Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

2nd Gen 2WD vs 4WD Toyota Frame Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 01:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2nd Gen 2WD vs 4WD Toyota Frame Questions.

Hi everyone.

I have a 2nd Gen parts 4Runner which is 4WD and I was planning a frame off build with. Recently I learnt that the 2nd Gen 4Runner 2WD frame at the front is 1.5" lower. I was thinking of getting the frame C-Notched but with a 2WD frame I won't have to.

Is this the same for the same generation truck frame? Is the truck frame the same as the 4Runner frame?

I'm moving a long way so this is a good reason to dump my wreck if I can just buy a cheap 2nd Gen 2WD truck or 4Runner to get the frame. 2WD vehicles are cheaper and maybe I can get lucky and find a 4Runner with a clean body as well.

If not the trucks are pretty common in 2WD I think so if I can use one because the body mounts line up great.

Thanks!
Old 08-22-2013, 03:45 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Wagon
...the 2nd Gen 4Runner 2WD frame at the front is 1.5" lower. Is this the same for the same generation truck frame? Is the truck frame the same as the 4Runner frame?
No it isn't, no it isn't, and not quite.
...2nd Gen 2WD truck or 4Runner to get the frame. 2WD vehicles are cheaper and maybe I can get lucky and find a 4Runner with a clean body as well.
2WD 4Runners are SUPER RARE, any generation. So good luck finding one of those.
If not the trucks are pretty common in 2WD I think so if I can use one because the body mounts line up great.
Well...they don't line up great at all. So it's definitely not the best option. In fact, building a 4WD truck/4Runner on a 2WD truck frame is pretty much the last option. They really aren't that similar(even as far as just the trucks go). Lots of fab work required to do it right.

However...

To the best of my knowledge, a 2WD 4Runner frame is the same as a 4WD 4Runner frame(of the same generation of course)

BTW, truck generations and 4Runner generations are NOT THE SAME. 2nd gen trucks are similar(body and frame wise) to 1st gen 4Runners. After that, there aren't many similarities between generations(body or frame wise).

Last edited by MudHippy; 08-22-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:14 PM

Sorry bad wording. The 4WD is lower.

Doing an SAS with a 2WD will keep the front lower.

Do be more specific, could I use a 92 truck frame on a 92 4Runner?

I know it's a lot of work.

I got info here.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyot...onversion.html

I can't find the thread that has the measurement specs. It looks like using a 2WD for an axle swap could help keep the rig lower.
]

Thanks for the reply.

__
Old 08-22-2013, 04:23 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I don't know what you could possibly mean by "lower". As previously stated, a 2WD 4Runner frame IS THE SAME AS a 4WD 4Runner frame. The only major differences between a 2WD and 4WD 4Runner is one has a front axle and a transfer case, the other doesn't. I'm 99.99999% sure of this. My only uncertainty derives from never having actually seen a 2WD 4Runner in person...to 100% verify that fact. Though I can show you parts diagrams that FULLY support my claim.

92 truck frames are significantly different from 92 4Runner frames. But, yes, you could. If you wanted to. It would be a lot less work to use one from a 4WD regular cab short bed model. I would strongly advise against using ANY 2WD truck frame though. Like I said, not very similar.

Last edited by MudHippy; 08-22-2013 at 04:32 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:18 PM

The front arch is higher or something on the 2WD frame according to guys and measurements I saw over at Pirate. This allowed for their SAS to be 1.5" lower up front.

Anyway, you answered my question about 4Runner frames and the same year truck frame. I understand there will be a lot of work. I expect that and want it. I want to build my own truck and will take a good bit of time to learn to do it properly.

Have to finish the current one first of course. I just have a set of FJ62 axles I want to start researching the job and what options I have.

Thanks again for taking the time to give me some info Hippy.

If I can find the Pirate thread I'll post it.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All 2 gen 4Runner frames are the same except the rare 2 door version.
Pick up frames are all different between models ( of the 3gens), There is even two different 2WD versions, one is designed to be lower (mini-truck) and the other is the same as 4x4 versions just no 4WD.

Models are reg cab, Excab, long bed, short bed (and stepside), Flatbed or utility bed, the extremely rare 4 door, But I believe that only came with short bed (My ExCab longbed has a really long frame, hate to see what a 4 door version with a long bed is like)
Old 08-22-2013, 08:00 PM

Thanks, I'll keep digging through everything to keep learning.

So much different info out there it's difficult to wade through the bull˟˟˟˟.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Toyota~Boy
Here's a little info.

The 2wd frame is much better for SASing. You have more clearance since they are designed off a SA frame. High steer has much more room. All IFS eliminator kits work with 2wd frames.

As stated above you must obtain a Transfercase, transmission, IFS steering box, and both Axles. You must also fabricate a crossmember for the transmission. You may also note that 84-95 toyota truck cabs are interchangeable as long as you are using a corresponding frame. ( short wheel base, long wheel base, extended cab, ext ) but 2nd and 3rd gens are interchangeable.

I'm currently building a SASed rig using a 2wd frame.

Good luck to you and have fun with your build. Looking forward to seeing pics.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f152.../#post52113171

Maybe something I was reading is what Yota Boy is talking about.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's the info on your 4Runner vs Pickup frame.

The regular cab shortwheel base frame is identical to the 1st gen 4Runners except for the very first set of bed mounts located behind the cab. On a pickup those mounts are located up high. There low on a 4runner because of rear floor board. 3rd gen pickups are the same as well. The next set of 4runners are the same except for coils in rear. Hope this helps