Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

35" x 12.5" x 15"

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
35" x 12.5" x 15" Pic of new 32x11.5

I can get hold of some 35" Mickey's with about 3/4 tread left for pretty cheap. I'm wondering how much damage if any will I do running these without regearing. I run 33"'s in the summer and switch to my 31's in winter and don't really notice any change in power, not sure what gears I'm running I assume stock for a 91 3.0l auto runner. I'm running fj rear coils and 2' bj spacers up front and the truck doesn't see any serious off roading, a little mud and feild stuff every now and then but nothing to extreme.

Derek

Last edited by woodendude; 03-28-2009 at 04:31 PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:25 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
As far as I know a 3.0 motor backed up by an auto has either 4.56's or 4.88's from the factory. If you rig came with the 31" tire package stock then I think you have 4.88's. I'd say buy the tires and put them on. If they are too much to deal with you can always sell them.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
if you never wheel then why do you need bigger tires?
Old 02-26-2009, 02:28 PM

Junkers88...... that's kind of what my thinking is. Only problem is there isn't much of a market for these things in my parts, that's partly why they are selling so cheap.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:37 PM

I kind of have to agree with TOYOTA 1. If you don't do a lot of wheeling then do you really need them? If you want them for looks then by all means get them. But if the larger tire size is going to cut back on your economy, not to mention wear on the steering components and the added strain of having to maintain higher rpms (thus less control) on the trail then I'd say stick with the 33's.

Don't get me wrong I want 35's for my trail rig pretty bad but I also plan to regear to suit the tires.

The choice is yours just be sure and post up some pictures of the rig with the new skins if you get them.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:47 PM

why not by a chevy or ford or something like that instead?
Old 02-26-2009, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by TOYOTA 1
if you never wheel then why do you need bigger tires?
Where did I say " I never wheel"?
Old 02-26-2009, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by BAMF_CT2004
why not by a chevy or ford or something like that instead?
Ummm, because I don't want a Ford or a Chevy or something like that!
Old 02-26-2009, 02:54 PM

The wheeling I do is more of a woods trail then rock. Stumps, roots, fallen logs and some mud are the obstacles I encounter. The tires would be for added clearance and yes of course for looks.

Last edited by woodendude; 02-26-2009 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by woodendude
Where did I say " I never wheel"?
*laugh* I think what he meant was "You never do any hardcore wheeling". You stated that you don't do any serious wheeling and in truth a Toyota on 31's or 33's will go a long long way past other "off road" rigs with much larger tires. I've gone places on my 31's that I never thought I'd make due to the nature of a Toyota. In your sig it says you have 33/12.50/15 BFG's. Those tires right there will take you lots of places. 35's only give you about another 1 1/2" of ground clearance. The draw back is more rolling weight and more mass to turn in tight lines.

When you speak of wheeling exactly what do you do? Mud? Rocks? Forrest trails? If all you really do is drive it up some bad logging roads to your favorite fishing spot then the 33's should do you just fine. Of course that opens up a can of worms as to what you can spend the money that would go to those 35's on to increase you rigs abilities.

When we post things to you we never even mean to offend, we're just trying to help you get the most bang for your buck with regards to the Yota. Believe me when I say a little bit spent in the right direction with these rigs goes a heck of a long way.

edit. It seems you type faster than I do.....
Old 02-26-2009, 03:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Junkers88
35's only give you about another 1 1/2" of ground clearance.
Over 33s you'd only pick up an inch of ground clearance.

If you want them, get them, they will look sick. Just know you will probably have to do some trimming to make them fit and your gas mileage will take a hit, but if it's worth it to you go for it. But this is as long as you don't do too much serious wheeling, because if I can snap a CV on 33s I shouldn't be too hard to snap one on 35s.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:32 PM

Okay, maybe I should start again.

At the present time my wheeling consusts of mostly forest trails, these trails are rougher, sometimes dificult to navigate due to fallen trees, logs, some rocks, mud holes etc..... there is not a lot of rock crawling done in my area due to geographic location, I'm sure some are into it but good areas may be hard to find. Anyway, there are trails around that are more difficult than I have driven and some not recommended to by tried by stock vehicle due to the obstacles and clearance issues. I'm thinking the larger tires would allow me to expand my trail capabilities and access, they also would give my truck that bad azz look a lot of us desire. So without tearing my truck apart; steering, cv's, brakes, engine, etc.... can I run these tires without regearing. I can get them for $300, I know a locker would give me better results but I can't get a locker for that money and if I could I couldn't install it (more money) . My runner has already taken me places I can't believe, and with 400,000 kliks on it she still runs strong and will take me many more places hopefully. So do any of you want to buy some Mickey Thonpsons... I have a set for you, only 500 bucks...lol
Old 02-26-2009, 03:35 PM

sorry woodendude, thats not what i meant

i meant what junkers said, he hit it right on the nose!
Old 02-26-2009, 03:38 PM

yes you can run 35's and not re gear. its just going to be a turd, and be harder on all your parts! that being said buy the dang things and go wheel!!!!
Old 02-26-2009, 04:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In addition to all that, you don't have enough lift. The front is gonna rub big time.
I ran 35's with 24" t-bar cranked and 2" body lift before I went SAS and it still rubs when I turn into the driveway.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by woodendude
Okay, maybe I should start again.

At the present time my wheeling consusts of mostly forest trails, these trails are rougher, sometimes dificult to navigate due to fallen trees, logs, some rocks, mud holes etc..... there is not a lot of rock crawling done in my area due to geographic location, I'm sure some are into it but good areas may be hard to find. Anyway, there are trails around that are more difficult than I have driven and some not recommended to by tried by stock vehicle due to the obstacles and clearance issues. I'm thinking the larger tires would allow me to expand my trail capabilities and access, they also would give my truck that bad azz look a lot of us desire. So without tearing my truck apart; steering, cv's, brakes, engine, etc.... can I run these tires without regearing. I can get them for $300, I know a locker would give me better results but I can't get a locker for that money and if I could I couldn't install it (more money) . My runner has already taken me places I can't believe, and with 400,000 kliks on it she still runs strong and will take me many more places hopefully. So do any of you want to buy some Mickey Thonpsons... I have a set for you, only 500 bucks...lol
Wet forrest type trails huh? Man trails like that are hard to find good traction on. Here we do dry rock beds and the traction is better if you can pick a good line.

You are right in that 35's would give you a great stance and better look, I'd say do it of that's what you want.

As far as mounting them with the lift you have I'd have to say that every truck is a little different. I saw a thread a while back where someone mounted 35/12.50's on a stock rig and only had to pound the pinch weld and he had no rubbing. I think with the right back spacing you can run them with the lift you have now. Might need to do some research on that though.

Locker....... Ok I hate to beat this to death but you can get a lockrite for your V6 rear third for ( I think) less than 300$. You can also install it yourself (no need to reset the gears or backlash or anything) in about 4 hours even if you've never done one before. ZUK over at gearinstalls.com has done a lot of this sort of thing so you might want to hit him up with a PM or take a look at his site. I don't know if he's done any lockrite installs but he's done lots of Aussies (sorry they don't make one for a V6 third yet) and the concept is about the same. Just as an example I bought an Aussie locker for my rig and installed it in the third member my self in the garage in about 4 hours. A couple of hours later I had that third and the front one in the rig and was wheeling.

You can do a locker for less than 300$ and go a long long way on 33 inch tires. Just an option.

edit. Here's a link to a V6 lockrite install. Take a look. http://www.gearinstalls.com/v6lockrite.htm

Last edited by Junkers88; 02-26-2009 at 04:48 PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:08 PM

I'm running 35's stock gearing and a 22r it's not so bad.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:06 PM

you must not get out on the highway much
Old 02-26-2009, 07:27 PM

held 55 on the speedo (maybe 60) on the country roads here.. it's a good drive to the nearest interstate.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Great way to overheat your autotragic... Don't do it without an aux cooler. Or just regear... You will like your truck ALOT more! The autos are just beggin to be geared lower.....