Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

3.4 V6 swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 08:15 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
3.4 V6 swap questions

In my ongoing info gathering regarding possibly getting myself a 4Runner a couple more questions have come up. These are based on the discussions about the 3.0 vs. the 3.4 and the consideration of doing a swap.

First question is what is a complete (including injection system) rebuildable 3.4 core motor worth?
FWIW, my local pick it yards get $223 plus a $45 core for any V6.

Also, is there a preferred or better year(s) for the 3.4?

Which 3.4 swap would be simpler or easier; swapping into a 4Runner which originally had a 3.0 or originally had a 22RE?
My guess, but it’s just a guess, the 3.0 to 3.4 involves less differences. Also, I’ve read that the ECU needs to be swapped and I would imagine there are bellhousing differences. If it matters this would most likely go into a 2nd or 3rd gen 4Runner.

Thank you
Old 01-20-2017, 11:29 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

First 3.0 is easier only because

The 22R engine one needs to move the Engine mounts if that is a factor I am sure there are other reasons but this comes to mind because I bought the new Engine mounts

The 5 speed from the 3.0 bolts right to the 3.4

22R you need to source a transmission

The electrical is about the same for both except for the tach

Just source the 4th ECM plug

3.0 you have the crossover pipe that can be fabricated to move the exhaust to the left side

If you can get a 3.4 Complete with the engine harness and ECM that can be rebuilt for under $300.00 I will take two!!

I paid I think $1800.00 for a running 3.4 pulled and delivered right into my shop plus extra goodies

Last edited by wyoming9; 01-20-2017 at 11:33 AM.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:53 PM

Good info to know thanks. So a swap from a 22R/Re is not a good option.

How much difference is there between the 3.0 ECM and the 3.4 ECM - besides the 4th ECM plug (whatever that is)?

The 3.4 I thinking of doesn't seen to have the engine harness and ECM - but I need to verify that. Thanks for the heads up.

You might not be happy if I told you what the price is.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:11 AM

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
You are probably getting the motor inexpensively because there is no ECM or Harness.
Wait till you have to source these items, the price will more than soak up any savings you think you have gained.
The 3.0, ECM cannot be used on the 3.4 motor, unless you are a software programmer genius.
Aside from the electrical plug, and wiring differences, the fuel map generation is totally different between the two ECM's.
Source an early 3.4 like from a 96 vintage vehicle, and be sure the ECM and the harness match the motor.
On the early motors there is less electronic magic stuff, and it is more compatible with a 95 or earlier Runner.
Just my opinion, and we all know what opinions are like.
Art.
Old 01-21-2017, 02:38 AM

Red face

To explain the ECM has 4 plugs that plug into it.

The engine harness comes with 3 that plug into the ECM that matches the harness .

The fourth plug comes from the cab harness of the donor vehicle or you need to buy a new plug this is then wired into the vehicle the 3.4 is going into .

Buying a engine to do a 3.4 swap without the ECM and the Engine Harness is going to get very expensive

Now if you already have a 3.4 Tacoma a bare engine is not a problem because you just reinstall all your harness

Doing the swap into a 22re vehicle is just more work

Not so much if you already have the vehicle built but the engine is shot to avoid doing it .

Having not bought the vehicle yet I would look to find a dead 3.0 seems like quite a few out there

Then it depends how much work you can do it might be cheaper to go to the newer 4Runner with a 3.4 and be done.
Old 01-21-2017, 05:52 AM

Thanks guys more useful info. I don't know yet if the 3.4 I'm considering has the harness and ECM. Now I know the engine is not worth as much (swap wise) without them. The 3.4 I'm talking about here is from a '99 - if it doesn't have the ECM etc I will pass on it.

Doing a swap to a 4Runner that had a 22R/RE is out of my head at this point - too many differences that I wouldn't feel like messing with since there are simpler/easier ways to go.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:17 AM

Red face

Quite different if you had $25,000.00 in a 4Runner with the 22Re already then the added extras are not that big of a deal