Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

33's Rubbing on Sway Bar

Old 03-25-2009, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
33's Rubbing on Sway Bar

So I did the 1.5" BJ spacer and LC coil lift and I ran into a problem.

When I do a full lock either way on my truck the inner side wall of my front tire rubs on the curve of the sway bar.

Should I get wheel spacers? I don't know what size I should get either?
Or is there another way to solve this problem?

Thanks
Smod
Old 03-25-2009, 10:19 AM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
You have 33x10.5s or 33x12.5s? Backspacing on those rims might be different.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:28 AM

I have the 235LT whatevers... but they basically transfer to inches to 33x11.20's if you will. 16 inch rims. I have no idea what the backspacing is.. lol. but I'd like to keep the rims. I've grown to like the chrome rims I have, which I never though I would. lol.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:30 AM

Remove the front sway bar, drive around for a day or so and see if you like it. If you don't mind a little more body roll, than your not out any money. Just a thought
Old 03-25-2009, 10:33 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
x2 What freak said !

Old 03-25-2009, 10:35 AM

Yeah I thought about that. But I thought it would be way crazy on the road right?
I had a friend who heated his up and bent his on his jeep. Would that maybe work?

What size spacer should I get if I went that route?
Old 03-25-2009, 10:49 AM

Yeah you wont notice much difference. And you will flex better. (if you care about flex)
Old 03-25-2009, 10:54 AM

Ok, I guess I will try taking out the sway bar and see what happens. If it wobbles like crazy it's goin back on. lol.

Thanks
Old 03-25-2009, 10:57 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
remember toylo that the runners are a LOT heavier than the pickups, so the sway bar really helps...

if you can deal with the lean, then do it!
Old 03-25-2009, 10:57 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
I think its the rear sway bar on runners thats a to remove...
The front is a whole nother story though....
Have at it...

Old 03-25-2009, 11:02 AM

lol. I will have it!

I will probably just take it off for a couple days and see how it is. I drive on a lot of highways where I live so it might make a difference but I'm not sure, so I'm gunna try it, and there is that plus of having more flex which I like also.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by space-junk
remember toylo that the runners are a LOT heavier than the pickups, so the sway bar really helps...

if you can deal with the lean, then do it!
toylo has a 4 runner. hahaa and yeah it is the rear that matters. weird because it does almost nothing to reduce flex
Old 03-25-2009, 11:14 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Alex 400
toylo has a 4 runner. hahaa and yeah it is the rear that matters. weird because it does almost nothing to reduce flex

not fair!! he hasnt driven it yet!!!
Old 03-25-2009, 03:12 PM

What's a sway bar?

I took both of mine off. I adjusted my shocks one click stiffer and I can't even tell they're not on the truck anymore while driving on the street.

I will admit though, after playing in the dirt for a while and hitting the road, you can tell there are no sway bars until the shocks cool down a bit.

I usually drive like a granny in the 4Runner anyways(on road). It doesn't have enough power to hotrod around without looking like a goober.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:00 PM

A sway bar makes your truck or car not sway back and forth when driving. It mostly matters when you get up to highway speeds. Supposedly the front isn't too bad to take out, but I am gunna try it out.

So if the rear is out when you get up to highway speeds your truck or car will litterally start to sway back and forth. It is scary, I've been in a jeep without one and we were dancing going 65mph done the highway. lol.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by SMOD
A sway bar makes your truck or car not sway back and forth when driving. It mostly matters when you get up to highway speeds. Supposedly the front isn't too bad to take out, but I am gunna try it out.

So if the rear is out when you get up to highway speeds your truck or car will litterally start to sway back and forth. It is scary, I've been in a jeep without one and we were dancing going 65mph done the highway. lol.

The Jeep must have had other serious problems or badly blown shocks because a vehicle won't just start swaying on it's own just because it has no sway bars. My 4Runner drives down the highway just fine without them and so did my 99 Grand Cherokee.

If I had to swerve quickly at a high speed I might be more likely to roll over, but putting a lift, bigger tires, a roof rack, etc...etc will also make you more likely to roll during the same circumstances.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:32 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
it's wierd really, once you take the sway bar off...

at first, you don't really notice a difference...

then as time goes by, you find it a little more scary to take turns the same way you use to, so you tend to slow waaaay down...

if you drive without it for about a month or two, then bolt it back on, it's like driving a completely different vehicle...

I reinstalled mine, and I see no reason for me to take it off again...

I'll give up the marginal increase in flex for a safe ride

BTW, I'm in a PU; a lot less top heavy than a Runner, and I noticed a good bit of body roll... just FYI

I think that some wheel spacers would be a good idea though. How far do your tires stick out in refference to the body right now? If at all?

If you're only getting rub right at full lock, you wouldn't need much of a spacer; maybe 1/2"

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 03-25-2009 at 07:33 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by space-junk
not fair!! he hasnt driven it yet!!!
Wrong! I moved it to the other side of the house.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
I'll give up the marginal increase in flex for a safe ride

lol a safe ride. I see guys with a 3" body lift, 3" bracket drop, 1.5" BJ lift, cranked torsions, 37" tires....and stock brakes and steering. No sway bar is going to save you from that accident lol.

If you lifted your truck you have decreased the safety of your ride. If you have increased the tire size you have decreased the safety of your ride.

My 4Runner is mostly for off-road. It's not my daily transportation and it's not what I drive to work so sway bars really don't matter to me.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Justinlhc
lol a safe ride. I see guys with a 3" body lift, 3" bracket drop, 1.5" BJ lift, cranked torsions, 37" tires....and stock brakes and steering. No sway bar is going to save you from that accident lol.

If you lifted your truck you have decreased the safety of your ride. If you have increased the tire size you have decreased the safety of your ride.

My 4Runner is mostly for off-road. It's not my daily transportation and it's not what I drive to work so sway bars really don't matter to me.
oh well that's different; mine takes me on a 30 minute commute to and from work 5 times a week, and then down the trail every other weekend, so it's sees far more time on the road

and yeah, my truck decreases in safety as soon as I start it every day

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 33's Rubbing on Sway Bar