Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

2wd BJ's! spacers that is lol...

Old 01-27-2009, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2wd BJ's! spacers that is lol...

I am wanting to level my truck- 89 2wd dually

by staying with ifs and getting ball joints spacers is it safely possible to get 3 inches of lift?

i just wanna level my truck for cheap but safe.

Is 1.5 inch blocks the tallest you can buy? (from here : http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...ntSpacer.shtml) is there a 2 inch block? obviousley cv angle doesnt matter its a 2wd but help me out here lol

thanks
Old 01-27-2009, 07:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CVs are only half the battle. Steering is a big issue. With 2wd-size tires and primarily on road use (right?), that may not be an issue.

Steering is not an issue, then the limits are going a)the ride comfort and b) the limits of the alignment cam bolts.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:08 PM

With 2wd, you don't have CV's to worry about. Also, 2wd alignments are done with shims on the upper control arm, not cam bolts like the 4wd trucks... (sorry Matt16).

What you end up dealing with are the 'struts' from the front cross member back to the lower control arms: they are only "SO" long. With too much lift, the struts can't get longer and cause the LCA to be pulled too far forward, wreaking havoc with caster and camber... not to mention the LCA bushings. 3.5" lift is about the most you can get away with before they become a problem.

A bit more pricey, but more friendly with levelling your truck out since they don't affect geometry as much as BJ spacers, LT kits or even cranking the t-bars...: lift spindles- http://obsessedmotorsports.com/toyot...d_spindle.html
Old 01-28-2009, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
With 2wd, you don't have CV's to worry about. Also, 2wd alignments are done with shims on the upper control arm, not cam bolts like the 4wd trucks... (sorry Matt16).

What you end up dealing with are the 'struts' from the front cross member back to the lower control arms: they are only "SO" long. With too much lift, the struts can't get longer and cause the LCA to be pulled too far forward, wreaking havoc with caster and camber... not to mention the LCA bushings. 3.5" lift is about the most you can get away with before they become a problem.

A bit more pricey, but more friendly with levelling your truck out since they don't affect geometry as much as BJ spacers, LT kits or even cranking the t-bars...: lift spindles- http://obsessedmotorsports.com/toyot...d_spindle.html

but since i dont have $500 will the BJ spacers work?
Old 01-28-2009, 03:23 PM

Well... the spacers will work but you're gonna be limited in how much lift you get by the size of spacer (typically 1.5-2").

Basically they install like the 4wd spacer, but you will have to crank the bars up to get the lift. You have to do that with the 2wd since the torsion bars act on the lower arms, not the upper arm like the 4wd trucks, so installing the spacer moves the 'loose' upper arm up, not the sprung lower arm. Make sense?
The struts I mentioned won't be an issue with the spacers or with the spindles, or with a lift up to about 3.5". At least they're not an issue on my 91 with the (discontinued) Fabtech 3.5" lift... speaking of which maybe hit up ebay or craigslist and see if anyone's selling one. They are still out there and I bought the one for my 91 for 400 bucks.

Last edited by abecedarian; 01-28-2009 at 03:25 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:57 PM

they make 2" llft spindles for 2wds
Old 03-02-2009, 10:59 AM

I have some brand new 2wd BJ spacers I will sell you for $75. I got them from 4 crawler and never installed them. Now I dont need them and have them. Let me know. Armytaco@aim.com
Old 03-02-2009, 04:36 PM

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts
Well... the spacers will work but you're gonna be limited in how much lift you get by the size of spacer (typically 1.5-2").

Basically they install like the 4wd spacer, but you will have to crank the bars up to get the lift. You have to do that with the 2wd since the torsion bars act on the lower arms, not the upper arm like the 4wd trucks, so installing the spacer moves the 'loose' upper arm up, not the sprung lower arm. Make sense?
i dont get this. when i had stock suspension and i installed my spacers, it gave me lift. then when i cranked the torsions, i got even more. so why did they work on my truck?
Old 03-02-2009, 06:39 PM

I bought some 4Crawler BJ spacers (1.5"), and I was thinking about buying some of the Obsessed 3" lift spindles, is that too much for a 2WD ? Does anyone know if I'm going to need longer brake lines ? (and where to get them if I do ?)