Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

2WD Lift Spindles

Old 08-26-2010, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2WD Lift Spindles

Ok so everyone knows that Fabtech quit making their lift spindles years ago. Most of us know that Obsessed Motorsports makes a 3" lift spindle based off of the stock Toyota 2wd spindle (http://obsessedmotorsports.com/Toyot...d_spindle.html). Now not everyone may know that without sending in a core of the stock spindles, these things will run you $625 plus tax and shipping, so lets just call it $700. Now I don't know about you but that seems quite steep for the 2 inches of lift I hope to achieve from this mod (I plan on loosening up the torsions slightly after install for a slightly softer ride).

My questions are:
1) Is anyone currently running these spindles and is it worth the money?
2) Has anyone found a secret source that sells a similar item for cheaper?
3) Does anyone have some Fabtech spindles for sale? Hahaha.....

Thanks so much for any responses, I just know there has to be another way..... $700 is just too steep!
Old 08-27-2010, 12:09 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why are you lifting a 2wd? Looks? Prerunner?

I would either put long travel on it or slam it and make it fast, show the honda fan boys whos boss
Old 08-27-2010, 06:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2DoorRunner
Why are you lifting a 2wd? Looks? Prerunner?

I would either put long travel on it or slam it and make it fast, show the honda fan boys whos boss
im thinking prerunner, i agree with long travel, i strongly disagree with slamming it and making it "fast"
it will cost $5,000+ be "fast" and thats still not that fast (14 second 1/4 mile?)
Old 08-27-2010, 07:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Batchracing has an economical 2wd LT kit that uses your existing spindles. That's what I plan on going with for my 2wd.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:14 AM

The main reason for the added lift is to increase downtravel b/c with my current lift I only have 2" of downtravel which is ˟˟˟˟! My UCA's are constantly hitting my bumpstops. Adding taller spindles will help alleviate this problem. I am also running 31" tires that rub on the firewall occasionally and the added lift will help correct this problem. Lastly I need new Balljoints anyway so if I am going to put lift spindles on, now is the time.

I don't feel like I need to go the LT route because I don't wanna drop $3,000 more on my DD that doesn't see THAT much offroad use. I don't wanna try and match paint on the flared fenders that I would have to install.

I just want a clean DD that can go wherever I need it to. Nothing too crazy, I'm not gonna go rock crawling or jumping or thick sand.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by greatskiiiier
im thinking prerunner, i agree with long travel, i strongly disagree with slamming it and making it "fast"
it will cost $5,000+ be "fast" and thats still not that fast (14 second 1/4 mile?)
Fast meaning motor swap for something that actually power Which doesnt need to cost anywhere near 5k.

Originally Posted by yakerat
I don't feel like I need to go the LT route because I don't wanna drop $3,000 more on my DD that doesn't see THAT much offroad use. I don't wanna try and match paint on the flared fenders that I would have to install.

I just want a clean DD that can go wherever I need it to. Nothing too crazy, I'm not gonna go rock crawling or jumping or thick sand.
I dont know of anything right now, but if i come across something i will let you know.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
key word here is Economical...

I say look at Batchracing...just like Magnusian said! never heard of them, but theres a lot of companies that aren't well known that produce top quality products!

yes..motor swap ....7MGTE say what!?!?! or maybe a 2JZGTE? heck even a 5mg would be nice lmfao

me personally, i would probably make it fast..but everyone has different opinions

instead of looking into lifts (which prolly wouldn't help AS MUCH as this) look into a locker for the rear!!!

if you were locked in the rear....and say some 31" swampers in the rear..you could prolly go a lot of places a stock 4wd rig won't...you'll just have to go balls out, 5,000rpm lmao
Old 08-27-2010, 11:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i seen a D-Stroked 327 chevy V8..it has a 283 crank and some different rods...

the D stroked design allowed it to turn well over 10,000rpms....that'd be a fun motor to have in a toyota
Old 08-27-2010, 11:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by camo31"10.50"
key word here is Economical...

I say look at Batchracing...just like Magnusian said! never heard of them, but theres a lot of companies that aren't well known that produce top quality products!

yes..motor swap ....7MGTE say what!?!?! or maybe a 2JZGTE? heck even a 5mg would be nice lmfao

me personally, i would probably make it fast..but everyone has different opinions

instead of looking into lifts (which prolly wouldn't help AS MUCH as this) look into a locker for the rear!!!

if you were locked in the rear....and say some 31" swampers in the rear..you could prolly go a lot of places a stock 4wd rig won't...you'll just have to go balls out, 5,000rpm lmao
I have heard enough bad things about the owner/fabricator of batchracing to stay away from his stuff. Some of it he makes can be REALLY nice, and then there is the times that he takes MONTHS to build it, takes WEEKS to get back to you, and i have even seen pictures of two different sized a arms.
I read through many threads for a couple hours a couple months ago, all on various forums, and there was a slim number cases where someone had something good to say about him, they all had some sort of complaint.

So IMO stay away from BatchRacing, and spend the extra cash to go with a total chaos kit so that you know you wont get screwed.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:24 PM

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts
x2 on what 2DoorRunner said. Nate at batch racing has not only ripped alot of people off and they are looking for him but he also couldnt weld or fab worth a crap and some of his kits were falling apart after a little offroad usage.
yakerat, i would go with the obsessed spindles. i have seen a pair in person and they good for what they are. i have also talked to a guy on dezertRangers and he has used them on his truck and jumped the crap out of it with no problems. i was going to order a set back when i had my old fabtech ivan dan kit but they would have run 1/2 the price i found my total chaos kit for so i went that route.

there used to be a guy on DR and on TTORA that made lift spindles but they were kind fugly and i dont think i would have trusted them. with the fabtech ones if you can find them, you have to worry about the steering arm ripping off the spindle and leaving you stranded on the side of the road which is a known problem with them.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by camo31"10.50"

Already locked in the rear with a detroit trutrac, and I love it! No more one wheel peel for me!

Last edited by yakerat; 08-28-2010 at 08:22 AM.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Robert m
yakerat, i would go with the obsessed spindles. i have seen a pair in person and they good for what they are. i have also talked to a guy on dezertRangers and he has used them on his truck and jumped the crap out of it with no problems.

with the fabtech ones if you can find them, you have to worry about the steering arm ripping off the spindle and leaving you stranded on the side of the road which is a known problem with them.
Thank you Twisted! Thats just the info I was looking for. The Obsessed spindles do look pretty beef in the picture but it's hard to tell just from a picture.

Do you know of any beef lift shackles? I know brian (beefed taco) makes them but I bet he charges an arm and a leg. Is there any companies out there that make quality lift shackles?
Old 08-28-2010, 02:34 PM

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts
with downey being gone i dont know off the top of my head. they are the ones that i had. but if i remember right i think (but not 100% sure) the 4x4 and 2wd used the same shackles or ones really close so you might be able to get away with buying some 4x4 ones. if anything i would give roger at 4crawler a call and give him the measurements of a 2wd and see if they would work.
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/Shackles.shtml
http://www.trail-gear.com/shackles
Old 09-07-2010, 09:47 AM

Ordered shackles from trailgear. I looked EVERYWHERE and trailgear had the cheapest greasable shackles since I will be running poly bushings. Also got some extended brake lines. Get this though I tried to order Obsessed Spindles and they told me they are going on vacation for 2 weeks and can't start making them until they get back.....Kinda bummed....lagging....