Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22rte rough start and weird noise when cold

Old 11-28-2016, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22rte rough start and weird noise when cold

This is on my 1987 Toyota pickup 22rte Turbo. I started hearing a click noise when my truck is cold around six months ago and it didn't bother me as I thought it was a harmless valve tick but it's has recently gotten worse. It has started to get extremely loud when it's cold and to admit how loud it is I have been asked if it's a rod Nock on a few occasions, when it warms up it gets quiet but it becomes a quiet click nose. it's coming from the top end not the bottom end. I have also noticed that it doesn't like to start up as well as it did before this noise started, it takes up to five turns before it starts then almost always wants to shut back off immediately, but with a flutter of the throttle it will continue running. those are my symptoms, what is it? Thanks in advance!
Old 11-29-2016, 07:37 AM

Things that come to mind:
Clogged fuel filter
Are all your plugs in good shape?
Are you sure it is coming from the motor? I had a similar noise when cold, turned out to be a loose heatshield under the cab.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:39 PM

Worse valve tick

I just replaced they plugs and that fixed it not starting up very well but I have a new issue. I took it apart to do the valves. Surprisingly yet were overtight so I loosened them and tightened then to spec now the valve tick is even worse. Any ideas how I should proceed?
Old 12-03-2016, 07:45 AM

How id the rockers and the cam look?

Search this Thread