Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

2nd. generation ISR mod woes

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 06:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd. generation ISR mod woes

alright i am in the process of the intake silencer removal on my second gen. 4runner and have run into some minor setbacks. i am following the directions/parts list provided in the tech section, https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f130...4runner-75167/

the list i'm following...
2' of flexible furnace ducting ( to make the mock set up) - Hardware store
5" of rubber hose 3" inside diameter - Hydraulic supply store
4 - hose clamps ( I used 4" ones) - Hydraulic/hardware store
1-90 degree 1/2" brass fitting , 2 washers and 1 O-ring to fit this fitting
(one end has to push a hose on the other has to have threads) - Hydraulic/hardware store
1-90 degree 7/16" brass fitting , 2 washers and 1 O-ring to fit fitting
(one end has to push a hose on the other has to have threads) - Hydraulic/hardware store
1 nut to fit the 1/2 fitting
1 nut to fit the 7/16 fitting - Hydraulic/hardware store

the problem that i am running into is the brass fittings. the first one the list calls for is one 1/2" 90 degree fitting. i found it BUT the threaded end is a pipe thread and is tapered(will not accept a nut) and the directions call for a nut... i am also confused where the o-ring would go. you could screw the threads all the way down and still not use the o-ring. all of the sealing on the fitting is designed to come from the threads... not an o-ring.

also when i went to the hydraulic supply store and the guy that worked there said he had never heard of a 7/16" fitting or even 7/16" hose so i got the next size down and got a 3/8" i believe... will this work or should i go bigger? and again,tapered threads... no nut.
any help is greatly appreciated. if anyone in the colorado springs area has done this please let me know where you got your brass fittings... i do not know where else to look.
thanks again.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:26 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Depending on how attached you are to going in the direction you're going with the parts you've already purchased, you might explore another alternative.

When I intially began to do the ISR mod, I followed the directions in the write-up in the tech section. However, after running into the complications you are now running into, I simplified matters by buying a piece of preformed PVC conduit (heavy duty, schedule 80 electrical conduit...45deg angle), 3" radiator hose.....6in's length., and requisite brass fittings (whatever size close enough you can get to matching the instructions will work). The brass fittings I was able to screw directly into the holes I drilled into the PVC and had no need for washers or o-rings. Plus, the PVC was a direct fit: no need for getting tubing bent...hence, no need for the mock up. VERY simple install.

Another fellow on the forum used some brown PVC (mine is grey) that had a sharp angle to it, but again at a 45 deg angle. A search will show you the pics and how he did it.

You can take back what you don't need...the washers, o-rings, and vent tube if you've not already altered anything.

BUT, if you are attached to your present route all I can say is good luck. I just know it was nearly impossible to find what was needed as per "instructions".

Last edited by thook; 08-10-2007 at 06:27 AM.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:37 AM
Contributing Member

I think I used 3/8. Also on the fittings if you can't get it in there very well, use JB weld to finish it. Works great!
Old 08-10-2007, 10:39 AM

thanks for the imput! the only reason i am remotely attached to the idea is that i already purchsed most of the parts and returning them would make me drive all over town again, which would be nice to avoid. but i will search for the PVC idea. it sounds much simpler. maybe even saving me a headache. thanks again. keep the comments coming!