86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3vze 95 runner overheating

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 08:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3vze 95 runner overheating

Yesterday I was driving about two hours down to the Outer Banks, NC. I made it all the way down there with no problems until i stopped at a gas station and noticed steam coming from my hood. I popped the hood and noticed coolant spraying out from a small hole in the upper radiator hose. I didn't think too much of it, I figured I could patch it up with some duct tape and be alright for the ride back, but I was very wrong about that haha. I kept driving with the hole open until I could get some tape, so I patched it and it held for a little bit until the tape melted/broke. After that is when it started going down hill, once the patch broke the temp guage jumped way up and eventually made it to red and I slowed down to about 20mph in a 50 and there was massive amounts of steam coming up into the car from all the vents and flowing out behind my car, I pulled over as soon as I could and looked under the hood, the hole had gotten alot bigger. So I went in a differrent car to get a new hose from carquest. I put the hose on hoping it would fix the overheating problems but it did not, I started it up and the temp guage jumped right back up to red. The coolant was pretty low so I added about a jug(gallon?) of water and a same sized jug of coolant at different times with the cap on and off at different times and the engine running sometimes and with it off at other times. The engine didnt get quite as hot but it was still running pretty hot. Right between the line of hot and cold which it has never done before. I talked to the guy at carquest and he said it could be an air bubble in the radiator from the way I filled it up. So eventually I got it to run right on the line between hot and cold or a tiny bit before it which I figured was alright to drive it home because I really didnt want to leave it two hours from home or get it towed 130 miles home. I drove about an hour and a half home with the heat on full blast and the temp guage right on the line. So my question is what could be wrong? Do I just need to flush the radiator? New Waterpump? new thermostat? new radiator? or what?
I have been noticing leaking coolant under my truck when its parked too. And when I drive it on the beach the engine heats up kind of fast but I also run it at 3k rpms on the sand. I dont know if im just going too fast or if it shouldnt heat up like that? Because its overheated on the beach before.

Short Version: Drove two hours and noticed a small hole in my upper radiator hose. Hole got bigger, overheated bad. I replaced the hose and it still overheated pretty much right when I started it. I have also noticed leaking coolant. I drove it home (130 miles) after adding coolant and the temp guage was between hot and cold but not actaully on hot yet. Im going to flush the radiator and see if that helps but could it be the waterpump or thermostat? Or do i just need a new radiator?

Any help is appreciated
Old 08-16-2010, 08:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
could be a bad thermostat...might as well replace that as well!

no it shouldn't heat up like that.

get the radiator hose replaced as well.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Id check for air in the system. Basic stuff first.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:50 PM

Thanks, any recommendations for themostat? Which brands?

And to camo: I replaced the upper hose, were you talking about the bottom one?
Old 08-16-2010, 05:08 PM
pwd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I've never replaced the t-stat yet...but your best bet is to buy an OEM one. If you don't want to spend money on a Toyota one, I'm sure anything will work; just may not last as long.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:26 PM

if you notice coolent leaking from the truck when its parked look at the bottom right of the timing belt cover and see if its coming from there, you may have blow the water pump/water pump gasket....and if it comig from just to the right of there just abover the lower rad hose its the thurmostat gasket i would say....ps. if you do a water pump replacement dont forget to change the timing belt and thurmostat
Old 08-16-2010, 09:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i was talking about the upper radiator hose..the one that was leaking! lol

the other posters in the thread are all recommending great stuff!
Old 08-16-2010, 11:46 PM
Contributing Member

Yup, do the water pump (and timing belt while you are at it - for the record, this can be quite a chore, but it can be done by a novice...) and then be sure to "burp" the cooling system. Best way is to park uphill on an incline and squeeze/manhandle the upper radiator hose to burp any air out...

How many miles on your rig, and when was the last time the water pump and timing belt was replaced?

As said above, it also wouldn't hurt to do the thermostat while you are in there....

This is a write up for the 3.4 timing belt replacement which is slightly different than the 3.0, but it will help you know what you are getting into... http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/timing_belt/

Search google for Toyota 3vze timing belt and water pump replacement and I am sure you'll find some good links... (<maybe even pirate has a good FAQ!?!)
Old 08-17-2010, 08:07 AM

I have about 139k but im not sure when the timing belt or waterpump were replaced, because I bought it with about 137 on it.

And to burp it does it have to be parked on a slope? Because theres no slopes in virginia beach.

Also, should I flush it and then burp it or what?
Old 08-23-2010, 07:27 AM

bump, took it into a shop a couple days ago to have them tell me whats wrong, then im gonna fix it myself.
I think its the waterpump leaking though.

If I replace the waterpump, timing belt, and thermostat is there anything else I should do while im in there?

thanks
Old 08-23-2010, 09:12 AM

Idler pulleys, timing belt tensioner and both radiator hoses.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:43 AM

alright

I found some pretty decent looking kits that come with everything on ebay for around $100.
Anyone tried these?
The waterpump brand is GMB
Old 08-23-2010, 11:30 AM

RockAuto also had some good prices on those items, the kit was made by Gates. Make sure you order the correct TB tensioner for your year; one version is hydraulic and one is a spring. (If my memory serves me correctly, the water pump may also be affected by the tensioner type as there may be a tab that holds one end of the TB tensioner spring for the spring version.)

Get a Toyota timing belt, they have marks on them that help you line up your crank and cams.

Good luck.

Last edited by Wrenchinjoe; 08-23-2010 at 11:31 AM.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:05 PM

Alright, thanks
Old 08-23-2010, 05:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I had the same issue only it blew out a pinhole in my radiator while stuck in traffic on I-5 on a hot summer day, nothing like boiling/spewing coolant to make your day; probably a combination of things, a slow coolant leak for starters. Over time without topping off the coolant, it must have gotten low enough to finally go even though it seemed fine until then. also, a good flush and LOTs of rinses to clean it, dirty coolant will clog and reduce the radiator's efficiency also.

Also, if you blew the hose at the top I would most certainly replace the bottom as well. I would start with some aggressive flushing/cleaning/maintenance and then work my way up to the thermostat/water pump etc. depending on how old they are.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:29 PM

Ok thanks, but there is a coolant leak coming from somewhere pretty low and its not the lower hose or radiator so Im assuming its the waterpump. What else could it be?
Old 08-24-2010, 08:49 AM

Shop said it had a blown head gasket....
I didnt see any white smoke though, can you blow one without alot of smoke?
Old 09-05-2010, 01:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I guess it IS possible..... Can't wait for the HG to go in mine, good excuse to finally buy that 3.4 waiting for me....

Lower than the radiator hose? not good I don't think; I have the same issue in mine although it is minimum but I always check on a bi-weekly basis on the coolant level; it has a slow leak. Mine seems to appear from nowhere, no one location or frequency, hard to pin down. I get random droplets spread around almost like it's hitting a belt or some good airflow. Very random.... (no, I don't spill coolant all over when I change it/add coolant)
Old 09-05-2010, 04:15 AM

Just finished doing the head gasket. Idled good but i havent driven it yet, hopefully all goes well.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:14 AM

T100 issue- new radiator, new thermostat, water pump bad?

new here. found your forum and thought there was some excellent info here. I have a 1993 T100 4wd 3.0L. I have had this vehicle since the showroom floor. I am having problems with a leak that started with overheating. The obvious fixes were the 4 inch super thin crack in top of radiator. I bought a brand new radiator, dropped it in. Filled it up and was thinking this will solve everything. After overheating AGAIN with new radiator, I replaced thermostat(next inexpensive fix). I drove it to work that night after letting it run for 10 min with no leaks or overheating. I thought this was the end of this problem. Get it to work and come out about 3 hours later to make a work related run. Noticed huge puddle on ground. It doesn't seem to be leaking around thermostat housing but it is pouring from that general area.

ANY suggestions before I start ripping timing belts off? I'm not an expert but I can learn how to do anything with diagrams for the most part. Help would be greatly appreciated! I also pulled the plugs, seems as though those are due for replacing also! Yes, I'm a lady but I figure my hands get greasy just as good as a guys...LOL

Thanks in advance!