Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3VZ-E updated valve cover?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3VZ-E updated valve cover?

First post!

I just changed valve covers on my 3.slow in attempt to stop the massive leakage, and the new OEM covers that I bought from the dealer are a little different shape then my old ones. The new passenger valve cover has an angular bulge on the top whereas my old cover was flat.

Does anyone know the reason why they are different? Hopefully it is so they don't leak as bad :p.

Thanks for the replys.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Valve covers don't normally leak unless you've done something horrible to your engine like overheating it and warping the covers, or dropping a tree on them. What DOES leak are the gaskets, they get old and brittle over time. Also, if you try and just slap on some new gaskets or valve covers they'll still leak unless you use the FIPG black silicone material as directed on the FSM.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My dad was a toyota dealer tech for 8 years in the '90s. We have rebuilt this motor but used the old valve covers that had been on an overheated motor. Anyway we have resealed the covers putting the fipg in the corners of the covers right where the fsm says. After that didn't work we went with OEM gaskets, after that failed I then read somewhere that the covers can warp if overheated, so then I decided to replace them with new covers and gaskets.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hackweed
My dad was a toyota dealer tech for 8 years in the '90s. We have rebuilt this motor but used the old valve covers that had been on an overheated motor. Anyway we have resealed the covers putting the fipg in the corners of the covers right where the fsm says. After that didn't work we went with OEM gaskets, after that failed I then read somewhere that the covers can warp if overheated, so then I decided to replace them with new covers and gaskets.
Sounds good. I've seen a lot of people complain about leaking valve covers but they overlook the gaskets and FIPG material.

Only one way to find out if your new cover leak or not! If that's what the dealer gave you for your truck then there's not a whole lot else to choose from, unless you want to pull some off at a junk yard.