Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

2wd suspension questions

Old 06-14-2008, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2wd suspension questions

Alright, I know it isn't the most popular, but some of us don't have 4wd. Mine is a '95.

After owning this truck for a decade, and a decade of it carrying around my fat ass, the front suspension was getting a little saggy. Especially on the driver's (left) side. Hence, the reason for mentioning my fat ass.

I read the FSM about how to adjust the torsion bars, got under the truck and got to wrenchin'. After a few tries of tightening the adjusting nut, lowering the truck from the jack stands, jacking back up and tightening some more, I got it pretty close to level.

First off, the FSM gives the height to measure the 2wd suspension for ground clearance, but doesn't say *where* to measure it from. So, will "eyeballing" it be OK? For the past little while the front of the truck sagged to the point that it almost looked like I had a flat tire if observing the truck from across a parking lot, so anything is better at this point.

Secondly, I don't think I over tightened the adjusting nut, but after several turns(5-10 full turns), I got worried that it might bottom out the nut causing undue stress to the torsion bar. Is it possible to snap off the stud from the anchor arm? Is it possible to put too much stress of the torsion bar adjusting it in this manner? Anyone think I'll actually break something?
Old 06-14-2008, 07:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
yes, you can bottom the adjuster out. yes, you can break things. yes, tightening the bars causes more stress on the bar- and considering the bar has already been stressed (which is why it's sagging) adding more stress isn't anything more than a temp solution.

measure each side from the ground to the lip of the fender (just above the front tire) and adjust the low side to match the high side. occasionally measure the higher side and if it starts going up, lower that side back to the original reading.
keep an eye on the rear too since raising a front corner will cause the opposite rear corner to drop.
if you cannot get both front heights to match each other, and also have the rear heights match each other as well, your frame may be twisted

also, for less than 300, you can replace the torsion bars.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:40 PM

Thanks for the input, I'll be getting some new torsion bars on there as soon as the cash flow allows. For right now I was just seeing how much adjusting it could accomplish, hopefully without damage.

That brings up another question though, is it that easy to twist/bend the frame on these trucks? It's never been in a serious accident, but I have hit my share of speed bumps and pot holes.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
yes, you can bottom the adjuster out. yes, you can break things. yes, tightening the bars causes more stress on the bar- and considering the bar has already been stressed (which is why it's sagging) adding more stress isn't anything more than a temp solution.

measure each side from the ground to the lip of the fender (just above the front tire) and adjust the low side to match the high side. occasionally measure the higher side and if it starts going up, lower that side back to the original reading.
keep an eye on the rear too since raising a front corner will cause the opposite rear corner to drop.
if you cannot get both front heights to match each other, and also have the rear heights match each other as well, your frame may be twisted

also, for less than 300, you can replace the torsion bars.
Can't he buy the Downey bars for like $158 or so?...http://www.downeyoff-road.com/Suspen...s/1979-95.html
Old 06-14-2008, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by pauliep13
Thanks for the input, I'll be getting some new torsion bars on there as soon as the cash flow allows. For right now I was just seeing how much adjusting it could accomplish, hopefully without damage.

That brings up another question though, is it that easy to twist/bend the frame on these trucks? It's never been in a serious accident, but I have hit my share of speed bumps and pot holes.
Umm...just a question...you don't have to answer...but how much do you weigh?
Old 06-14-2008, 08:49 PM

Also....this is what downey says...

A WORD ABOUT TORSION BARS
NHK manufactured the Torsion Bars your Toyota was equipped with at the factory. NHK bars are “forged” to produce stronger splines and have longer life with excellent memory (always knowing where home base is). Downey’s upgraded bars are also “forged” by NHK - sweet deal. What’s the option? American made “machined” bars with weaker splines and practically no memory whatsoever. Machined bars are the ones that lose an inch of lift every time you go wheelin, the ones you keep re-cranking until the day they finally snap! You wanna buy non-Downey bars, just make sure your cell phone works in the desert.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:53 PM

No, it's not that easy to bend the frames. Toy's are pretty stout and take a hard beating. That's not to say a good impact at the wrong time or angle won't bend it.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by 91Toyota
Umm...just a question...you don't have to answer...but how much do you weigh?
Man, not so fat that I can't fit in the driver's seat. If that was the case, I wouldn't have bought the thing all those many years ago. How's that for an answer?
Old 06-14-2008, 09:18 PM

Man, not so fat that I can't fit in the driver's seat. If that was the case, I wouldn't have bought the thing all those many years ago. How's that for an answer?
Good enough
Old 06-14-2008, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by 91Toyota
Also....this is what downey says...

A WORD ABOUT TORSION BARS
NHK manufactured the Torsion Bars your Toyota was equipped with at the factory. NHK bars are “forged” to produce stronger splines and have longer life with excellent memory (always knowing where home base is). Downey’s upgraded bars are also “forged” by NHK - sweet deal. What’s the option? American made “machined” bars with weaker splines and practically no memory whatsoever. Machined bars are the ones that lose an inch of lift every time you go wheelin, the ones you keep re-cranking until the day they finally snap! You wanna buy non-Downey bars, just make sure your cell phone works in the desert.
So now Downey is saying that American made is crap?
Isn't Downey "american made"?

Last edited by abecedarian; 06-14-2008 at 09:24 PM.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
So now Downey is saying that American made is crap?
Isn't Downey "american made"?
I thought so. Thats what it says under "tech" where they sell there torsion bars for 79-95 5-lug 2wd trucks
Old 06-14-2008, 09:41 PM

I'd buy springs or torsion bars from Suspension Techniques before I'd ever buy anything Downey recommends.

Can we also add that if NHK was so good, why do Toyota torsion bars sag?

Last edited by abecedarian; 06-14-2008 at 09:42 PM.