86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3rd member blues

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 3rd member blues

Just tried to replace my rear differential on my '95 4runner for the forth time in 15 years. Against my better judgment, I decided to go with my mechanics recommendation to purchase a factory OEM part based on what a rebuilt with nicer aftermarket gears would've run me. The only reason I followed through with what he suggested is that I'm in a hurry and its the best transmission shop in San Francisco. So $1285 later it shows up and as my dude was about to toss it in, he walks over and says "wrong part". I was pretty ticked as I called the parts dept. back to let them know I had been sent the wrong unit, it didn't have the speed sensor hole for my ABS. The employee took it even more personally because he realized he was going to have to take back the part that had been given to me at an extra discount because I had paid up front. He gets back to me ready to throw a rod insisting that only 4runners '96 and newer and '95.5 Tacomas were equipped with the sensor, that it wasn't even an option on my model. After shooting down my mechanic's theory that perhaps the entire rear axle had been swapped with one from a Tacoma, I proved it by inspecting the lead wires to the sensor showing him that they had not been spliced and had dedicated runs. On that note the guy at the Toyota dealer said that he would not even consider ordering my diff with ABS hole in housing as if I didn't clearly give him the ratios, VIN# and specified ABS when placing my order! If you guys know of where I could find a new/rebuilt/quality rear differential that's a 4:5555 (8"pinion gear)WITH ABS hole please share your info with me. I just need my truck running quickly so I can go back to work! Heres some pictures of the new wrong 3rd member and the chipped ring gear I'm replacing... Thanks guys, Leif(owned toytrux ever since I started driving).https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xolmc3rb1qb6hfe/aupxzqAWL7
Old 01-07-2014, 07:56 PM

Get one from marlin crawler
Old 01-07-2014, 07:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 93 has the abs sensor. I have a spare housing for an e-locker that I'm retrofitting that doesn't have the abs sensor, I'm just not going to hook it up, sometimes your abs light won't even come on as was the case in my '89, you can also pull the abs relay under the hood. I don't think a 95 is any different.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yea save you some money and get you a 4.56 rear 3rd from marlincrawler.com or trail-gear.com. 4 3rd replacements in 15 years?!!
Old 01-08-2014, 05:37 AM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by yoder519
4 3rd replacements in 15 years?!!
Right! At this point, you might have better luck (and it will be cheaper) running junkyard 3rds.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:01 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think I would be asking myself....why am I replacing the diff for the 4th time?

Do you do giant nuetral drop holeshots at every light?

Id scrap the entire rear end if it had a diff fail so many times or Id of strangled the guy who set them up.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:03 AM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
My '94 has the ABS sensor as well. Your Toyota parts guy isn't up to speed on his chosen vocation.

I agree you need to figure out why you're losing rear ends. No reason it should fail in under 300,000 miles unless it's been abused. (Lack of lubrication, water contamination, mechanical abuse, or improper setup/break-in.)
Old 01-08-2014, 09:50 PM

Thumbs up 3rd member blues

Yeah, I know how it sounds keep in mind that I am the second owner but admittedly aggressive on the drive-train but that's why we drive trucks, I rarely break anything (except for the spare wheel retention cable during rough landings from airborne excapades on pizmo dunes)which is remarkable. The one that was on it developed a.clunking sound- solution... Junkyard rearend-30day or no warranty as is-result...gear ratio too low and stuck with the wrong part only able to use 4WD in ice/snow/mud or other tractionless environment for fear of twistin all sortsa parts which is a little disconcerting anyway cuz the front end constantly wanders in an effort to expend the greater distance covered by the front diff. #2 finally kicked on my 45min 90MPH mountain pass commute to work-twisted off just past the yoke at the splines, luckily for me the drive shaft.stayed put through the whole ordeal or it cuda.been a lot uglier. Of course I didnt know it at.the time because it all appeared fine upon inspection so I did what anyone about to be late to work would do to try n make the best of it-droppt it in 4WH and drove the speed limit to work on the front axles dirt roads and all and flatbedded it home. That one I wasn't broken up over losing so this time I triple checked the morons at the salvage yard matching up years, transmission orientation and ABS hole. That one lasted a coupla years until I overlooked the severity of the gasket leak blaming the drips on the severe headgasket oil leak I had at the time. Now thats that shredded ringear in the pictures that I had to drive on for a coupla months. Thanks 4 your tips though, I'm goin to check those guys out right now for my hopefully actual last diff replacement on this truck...letchu know what happens.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would say your gonna be better off getting one off of a board or craigslist. Junk yards around here atleast tend to want a fortune for a yota 8" 3rd.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:58 AM

my 93 had abs, and im pretty sure the wifes 91 4runner has it too.... think that guy needs a reality check haha
Old 01-09-2014, 10:10 PM

The wreckers over here are about an hour drive away but I'm always able to get them to let the rear ends and transfer cases go for 3 bills. I'm over gambling on question mark rear ends though, I went with your original suggestion and shipping out the dead one to marlin crawler for a rebuild with a nice upgraded gear and their superior auto locker. I do save money doing that rather than the dealer and walk away with better parts just have to tough out the extra week delay. Definately happy regardless, thanks for your helpful tips!
Old 01-11-2014, 10:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hey, if you are in the bay area, you should call the Toy Connection in Santa Clara. They stock everything you need and will have it immediately...no BS.

Many people in the south bay only go to them for toyota parts: (408) 988-4040
Business website www.toyconnection4x4.com