Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22rte engine idle/throttle question

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22rte engine idle/throttle question

I have just put a rebuilt engine in my toyota 22rte. I got it to idle just fine in park, when I hit the gas the engine will rev up. but now when I putit in drive The automatic transmission goes in to drive fine. but I Can not accelerate, It does not idle up or go over 5 miles per hour. jump the codes it flashed 11 times said some thing about throttle body. I know I need to do a valve adjustment still, and it does have an exhaust leak where the exhaust meets the turbo. could this have something to do with it? The Turbo is at 15% pressure when Idling. If any one one knows anything, I'd appreciate the info. Thanks

Last edited by kylecaves; 10-24-2007 at 08:49 PM.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Code 11 has to do with the Throttle Position Sensor:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/TPS/index.shtml
Old 10-25-2007, 05:34 AM

check out this site.
http://www.22rte-trucks.com/simplema...orum/index.php
Old 11-02-2007, 10:50 PM

bump for kyle and I am going to add to this
I have been helping kyle on this
this motor is fresh all new internals & milled to spec
time has not been on our side this last week

we also found out that #2&#3 where not getting spark = bad sparkplug wires
replaced them and have spark to them then readjusted timing
crazy thing you could not tell it was even missing two cylinders it sounded fine and idled fine.

then we checked the tps and it was showing 0 and inspecting the throttle body it was toast, if held up to a light you could see through the butterfly valve.

lucky for kyle when he got this truck it came with a second motor and a few extra intakes so we tested one of the other ones and it was to spec put in on and it idled better and now could drive.

BUT now we have a new problem first off it was a real pain to get time set don't know if the double chain was stretched but that seems very unlikely.
but it was the only thing that was used the tensioner was good very little wear on it same as the steel guides.

ok anyway the new problem it it can drive and gets up to 35 MPH but if you hit a hill it doggs out and I mean doggs out to like 10mph up the hill and gets the exhaust hot and glowing so no test drive near a hill for right now we did let the turbo cool down by letting the truck idle besides the dogging on the hill the truck is running great.

sounds like the valves need adjustment they are a bit ticky
after the last test run we have not found the time to meet up and work out this bug...

any input would be appreciated

I know nothing about 22ret's or any type of turbo set up at that this is all very new to me.

also the instrument lights do not work if you turn on the lights now, this was not a problem before the swap we have not even started looking for a grounded out wire but that would be my guess of what that is.

thanks in advance Cymon
Old 11-02-2007, 11:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like the TPS is screwed up. I forgot to plug mine in after working on it and had the exact same problems.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:01 AM

An exhaust leak would not cause you to produce ECU error codes but it will make your performance suck.

How are you measuring that the turbo is at 15% pressure at idle? There's not really anyway to measure that with the stock instrumentation or ECU. Additionally, you should not have any boost pressure at idle. If you don't have one, I would highly suggest investing in a mechanical boost gauge. They are fairly cheap and will help a lot in troubleshooting your turbo motor. (The "turbo" light does nothing to indicate actual boost levels).

If you have a leak in the exhaust before the turbo it will not build pressure at the same rate as if it were sealed, so the turbo will take a lot longer to spool. I'd suspect that if you still have a pre-turbo exhaust leak that is the source of your doggy hill performance and glowing hot exhaust components. A well running 22RTE should be able to power up a hill in 5th gear @ 65 mph pretty easily.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:09 PM

he has a boost gauge and also was hooked up but is off he has a boost tuner there also is a hook up for a computer line who ever had this truck has invested some cash so they could tune the ecu.
we still have not got back to looking over the truck but kyle or myself will inspect the manifold for a bad seal.

I will take a few pics of the setup that is on this truck to give you all a better idea of what the PO has done and installed

and thanks again for the input