Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

2nd gen aftermarket door panel clear lens??

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd gen aftermarket door panel clear lens??

Was wondering if there's a company that replaces the OE red lens? I wanted to replace them with some clear ones if they do make. Anyone?
Old 02-23-2013, 11:03 AM

been looking myself and not finding any.

they are pretty simple, and thin.. I think that florescent lights covers you can buy at home depot can be shaped and molded to work..

the curve is very minimal, some light heat from a hair dryer, curve the light cover and drop into cold water to freeze/hold the bend and you should be able to make your own.

I will be trying it when I get to my interior fixes for the '95 Runner I just bought. It needs new carpet, dash cover, and some other interior fixes, this project will be one of them.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:51 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Yeah those aren't fo you to use as a light source outside the vehicle they're so people know to stop when your door is opeing in front of them.

Anyways try bicycle reflectors, I don't recall the size or shape of those door lamps. They have clear for the front and red for the back in various shapes and sizes.

"polycarbonate ("Tg" or "glass transition temperature")" I don't recall this exactly it's about 220-235 I think, the window between plastic and molten isn't very big be carefull. And let it cool down slowly or you'll get thermal shock and shatter or crack.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE
been looking myself and not finding any.

they are pretty simple, and thin.. I think that florescent lights covers you can buy at home depot can be shaped and molded to work..

the curve is very minimal, some light heat from a hair dryer, curve the light cover and drop into cold water to freeze/hold the bend and you should be able to make your own.

I will be trying it when I get to my interior fixes for the '95 Runner I just bought. It needs new carpet, dash cover, and some other interior fixes, this project will be one of them.
Sounds good. Lmk how it goes. If you mock up a set for yourself and got it down to a T then I'll buy a pair from you.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
Yeah those aren't fo you to use as a light source outside the vehicle they're so people know to stop when your door is opeing in front of them.

Anyways try bicycle reflectors, I don't recall the size or shape of those door lamps. They have clear for the front and red for the back in various shapes and sizes.

"polycarbonate ("Tg" or "glass transition temperature")" I don't recall this exactly it's about 220-235 I think, the window between plastic and molten isn't very big be carefull. And let it cool down slowly or you'll get thermal shock and shatter or crack.
I know what it was for but I was just wanted everything in the interior clear. Just a personal pet peeve of mine lols. Just wanted it a little classier touch on the inside while I redo my whole interior.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:09 PM

Yeah clear will look a little cleaner and match any interior. You can always throw a colored bulb or led in, and it won't look like a cycle or something coming up the road.

I'm abit over consious on the safety lights. Out here in the country we have had people run over due to mucked up lighting. Remeber to not let anyone stand in front of your hazard lights when you're on the side of the road changing a flat, and make sure they're flashing too!
Old 02-24-2013, 07:33 PM

I've been thinking about this lately too, maybe a sheet of acrylic, home depot has them pretty cheap, probably just cut to fit but won't reflect the light like a factory one.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:38 PM

They have various styles of plexigass type light diffusers also at the big box stores.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
Yeah clear will look a little cleaner and match any interior. You can always throw a colored bulb or led in, and it won't look like a cycle or something coming up the road.

I'm abit over consious on the safety lights. Out here in the country we have had people run over due to mucked up lighting. Remeber to not let anyone stand in front of your hazard lights when you're on the side of the road changing a flat, and make sure they're flashing too!
Damn people getting run over? Thank god our drivers here in Hawaii don't mess with us Lifted Toys. Once they see us they leave a whole lane open. Plus it ain't hard to spot us either haha.