Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

3.0 Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.0 Exhaust

Wanted to talk about exhaust 2nd gen 4runner exhaust.
Over the years there seems to be a lot of talk about which is the best setup for exhaust on the 3vze.
I've owned my 3.0 slow runner now for about 3 yrs. and have changed of the exhaust up a few times now. So I though I would share my findings with community here. First off when I bought my runner it was in pretty bad shape, still to this day wonder why I bought it. (Maybe I felt sorry for it.) Anyway the tale pipe was falling off of it from the muffler back so I bought one of those inexpensive Dynomax Cat back setups. Installed it was not impressed. Not much louder than OEM and no performance gain. So I gutted the Cat and put it back on. (Sense my State has no emissions check after the Vehicle is over 25 yrs.) That made it a little louder And I think a slight performance gain. But I did not care for the sound. Engine sounded like a 2 cylinder going through a beer can. So today I finally ponied up and had a custom exhaust made. I put a new free flowing cat, Flowmaster 40 series (1 in 2 out fake dual.) I really can tell any gain or loss in power maybe a slight loss, but man the motor feels like a Million bucks. It has a low growling sound to it and feels like I'm in a fast car ! Only when I put my foot in it all the way I am reminded that it's still the same rubber band motor that the 3.0 is known for.
So in conclusion there's not any performance gain, maybe even a little loss but I'm still not sure. But the WOW factor sure out weighs any loss that there may or may not be !!

Added bonus no more CO fumes smell.

Just wanted to throw that out there if anyone's interested.
Old 12-01-2016, 01:08 AM
RSR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Getting ready to throw a LCE on mine. Generally, there seem to be MPG gains with catback systems (perhaps a slight loss at low RPM range) but a definite advantage at high rpms/revving... Will share my findings once compiled.
Old 12-01-2016, 02:26 AM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by RSR
Getting ready to throw a LCE on mine. Generally, there seem to be MPG gains with catback systems (perhaps a slight loss at low RPM range) but a definite advantage at high rpms/revving... Will share my findings once compiled.
RSR, Are you doing the headers and all or just cat back?

Last edited by Andy A; 12-01-2016 at 11:10 AM.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lce

Yeah same Question as Andy? And let us know the results please.