Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

3.0 cams and valves

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 04:29 PM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
3.0 cams and valves

In the modern crappy economy, who is selling 3.0 cams and oversized valves?? The only two cams i have found is Crower and DOA. I cant find info for weasy2k cams other then YT and then I cant find ordering info. Ive checked LCE, Japan engine,; summit racing, etc.... who am I missing??

Ive been looking for oversized valves too. I know ted from engnbuilder used to sell them but he doesnt anymore. Anybody point me in the right direction?

Im not just looking for more power but the engine has a slight knock so i need to rebuild it anyway, might as well do it right the first time. Just looking for more options
Old 07-28-2011, 02:00 AM

bump......
anybody??
Old 07-28-2011, 04:40 PM

1 last bump. 1 last hail mary pass. doa is looking like the choice.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you're interested in the weasy cams they were turned at Colt Cams here in BC. They have a web site and I'm pretty sure he ships anywhere. Geoff is a real good guy to deal with.

Jason
Old 08-21-2011, 11:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subscribed!

Hey keep us posted on what you find out. I've been exploring the oversized valves and a possible cam switch too...
Old 03-02-2012, 06:33 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
3vz camshaft upgrade

Did you ever get anywhere with this project?
Old 03-02-2012, 09:19 PM
Inu

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just as a heads up i did a cam regrind with crower, people were great. now they lost some parts(they covered half the replacment becouse their shipping in had no record of said parts........) it took over a month, and in the end I got left with figuring out how to reshim the valves. ended up custom making lashcaps with the help of a great machinist local to me.

Now for the rub. after install i went a little tight on my lash 7in and 9ex and the valve train is noisy as all getout. I have a fully stock ex and intake sytem 8k on rebuild of entire engine and my runner is a factory 4.88 auto hence why i wanted some more oomph. with stock timing it struggles on any hill to get to 3k from there it starts to run alright and once it hits 4300 she starts to rape the asphault, comparately anyway,.untill it shifts(i want to change to a rail shifter so i can bring it closer to fuel cut). now bumping the timing up some gave back some torque from 2400 but the top end pull isnt their like it was. Although it doesnt seem to struggle to reach the shift point anymore.

the timing map after the cam is totally off and is now picky. im looking into adding msd and doing a stepped retard so i can drive around and have that top end pull.

I didnt put a dial on it but its supposed to be .401 lift now

This is just my experience with Crower. I called Colt once after the mess had started and they were great on the phone and were willing to help me get the shims they send out with their product. hindsight I should have went with colt instead of feeling like i'd give a more local but less experience with the 3.0 company.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:18 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Inu
...and in the end I got left with figuring out how to reshim the valves. ended up custom making lashcaps with the help of a great machinist local to me.
You're kidding me!

That can't have been the most cost effective way to do that. The shims aren't that expensive. ~$7 each from Toyota.

Originally Posted by Inu
the timing map after the cam is totally off and is now picky. im looking into adding msd and doing a stepped retard so i can drive around and have that top end pull.
What the...? Seriously? Dude, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. You're so not even close to being on the right track there it ain't even funny.

BTW, how are you complaining about about Crower? If you sent them anything but but your camshaft cores, you shouldn't have. That was your fault in my book. And it's not their job to provide you with what are essentially scheduled maintenance parts.

And if you think Colt is going to be able to do a valve adjustment without having your heads there to work with(as in provide you with all the correct thickness shims for every valve based on the camshafts they send you with no actual lash/clearance measurements taking place), YOU'RE OUT OF YOU'RE EVER-LOVING MIND!!!

I'm sorry, but come on. Let's be realistic here...

Last edited by MudHippy; 03-03-2012 at 09:27 AM.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:01 PM
Inu

Ignition timing map is off. no two ways about it.it wants more timing down low and less up top.
When i talked with colt, I was going to have to send them my clearence specs and still have to go to toyota, which was 11.25 a piece for them here. and when i sent the shim bucket, we had talked about them grinding the cam to use either a lash cap they had in stock or them finding the ultra thick followers. End result was a lower lift cam, no talk about how I should go about it. my truck was down for over a month and i was done with them. so i went to a local old school machine shop that set me up with a surface grinder and fit hemi lash caps to my valve lash.

Edit. my valve clearence would have required a follower larger them i could buy from either toyota or http://www.cylinderheadsupply.com/va...iscs-34mm.html off the top of my head i think i needed somwhere in the range of 3.5mm shims

Last edited by Inu; 03-03-2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:43 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
You need to learn more about how the ECU does its job regarding the ignition timing. Because you think you know...but you don't. If it wants more advance down low, give it more advance down low(you do it). If it wants less up top, it will get less up top(ECU does it). Keep in mind, if it ain't pinging, it doesn't need less. So is it pinging when you advance the base/initial timing more? And that's what makes you think it needs less advance up top. Or are you just thinking you know what you're talking about, when you really don't?

On the valve clearance issue, I haven't heard of anyone that's done it that way. I've been under the impression that you could still use OEM shims after a regrind. And that, whatever the case may be, it wasn't some humongous hassle like the one you're describing to install such mildly higher lift/duration camshafts on this engine.

Anywho, I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Bearing in mind that it may be more complicated than I'd anticipated...I suppose. Maybe not though, since I intended on buying them from Colt in the first place.

Last edited by MudHippy; 03-04-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:43 PM
Inu

Heres what i know about timing, its a fixed map based on airflow and rpm how toyota decided to do load im not 100% on but still its a fixed map, it goeas to one variable and then another and crosses to two points on the map and sees what toyota decided was best in that air flow and rpm situation, some engines dont make power when you crank the timing to near det at high revs. My jet for example only likes 28 degrees or so. no pinging but any more and it loses some rpm which on a jet boat means a peak power loss. now that moter is also a 12.5 to 1 big block with mechanicle injection but still. in my fathers boat with normal 9.5 to 1 really likes 32 degrees peak timing, both engines have no need for power below 3500 rpm so i couldnt tell you if they want more lower or not. my engine only has the lightest spring in the dizzy to help the starter out. has full timing just after idle. maybe i got a funky profile from them. i havnt heard any knock from the 3.0 but maybe the computer is seeing it and backing it down at high revs and killing the power. all i know is at 10 deg its revs great just doesnt have any bottom. would have been fun as a stick truck its almost shocking how the power comes on and wants to keep reving, damn shift points.

Maybe if i had not have had the valves done by a shop that tips the valves to adjust them i might have been able to use toyota shims. I had takien the head by Performance machine in pamona and their idea was to re seat the valves to sink them in the head a little, replace them with long stem valves, or try thinning a lash cap. 35 bucks later and about 4hrs of .001 off(I hoged them to just get my thinest shim in) I had my heads ready to bolt back on. Im not gonna comment on gas use yet as im shure im still driving it stupid.

In hindsight i would say I hate the automatic transmission in this thing and should have swapped the bugger out when i had the chance and I would probly not have ever noticed any of the bottom end loss. time for a trip to the muffler man

Last edited by Inu; 03-04-2012 at 12:48 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:10 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
3 VZ COLT cams available

Hi boys and girls.

Any of you whom may have the cams installed and get this because you subscribed many moons ago, please post back if you're still quite happy.

I went (March 2012) to the Colt Cams website (which had a dead link to Sea2Sky), and (asked online) if they had cams for the 3vz (as they had built for "weasy" listed in this thread). For those who may care, I'll post his reply.

Thank-you, for contacting us.
Yes, we do.
Thanks for letting us know about the stale link. I will get it removed
If you are interested please give us a call at your convenience.
Thank-you,
Geoff Bardal @
Colt Cams Inc

And had several repeats about different addresses, etc.
Meaning one should contact them before hand and clarify that for oneself.

Colt Cams Inc.
Aldergrove BC V4W 0A6
Canada

Phone: 604-856-3571
Fax: 604-856-3572[/FONT]

www.coltcams.com

Crum. Need to order these before I'm off on next adventure.

Last edited by coopster; 03-06-2012 at 07:12 PM. Reason: remove htm tags for color in pasting