Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

3.0 rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 12:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.0 rebuild?

So here's the deal, I have a 90 4 runner with the 3.0 and the engine is getting tired. Kinds makes sense since it has almost 350,000 miles on it. With the engine pushin around 37s I was thinking about rebuilding the engine. I have somewhat looked into performance parts for the engine and haven't found to many. I understand that most people rather swap the 3.0 for a better engine, however my engine has treated me well and I didnt have any complaints about it. I'm lookin to see if anyone else has rebuilt them with aftermarket parts and how it turned out or if it really isn't worth it and I should throw something like a 4.3 in it. If you have any input or websites I can look at some parts I'd appreciate the input.

Thanks
Old 08-05-2012, 12:20 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
I can GUESS, probably accurately, that you'll get around 20+ comments/answers to your thread that will say, "3.4-5VZE OR BUST!"... in other wording of course, haha.

Honestly? If I were to contemplate the amount of work that a 350K mile 3VZE would need, then weigh it against a 3.4 swap.... NO QUESTION I would slap in a 3.4! You will have EVEN LESS complaints, more power and it's not that difficult of a swap for an already powered by 3.0 rig, compared to other swaps... AND, ... a 4.3 as in Chebby? Vortec? That should bring an equal amount of commentary, but something in the wording of "HOLY HELL, YOU'RE KIDDING!... INSTEAD OF A 3.4?" HAHA...

In all reality, many on here wouldn't see anything wrong with rebuilding your 3.0... They've also had great runs with them. But you're going to want to pull it and fully rebuild, anyhow, right? Why not do a lil searching on the 3.4 swap and see what you'd be getting yourself into. You could still just rebuild... and there ARE a few mods that do seem to be favorable in the VeeZee crowd... Deckplate Mod/Header with I think a crossover pipe mod? Things you can also do like CAM, etc., ... But again, slap a stock 3.4 in there and you'll already have more than you'd get out of that 3.0 with a BIT of mod's/add on'age, ya know?

I'm subscribed to a couple threads that I have to look up... They are VERY sold on this swap and have done quite a few. They would be able to answer ANY questions as to how difficult/how much cost? etc. Ya know? I'll be back with the links... Also have a few links on 'Upgrades for my 3.0'... If you search using the search tab on this site you'll find lots on that, too.

Welcome to Yotatech, Goldilocks24
Old 08-05-2012, 12:45 AM

Here's a few I'm subscribed to(anytime I comment in a thread I'm auto-Subscribed)....

Probably the best one to start with..>>>

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160...thread-180750/

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160...l-swap-255946/

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160...z-swap-243241/

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/s...ut-5vz-254259/

Guy I know that lives near me... Great dude>>

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160...4-swap-237525/

Here's one titled "So tired of people telling me the 3VZE is a bad motor">>>>

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...-motor-254023/

Which oil pan to use in your 3.4 swap>>>>

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160...l-swap-237832/

SEARCH AND YE SHALL FIND There is also a guy who has become quite the Guru with this swap on this site... Vitale ....... I thought he had a thread on it.. probably does, but I'm so tired and I can't find it in my 43908045 Subscriptions! haha...

REALLY think this one out.. I wish I had, I'd be rolling either a 1UZFE, 3RZ or 7MGTE right now as we speak/type! LOVE my 22RE,.. just don't love how it seems to like to breed gremlins on me! hahaha... AND, I would like a lil more power and better mileage, ...who wouldn't?

Best wishes... That's my 2 Cents!
Old 08-05-2012, 04:46 AM

If you have been happy with the 3.0, its cheapest to rebuild it, after all, it did give you 350k. No one can complain about that. I have heard a lot of good things about the 3.4 swap. Really depends on your wants and needs.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:49 AM

not to be harsh, but it seems as though you have searched this subject plenty of times already and looking to get the same replys that you have read up on prior to your posting
Old 08-05-2012, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by bensyota
not to be harsh, but it seems as though you have searched this subject plenty of times already and looking to get the same replys that you have read up on prior to your posting
I have done my fair share of searching. I have not looked to much into the rebuild on the 3.0 just figured I'd make myself known on the forum and let some folks know what I'm thinkin and if they had any thoughts to add.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:28 AM

Goldilocks..... I doubt it's personal... We just get LOTS of MASSIVE-MULTI-REPOSTERS starting up, quite often.. And you can often see how much they've searched???? Not sure on that.

Anyway, 92_T0Y is a member on here that just did a full rebuild on his sons 88 3.0. He has TONS of good info gleaned from many other threads, as well as his own tips. Good dude. Name is Jerry. The thread he did that on is 88......something in name, hahaha..... Just go to members, look up 92_TOY and then click on his name... Go to his page and click on 'Statistics' or one of those tabs... and then click on 'find all threads started by 92_Toy or "posts by" .... and you'll find it. If I have time, I'll post it here.. but it was very easy to understand and listed all the things to look out for/might want to change while in there. I'll just tell you now.......DO THE KNOCK SENSOR ANDDDDDDDDDD PIGTAIL AND WIRING NEWWWWW, while in there. DO NOT button that thing up and then find you have the dreaded Code 52... then have to tear it down again.

He also showed all kinds of stuff regarding why he went with a Header and some other upgrades/mods. Apparently, it's a Moderately Raped Ape Running Machine Now! haha.

I just noticed one thing for sure..... Guys who did the 3.4 swap? EVERY ONE OF THEM prefered that motor and it's performance/ease to work on to the 3.0 that they'd had. Throw that in your decision along with the 'difficulty of swap', etc., etc., ya know?

UPDATE HERE WHAT YOU FIND, ok? Don't ask a question like this and then leave us hanging as to what you decide, ya know?
Old 08-06-2012, 07:48 AM

I'll keep the thread updated as I decide which path I'm going to take. Might even start a build thread to show what I have now do you can get a visual on my baby "goldilocks". I appreciate all the helpful links. The build thread will be up in a couple of days probably.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
you can charge it tune it and get 300 hp. or just enjoy the 190 it has stock with plenty of torque and reliability.

check out toy only swaps:http://toyonlyswaps.com/
Old 08-06-2012, 12:26 PM

Gotcha, OP! lol...

Hey, .... just remember one thing... While I'm trying to speak objectively... I can say ONE THING that I think most of us experience when in your situation. Most are happy with those swaps, clearly.... but they also share how it was a TOTAL PITA the first time! So using a group of guys to guide you, ESPECIALLY HANDS ON would be preferable, period! SECONDLY, .... When those of us who contemplated a swap ended up rebuilding.... Most I've spoken to(and me included) would say, "I wish i'd just dug in and did it then... CUZ... now that I've rebuilt, I don't think I can stomach tearing it down again just to do this swap.... I mean, they run for at least 150K more, most often.... So I should have figured that I'd want to get my 'miles'/'money' out of it! " ............... Ya know?

If you're gonna do it, and you don't wanna THROW MONEY AROUND later, after already building your 3.0 again.... IMHO? >>>> DO IT NOW! If you're happy with your 3.0 and would be happy with it for another few years? BUILD IT,...but 'DO IT RIGHT, THE FIRST TIME!' Don't cut corners... obviously, if you're considering a swap(which can run into 3K$+.... )...., then you could afford to 'do the 3.0 right', proper parts and all Right? haha.

PS> POST THE BUILD LINK HERE, don't wait for us to find it in the 'new posts' tab! K?
Old 08-06-2012, 08:33 PM

im not to worried about a swap or a rebuild. the thing that brought this whole thing on was my cat is clogged and i was going replace it with a nice exhaust from the headers down since it is still stock. i figured if i was going to drop the money on the exhaust for that engine i might as well rebuild it sense i was going to put some money into but i didnt know to much about aftermarket parts for the thing. i do appreciate all the helpful links people have posted. the only thing i am not sure about if i do a rebuild is the timing. and a swap for that matter.