Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3.0 Very slow and 10-12mpg

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.0 Very slow and 10-12mpg

Hey guys,

So I got a 1994 3.0 4x4 about 3 months ago, When I got it I was told and convinced the 3.0 was just very slow when asking around so I didn't think anything of it at first. Then I drove another friends 3.0 and it was a night and day difference. Myn is also getting terrible gas mileage (10-12 mpg)

I am getting code 71, and am currently slowly replacing it all. But I was wondering, Could the EGR system be causing it to be THAT much slower and get that kind of mileage ? Im getting 26 second 0-60mph shifting at 5k.

The truck also has no cat, Is on 33's and has a small 3'' lift and has a k&n drop in air filter.

I also found a very small hole in my intake tube, could that have anything to do with it as well?

Thanks!
Old 12-17-2011, 06:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I also found a very small hole in my intake tube, could that have anything to do with it as well?
Yes. I am willing to be that hole lets a fair bit of unmetered air into the intake. The ECU doesn't "see" that air, but still has to deal with it. You will be running lean, which will KILL your power. Seal it up securely ASAP.

I'm not sure about mpg, but you may notice a small improvement after fixing the leak. Also consider taking off the whole intake tube and looking for cracks. If you have some, you may want to do the ISR mod instead of buying a new intake tube.

With regards to mpg... my 3vze gets about 16mpg, running nicely. I drive it like I stole it though, and it is undergeared, so my highway rpms are also quite high. As a result, 16city/18hwy. If you find you still sit at 10-12 after the intake fix, consider when the spark plugs were last changed. Wires? Distributor cap/rotor? All of these things will help with mpg.

You also might want to take some throttle body cleaner and clean the VAFM, throttle body, and intake plenum. I'd bet it's caked with crap.

With regards to your EGR... does the truck run rough at idle? bog under heavy acceleration? It might be malfunctioning if so. If you don't have an emissions check, you can disconnect the vacuum line running to it to stop it from opening, and/or fab a plate to block it off.

There should be walkthroughs for all these things somewhere around here... just search. Best of luck getting your veezy up to speed!
Old 12-17-2011, 06:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
12mpg dam my tundra gets like 15
Old 12-17-2011, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bmcghie
Yes. I am willing to be that hole lets a fair bit of unmetered air into the intake. The ECU doesn't "see" that air, but still has to deal with it. You will be running lean, which will KILL your power. Seal it up securely ASAP.

I'm not sure about mpg, but you may notice a small improvement after fixing the leak. Also consider taking off the whole intake tube and looking for cracks. If you have some, you may want to do the ISR mod instead of buying a new intake tube.

With regards to mpg... my 3vze gets about 16mpg, running nicely. I drive it like I stole it though, and it is undergeared, so my highway rpms are also quite high. As a result, 16city/18hwy. If you find you still sit at 10-12 after the intake fix, consider when the spark plugs were last changed. Wires? Distributor cap/rotor? All of these things will help with mpg.

You also might want to take some throttle body cleaner and clean the VAFM, throttle body, and intake plenum. I'd bet it's caked with crap.

With regards to your EGR... does the truck run rough at idle? bog under heavy acceleration? It might be malfunctioning if so. If you don't have an emissions check, you can disconnect the vacuum line running to it to stop it from opening, and/or fab a plate to block it off.

There should be walkthroughs for all these things somewhere around here... just search. Best of luck getting your veezy up to speed!

Thanks for the great advise!

I took the intake tube off and found quite a few cracks, I also figured out that nearly all of the metal EGR tubes are full of junk and completely plugged.

I tested my EGR valve and it is working, no problems there.

I am going on vacation to mexico tomorrow so I will fix all the problems when I get home.

Thanks again, Adios!