86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2nd gen. exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd gen. exhaust

I just cut my exhaust on my 2nd gen. at the muffler to make it more low profile for wheeling. I was wondering if there is any issue when doing this? My friend says that it won't effect anything negatively.

I only cut off the extra piping to where the muffler is.

Is there any good exhausts out there that can improve mpg? and power? or either or?

Thanks
Old 02-09-2009, 12:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So you just cut the piece coming off the muffler to the side of the truck? So like 2ft of pipe?

I dont think theres going to be any difference.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:00 PM

Yeah it was about 2ft. of pipe.

Yeah it makes sense that there won't be anything difference. It made the exhaust louder though. It makes it sound ok.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:01 PM

I did the same thing cause mine was well rusted through and there haven't been any ill side effects. The only thing i would say i don't like about it, is that the exhaust has no direction and just heads straight out the back and with the back window rolled down the fumes come in.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:14 PM

yeah, I agree about the fumes thing.

My muffler has some rust spots that look like they may go through and it kindda sounds like I have an exhaust leak a little. Its not that bad though. But I think that contributes to the low tone it had when the exhaust was stock.. now it sounds even deeper. (Doesn't sound that great though). lol.

What would be a good upgrade?
Old 02-09-2009, 01:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SMOD
yeah, I agree about the fumes thing.

My muffler has some rust spots that look like they may go through and it kindda sounds like I have an exhaust leak a little. Its not that bad though. But I think that contributes to the low tone it had when the exhaust was stock.. now it sounds even deeper. (Doesn't sound that great though). lol.

For a muffler? Theres a bunch out there, i just have a regular cherry bomb. I like it, nice sound (for a single tube exhaust) and it has great flow. Cherry bombs are like $40 too.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:54 PM

i did this to my truck it resonates like crazy at certain rpm i even set off a car alarm once.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:54 PM

Yeah I was thinking of just doing the muffler because the cat was replaced fairly recently and it looks good.

What would be a good full exhaust though? I was thinking Flowmaster, but do they even make a full exhaust for my 2nd gen.?
Old 02-09-2009, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Ed H.
i did this to my truck it resonates like crazy at certain rpm i even set off a car alarm once.
Lol. Mine idles really deep. and when I shift, as soon as it goes into neutral the rpms lower and the exhaust rumbles a deep deep tone that sort of hurts my ears. lol. It's all good though.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:19 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
a full pre made exhaust is worthless... what motor do you have?? if its the V6 then id say go with a magnaflow... they sound great... not loud, but deep...

and for a 4 cyl, go with a cherry bomb... cheap and effective...

the reason i say dont go with the pre made stuff is because if you want to go with headers down the road it'll have to be modified...

i say just go 2.25-2.5 inch from the cat back...
Old 02-09-2009, 06:08 PM

I have the 3.0 V6

Does Magnaflow make a pre made one for the 3.0 V6?

I've heard of delete cats? What exactly are delete cats? lol.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:34 PM

its a cat delete... when you toss your girlfriends annoying cat out the window doing 75 mph...

nah, its just as it sounds... cutting the cat out and welding a straight pipe out to the muffler...
since your in CA i highly advise against this... its illeagle and will need to be replaced before you get smogged...
plus, muany believe that the catalytic converter is one of those things that you dont get rid of, and it makes sense... i mean, its on your truck for a reason...

as for the pre-made exhaust, i dont believe that magnaflow makes one, but like i said before, it would prolly be cheaper just to go to a local exhaust shop and get one custom bent...

mine was ~$275 for 2.5" piping from the cat back into a magnaflow muffler and a clean looking chrome tip...
Old 02-09-2009, 08:35 PM

also, there are companies that make "high flow" catalytic converters, but i believe that they are illeagle in CA as well...

man, with the new smog laws headin our way here in CA, just leave your smog system as unmolested as possible...
Old 02-09-2009, 08:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i would LOVE to have the DEEPEST DARKEST tone possible on my '86 22r...thought about a cherrybomb..but idk what would accomplish this..im talking like a LOUD and LOW rumble at idle..dont want to spend the change like for a flowmaster...i dont want something that sounds like a little rice burner at higher rpm's either..i have a header..2.25in. pipe..no cat..and a single in single out thrush turbo..it's pretty deep..but i want the deepest possible..thanks for the help
Old 02-10-2009, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by space-junk
also, there are companies that make "high flow" catalytic converters, but i believe that they are illeagle in CA as well...

man, with the new smog laws headin our way here in CA, just leave your smog system as unmolested as possible...
Yeah, I have a friend that moved to Oregon just to get away from smog. lmao. He did have an illegal street racer though.

Yeah, I think I will keep the cat there. lol. I need a car to drive on the road. I will look into the magnaflow mufflers and do what you did, and take it to an exhaust shop.

Thanks for the info!
Old 02-10-2009, 07:12 PM

I just put mine how. had a shop weld up a cat back and it was 240 out the door. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...cation-165888/
Old 02-11-2009, 09:59 AM

flowmaster 50 series... look around on ebay for a good deal. have your tailpipe point out and away from the truck [not at the ground] for less interior noise...
Old 02-11-2009, 10:02 AM

Wouldn't 2.5" piping decrease back pressure and cause a loss of power?
Old 02-11-2009, 10:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Flowmaster or Magnaflow are both decent mufflers, which one depends on your tastes in sound.

I advise against the converter delete as well. The laws are in effect in California stating that the only converters that can be installed have to be either OEM or aftermarket which have gone through durability and performance testing on your year / engine vehicle and have received an exemption order, which the EO number MUST be stamped on the converter. The Magnaflow site: http://www.car-sound.com/04basics/04california.asp has a bunch of info and links to the C.A.R.B. site about the law (among which is a list of LEGAL converters to sell / install in California).
Old 02-11-2009, 10:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wouldn't 2.5" piping decrease back pressure and cause a loss of power?
Not necessarily... and it's an ongoing argument yet to be decided, at least here.
And if the converter were in place, that would account for a substantial portion of backpressure most likely more than the rest of the exhaust system.

Quick Reply: 2nd gen. exhaust