Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22RTE Turbo question

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22RTE Turbo question

On my 87 Toyota pickup sr5 4x4 the crank case breather tube goes down to the air filter pipe to turbo... dripping engine oil into the turbo and blowing through all the way to the throttle body and intake. Is this just a poor design? and will it cause problems? Or is this for lubrication of the turbo or something? Should I remove this from the intake tube and run a higher tube with a crank case breather filter?
Old 05-17-2013, 10:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So your pcv system is linked to the intake tubing before the turbo? My engine does the same thing. Your turbo does not need extra oil lubrication to it as it already has an oil supply to cool and lube the bearings. This oil vapour can cause problems depending on your engine design. On the 7m, it plugs the Air Flow Meter eventually. I have an oil catch can sitting behind my seat that I need to install. Its simply a container that go in line with your pcv hose to catch the oil vapour before it enters your intake system. Just drain that once a month and its all good.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by nothingbetter
So your pcv system is linked to the intake tubing before the turbo? My engine does the same thing. Your turbo does not need extra oil lubrication to it as it already has an oil supply to cool and lube the bearings. This oil vapour can cause problems depending on your engine design. On the 7m, it plugs the Air Flow Meter eventually. I have an oil catch can sitting behind my seat that I need to install. Its simply a container that go in line with your pcv hose to catch the oil vapour before it enters your intake system. Just drain that once a month and its all good.
The PCV connects to the intake manifold. What I am talking about is the crank case breather at the front of the valve cover on top.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:51 AM

Hey, yeah I know of what you speak. Turbo applications have a bit of a problem with crankcase pressure and its a decent setup. BUT it does suck up oil particles, and then you end up with oily intake and turbo and such. The oil catch can is a simple device that just as the name implies, catches the oil particles, but lets the crankcase breathe/let's the intake put a vacuum on the crankcase. You just mount it, and re route the hoses and your done! But get a good catch can. One with chambers, and one that doesn't have a breather. Otherwise your defeating the purpose of the entire setup