86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2nd Gens doing the 50N recall POLL!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 04:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2nd Gens doing the 50N recall POLL!

The purpose of this thread is to compile a list of good and bad dealerships for the 50N relay rod recall. Hopefully this will help people get the most with the least amount of hassle!

1. Where did you take your rig? (City, state, dealership name)
2. What did they do for you? (besides the relay bar - did they do the alignment?)
3. Did they make you pay for any new parts necessary to do an alignment?
4. What is your name/quest/average airspeed of an unlaiden swallow? (monte python ftw!)

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 05-01-2007 at 04:02 PM.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i wasnt covered in the recall, but i cant resist that forth question.

dijlop/coolest truck in the world/fast enough to make a high pitched chirping noise while flying.

-_^
Old 05-01-2007, 04:07 PM

I took mine into Gresham toyota in Gresham OR and they did my alignment with my relay. They tried to get me to replace my ball joints and my cv boots, but I knew they needed replaced going into it, but I'm waiting to have it fixed. They also told me that my AC was unplugged and asked if I knew this, which i didn't. so i asked them to plug it back in, but they wanted like $100 just to plug it back in. I'm not sure exactly what it means that my AC is unplugged, but it's not worth $100 dollors when I can just roll my back window down to get a nice breeze and pluss it saves gas. Other than that I was satisfied with their work and they didn't try ripping me off. I didn't pay for one thing.

Last edited by SigEp4Runner; 05-01-2007 at 04:09 PM.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got mine done at SUNRISE TOYOTA IN Oakdale NY (Here is a link to there site) http://www.sunrisetoyota.com/

They are very good. They gave me all new Tie Rods, Frount End A., and even went as far as washing my rig. I would do business with them again.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:58 PM

Took my wife's '91 4-Runner to Power Toyota in Irvine, California. They replaced the relay, did the alignment and we didn't pay for either.

However, the steering gear box was leaking afterwards, there was a huge chunk of styrofoam wedged between the relay, and half of the relay was still wrapped in plastic.

On the same visit we also had a tune up done since it was in the shop. Well, it ran like ˟˟˟˟˟ when we picked it up. Took it back, still runs like ˟˟˟˟˟. Decided to cut my losses and just get out of there. Stay away from their service department. Fast, incompetent service.

The parts department is a different story. Excellent, especially Bob. He knows a lot about the older trucks and 4-Runners. Nice guy too.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:16 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
4. What? African or European?
Old 05-02-2007, 05:54 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ummmm - you HAVE read the stickied thread right? LOTS of dealer reports in there...
Old 05-02-2007, 10:02 AM
Contributing Member

Little Rock, Ar

Landers Toyota

Only replaced steering rod. Did not do the alignment. And tryed to charge me $1500 for idler arm and other misc parts.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1. Flagstaff, AZ Bob Sellers Toyota
2. Alignment and cleaned crap off my wipers.
3. No added cost.
4. Monte Python as always ftw.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
The purpose of this thread is to compile a list of good and bad dealerships for the 50N relay rod recall. Hopefully this will help people get the most with the least amount of hassle!

1. Where did you take your rig? (City, state, dealership name)
2. What did they do for you? (besides the relay bar - did they do the alignment?)
3. Did they make you pay for any new parts necessary to do an alignment?
4. What is your name/quest/average airspeed of an unlaiden swallow? (monte python ftw!)
1. Huntsville, AL Bill Penney Toyota
2. Replace relay bar only. Said they couldn't align, idler and pitman bad, needed bearings packed. Took somewhere else, pitman and idler good. Had just packed bearings week before. Aligned perfectly.
3. No, wanted $500 to do above extra work that it didn't need.
4. Knights that go NEEEK!/harass others/ 40mph
Old 05-02-2007, 01:22 PM

Missoula, MT Bitterroot Motors
Replaced steering rod only, did alignment, didn't try to sell any other parts or service.
No charge.
Only use this shop for recalls all other work done by Master Tech (Toyotas Only!)
First Post!
Old 05-02-2007, 02:21 PM
Contributing Member

Albuquerque, NM
Karl Malone Toyota
Replaced steering rod and did an alignment.
Didn't attempt to sell me anything because I wouldn't let them.
Good parts department, standard service department.

Originally Posted by Mattabilly
Missoula, MT Bitterroot Motors
Replaced steering rod only, did alignment, didn't try to sell any other parts or service.
No charge.
Only use this shop for recalls all other work done by Master Tech (Toyotas Only!)
First Post!
Master Tech is Amazing! I miss that guy. Bitterroot motors is only slightly incompetent. They did the HG recall work on my 89 way back when I lived in Missoula and it was satisfactory, but the rates there ARE NOT worth the quality of work.

Andy

Last edited by AndYota; 05-02-2007 at 02:24 PM.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:09 PM

I wondered for a while why would Toyota recall all those old junkers, 15 years old with 200k plus miles on them. Majority unable to pass government inspection in euro zone due to parts falling off.

Well, proly Toyota have to show some loss to the tax man, can`t figure out another reason, plus they may sell you somethin` and still get ahead...
Old 05-02-2007, 05:38 PM

Actually I think there's another reason...

How many times has ford/chevy/dodge gotten a seriously bad rap after being FORCED to recall stuff?

If toyota does it voluntarily and takes care of their customers up to 2 decades after the purchase it ONLY looks AWSOME to potential buyers. Consider it advertising via word of mouth.

[/hijack]
Old 05-02-2007, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota

If toyota does it voluntarily and takes care of their customers up to 2 decades after the purchase it ONLY looks AWSOME to potential buyers. Consider it advertising via word of mouth....

I do no bout that customer thing .

Just look on the posts in this thread. Hardly see any potencial paying customers here
Old 05-02-2007, 08:12 PM

If by relay rod you also mean center link, I had mine done at Country Hills Toyota here in Calgary. I was at the parts counter ordering something (can't recall what) and the senior parts guy walks by and says "you got a '91? There might be a center link recall on it." Dude goes and grabs one and shows me, so I went and checked with their service department. Advisor runs my VIN and it shows I'm eligible for it, so we book it in for a couple days later. Calls me up and says it's in, but recommends replacing a worn bushing while they've got it apart. What the hell...I cough up money for the parts and they replaced them, then aligned the thing for free. Steering is noticeably tighter that before with no free play.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:00 AM

Stevinson Toyota, Golden Colorado. Aligned it. No charge.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Pat Lobb Toyota, McKinney Texas.
Replaced rod, aligned it. WASHED IT (went in muddy too!)
Didn't try to sell me anything and no charge.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:05 PM

was this recall only for 4runners?
Old 05-09-2007, 06:13 PM

1. Family Toyota. Runnemede, NJ
2. Asked them to put in an idler arm and they said they'd cut me a deal because it would be apart anyway.
3. Did not align.

Also charged me $230 for a $70 part. And when I picked up my truck, my exhaust was falling off. I asked them to fix and they gave me excuses. Ended up fixing it myself in their parking lot.

The best part was when I pulled into the lot, a salesman approched me. He asked "Can I help you?" I said, "I'm here for a recall". He then said "Shouldn't you be at a Ford dealership?" I told him "You're fired!"

Quick Reply: 2nd Gens doing the 50N recall POLL!