Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

3vz starting/driving problem?

Old 03-24-2011, 02:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3vz starting/driving problem?

i was driving home today, the truck ran like it always does, i finally pulled into my yard, switched the truck from 4hi to 4low (like i always do in any 4x4 truck) second gear, and just let the clutch out and let it crawl up the hill so i dont leave ruts....it all of a sudden started cutting out as i reached mid-hill, i started giving it some gas and it would just die, and when i let off it sounded like it try to idle right again...

i tried to start the truck back up, it made that single click it usually makes when you try to start it without the clutch engaged, while the clutch was engaged. so i pused in the clutch by-pass switch and it still clicked, tried pushing the clutch and messing with the switch and the truck still clicked, so after awhile i held the key in for a few seconds and it made a quick grind noise like the starter was gridnding, but thats it....

since i was up on the hill, i got out, pushed backwards, put it in 4low and pop-started it. it idled fine, and ran fine when i gave it gas etc. so i put it in 1st and started climbing up the hill, then about midway again it started dyeing, it would idle very rough and cut in and out and the check engine light came one, so right when it was about to stall i pressed the clutch in, let it roll back down the hill and it ran fine. so this time when i went up the hill, i put it in 2 wheel drive, started up the hill and it was fine, it was just when i let the clutch fully out it would run terrible, so i pushed the clutch back in, revved it up, and drove up the hill with the clutch partially engagedand the engine revved up. once i got up the hill (back on level ground) i let the clutch fully out, then it stuttered and died, and now wont re-start.

the battery is good im sure, the transmission and transfer case seem to shift fine when the engine is running and the clutch is in, but its when i start to dis-engage the clutch i have problems....searched for problems like mine, but couldnt find anything that was the exact same problem....

it also idles good, then will idel rough, then idle good etc.. with the engine in neutral, or in gear with the clutch in

its an 88 3vz btw
Old 03-24-2011, 03:19 PM

the truck is also low on gas, the light came on about 2 days ago, and i probably drove about 4 miles since....but i was thinking maybe when the clutch comes out it will need more fuel and sputter etc. and when it was coming up the hill the gas was going to the back of the tank etc....but i dont think thats the problem, just figured id let you guys know
Old 03-24-2011, 05:15 PM

huh, guess noboy was interested in this thread lol...

well anyway, i rolled my truck down the hill again and pop started it...it idle'd funky for a little bit, but its all back to normal now, tried all the gears in 2wd 4x4 and 4x4 low and they all work well with the clutch in, out and partially engaged...

but i still have the click but no start problem...without thinking i parked it infront of my garage, wich is downhill...this is gonna be fun hahaha
Old 03-24-2011, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds like its a fuel sending issue, i would check the fuel filter and add some gas to the tank (i dont run on low fuel if i can help it because the fuel in the tank is what cools the fuel pump)

as for the one click starting issue i would check the starter relay and the starter electrical connections. my 3vze has the same starting issue, but is intermittent, after yotatech starter research it is most likely a loose wire or worn down contact in the starters solenoid(easily fixed and cheaper and more reliable than replacing the starter with a new(rebuilt) one from an auto parts store.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:03 PM

im new to 3vz's so i wasnt sure, i had an idea it was fuel related just by the way it was acting/sounding...but thanks for clearing that up.

and for the click but no start problem, i know thats a big issue with older toyota's, but i wasnt sure where to start. ill check grounds, trace the wires and check for corrosion etc. and all that and let you know what i come up with, thanks man
Old 03-24-2011, 07:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
3.4 swap! haha just kidding but put some gas in and i bet that will fix it, you were probably just sucking up all the dirt at the bottom of the fuel tank.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:10 PM

thats what i was scared off...did that once in my 85, and after changing the fuel filter i hope to never do it again lol

and i would do a 3.4 swap, but i bet your on craigslist eyeing them all up right?? LOL
Old 03-25-2011, 06:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ya man... u were on a hill, and your fuel light was on... and on for 2 days at that.... put some gas to her, and she'll be fine!
Old 03-25-2011, 06:30 AM

thanks team, lol and i was on low fuel for 2days, but i probably drove 4miles at best in those 2days, so its not like i was dangerously low on fuel...

i wouldnt want the sediment in the bottom of the tank to suck into my fuel filter, so i try not to run the fuel to low
Old 03-25-2011, 06:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
did u let it warm up at all before you drove it? 4 miles isnt that much, but... they use a lot more fuel when driving cold... either way... u got less than 1/8th tank, and were on a hill.... my rig does same thing when I let her get that low on fuel. which is exactly why I never(well I try anyway) let it get below 1/4 tank....

throw some fuel to her, and report back..... bet my left nut she b just fine....
Old 03-25-2011, 02:57 PM

i usually do let it warm up, i let my 85 warm up for a good 10 mins (till the neelde is 3/4 of the way up) but this one i only let it warm up untill its about 1/4 the way up.

i usally also dont let my tanks drop below a quater, but for some reason i just havnt been in the mood to get gas, wich is usually the highlight of my day LOL

but it was running fine afterwards, i pop started it today, and it was doing the old sputter when i let the clutch out, but that stopped after about 30 seconds or so...

i'll get gas tonight though, the weekends is when i do the most driving, ill let you know how i make out.

and thanks everybody, but can someone give me any ideas on where to start for the click but no start problem?? after wrenching on a 22re for awhile, this 3vz has me confused, i dont know where any wires are at all??