that's too pretty to part.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:26 PM

I could use a part or two, if you still have it
Old 05-22-2012, 01:12 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by SeaWulf
Thought you guys might find this interesting.
What would be really interesting is if we knew exactly how that happened.

BUT, for all we know...you broke the bolt overtightening it...or any other manner of setting the scene to make it look as if something like what you describe may actually have occured. What I'm getting at is...where's the carnage? I'm not seeing any. I might be seeing where the knock pin for the camshaft timing pulley is sheared off inside the hole. Or I might be seeing that it isn't, which would make your story a lot harder to believe. The pic isn't that great though...so I dunno...

Last edited by MudHippy; 05-22-2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:25 AM

i think you just have a broken cam bolt. usually if a bottom end takes a dump, the belt and timing arent affected. i would think even in such an event, the belt would shred or break long before that cam bolt.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Green antifreeze? Mine has Toyota Red in it. Anyway, find out whats wrong with it would be my suggestion... No reason to do away with the 4runner over such a seemingly small fix.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm having a hard time believing that the belt stood up long enough to break the cam bolt.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks like the bolt stress fractured possibly from being overtorqued at install and time just killed it. I can see where once the cam bolt was going the timing belt caused the pin to shear. Being a non-interference enging the head may be very well ok....the cam may have been no so lucky.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by BMcEL
Originally Posted by Elton
another 3.slow killed its self thats nothing new... ya do a 3.4 swap
Originally Posted by fork
swapping in a 4cyl is not nearly as easy as a 3.4 swap. but if you have everything to do it, then so be it.. good luck
Originally Posted by 2big4arunner
personally I would rather do a 1uz-fe motor swap then the 22re swap. its a little more work to fit the motor but you get a but load of power and an upgrade transmission (if you want it)

for that matter... if you have access to a local wrecking yard.. keep your eye out for a 3uz-fe. it would hook up to a tundra transmission with no adapters needed.

there is lots of options other then a little 4 cylinder that will get 20mpg + when hooked up under the hood of a 4runner. if you do decide to rebuild, look into the DOHC option for the engine. it uses a 3.4 intake to make it work and camry heads off of the 3.0 v6. it makes more power then the 3.4 with a 3.0 displacement.
dont get me wrong.. the 22re is a great little motor that powers a lot of toyota's everywhere they need... just not for me. I like being able to tow big trailers with lots of toys.

no matter what you decide to do... make sure its gonna last and do it right the first time.
Originally Posted by Lycanistic
Green antifreeze? Mine has Toyota Red in it. Anyway, find out whats wrong with it would be my suggestion... No reason to do away with the 4runner over such a seemingly small fix.
Thanks for the input, but I'm 17, working full time making minimum wage, already have a project vehicle, and moving away to go to college in 3 months.

I would LOVE to do a motor swap and keep the 4runner, but it's just not a viable option.

Originally Posted by jslone
Anything but the scrap yard. Part it out first so the parts live on. But really, that's too pretty to part.
I sold it to a buddy with a rusted out 4runner that came from Wisconsin. He's gonna swap the body onto his chassis, so it will live on.

Originally Posted by MudHippy
What would be really interesting is if we knew exactly how that happened.

BUT, for all we know...you broke the bolt overtightening it...or any other manner of setting the scene to make it look as if something like what you describe may actually have occured. What I'm getting at is...where's the carnage? I'm not seeing any. I might be seeing where the knock pin for the camshaft timing pulley is sheared off inside the hole. Or I might be seeing that it isn't, which would make your story a lot harder to believe. The pic isn't that great though...so I dunno...
Right, you got me. I broke my only running vehicle and made up some BS story for internet attention. How did you figure it out?

That's what I think happened, I don't know. I'm not a mechanic, but I do have some experience working as shop ho in a 4x4 shop. I haven't touched it except for tearing it down to see what was wrong with it.

Originally Posted by Vudujoose
I'm having a hard time believing that the belt stood up long enough to break the cam bolt.
See above

Originally Posted by rworegon
Looks like the bolt stress fractured possibly from being overtorqued at install and time just killed it. I can see where once the cam bolt was going the timing belt caused the pin to shear. Being a non-interference enging the head may be very well ok....the cam may have been no so lucky.
That's a possible explanation, your guess is as good as mine
Old 05-24-2012, 06:50 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
In other words...you're just not as interested in finding out what really happened as we are. But, if you could tear it down that far, you could just as easily tear it down far enough to figure out what really caused it. It's just nuts and bolts.

It's like watching the first half of a movie...and never seeing the last half to find out how it ends.

Quick Reply: 3vze carnage