86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3VZ engine change, but not the "rest of the story", yet

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3VZ engine change, but not the "rest of the story", yet

I went with a remanufactured engine for my 1995 pickup with 260 K miles when the head gasket blew.

My first move was to join forums and see how others were dealing with the same problem. I followed or read about six threads, whether or not they were currently active and I developed an uneasy feeling about making it a DIY project. This is not to say there are not plenty of success stories out there, only that there are many variables and some can make for bad news.

I can't tell you how impressed I was with these guys doing their own work and sharing it with us. They had the smarts to ask questions on the forum and again I was impressed with the responses. I'm thinking, its hard to go very far off track with other posters that had BTDT looking over your shoulder. However, some of the results were horror stories and some never provided the "rest of the story".

There are two that standout in my pitiful memory and I can't recall their names. The first guy's plan was to do his own head gasket job and build up his tool box as the need arose for new tools. After the heads were off, he decided to do a complete engine rebuild and placed his order for a overhaul kit. I was cheering him on as he used the forum resources and made sure it was being done correctly. Then, IIRC, he blew another head gasket in a short time.

The other is very short and sweet. The guy ended up being charged about $1600 by the shop that did his heads. I've read of $1100 and around $500, I couldn't finalize an estimate for my repair.

So, after looking into the rebuilt head market I started doing the math, including the "might as well " stuff and the "cost effective while you're in there" stuff. I decided on a rebuilt or remanufactured engine and the search was on.

I settled on promarengine.com for my 3vz. It was $3,000 with free shipping to my door and free core pick up at my door. Three year unlimited mileage warranty and a gasket kit for the swap over items. It comes with the intake manifold installed and the valves adjusted.

Their paper work provides break-in procedures and a list of things that should be replaced. That added another $500 to my costs but what they say makes sense to me. Basically, these parts, if bad can contribute to head gasket failure, cat converter, EGR valve, thermostat, and oxygen sensor. I also replaced the fuel filter, breather element, spark plugs and sent my injectors for cleaning and testing. My total should be just short of $4,000. Long live my new engine, please.

The "rest of the story" will come after it fails again or I get about 5,000 trouble free miles recorded.

Harry
Old 02-08-2010, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i'm on the same path you are right now my friend... how is it going so far??
Old 02-09-2010, 06:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When the time comes I am not sure I will be willing to put $4,000 into my truck.

Let us know how that thing runs once it is installed and broken in.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:30 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
"There are two that standout in my pitiful memory and I can't recall their names. The first guy's plan was to do his own head gasket job and build up his tool box as the need arose for new tools. After the heads were off, he decided to do a complete engine rebuild and placed his order for a overhaul kit. I was cheering him on as he used the forum resources and made sure it was being done correctly. Then, IIRC, he blew another head gasket in a short time."

That was ME~

The HG didn't blow until 8,000 trouble-free miles were record, FYI... :-)

I replaced it with a Toyota OEM HG & retorqued 1/8 turn PAST the FSM instructions & have been running now for over 11,0000 miles without incident. I've since replaced my TOTALLY CLOGGED radiator with a new one & had no issues.

I REALLY wanted to put the 4.0 Lexus V-8 in but it just proved to be too costly, difficult, & time-consuming.

GOOD LUCK with your endeavor!!
Old 02-09-2010, 08:32 AM

If I may ask, why didn't you go with a 3.4 swap if you invested that much money?

The reason I ask is because for about $4,000, you could have obtained a remanned 3.4 and had everything to swap it in.

The only reason I chose a remanned 3.0 is because the total was about $1,800, with headers, custom exhaust, performance cams. I was going to do a 3.4, but being a kid in HS at the time, there was no way I had the extra time or money for it.

Don't get me wrong I see what you're doing and I'm not flaming you or anything, I'm just inquiring.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by TNRabbit
"There are two that standout in my pitiful memory and I can't recall their names. The first guy's plan was to do his own head gasket job and build up his tool box as the need arose for new tools. After the heads were off, he decided to do a complete engine rebuild and placed his order for a overhaul kit. I was cheering him on as he used the forum resources and made sure it was being done correctly. Then, IIRC, he blew another head gasket in a short time."

That was ME~

I replaced it with a Toyota OEM HG & retorqued 1/8 turn PAST the FSM instructions & have been running now for over 11,0000 miles without incident. I've since replaced my TOTALLY CLOGGED radiator with a new one & had no issues.

I REALLY wanted to put the 4.0 Lexus V-8 in but it just proved to be too costly, difficult, & time-consuming.

TNRabbbit IIRC was it the radiator that caused you HG to blow?
Old 02-09-2010, 08:36 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts

That was ME~