86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

22RET- time to upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22RET- Engine/trans replace & upgrade

I just acquired an 87 turbo 4Runner with 211K miles. Long time wheeler, first time 'yota owner (hence the low post count).

I chose an 22RET because I'm in CA and wanted to be able to hop it up without freaking out the smog patrol bunch.

The RET is running fine (low boost, common issue), but uses a little bit of coolant (from the white stuff on the exh. manifold, it seems to be going out a gasket and down the turbo), and the exhaust manifold gasket is leaking at the head.

This being CA, I need to fix that exhaust leak to pass smog, which I need to do before I can register it. It looks like more work than I want to get into just to swap a gasket. I'll have the turbo in my hand, so I should swap it. But since the motor or head gasket probably won't like that...

It's time to put something nicer in there rather than chase issues one by one. And since the AT is shifting a bit rough, it won't last long behind a good motor either. Good thing I wanted a 5 speed anyways!

What's a good source for reman engines? I'm looking for a modest ~240hp (100 bhp/liter turbo seems totally reasonable, BMW does that NA) or so when I'm done. OK, maybe 300. Unless that won't be wheelable power!!

Anyone offer something turnkey? I don't want problems and will not feel my manhood is diminished if I just buy something out of a catalog.

Which turbo should I go with? The CT20 replacement from TEC, or is there a better choice?

For the motor, I checked out LCEngineering, they resell ATK motors. How are their motors
Or should I get a ToySports motor? Yeah or Nay?
This seems compelling (350hp)...
http://www.toysport.com/technical%20...tech_notes.htm

Google is letting me down here. Lots of "I did it" but not "you need these things" or a howto (or my skills are getting out of date).
AT to 5speed tranny howto?

One more request please - any good resource for interior parts like carpet kit, driver's power window switch assy (completely missing), door panels, etc.

Thanks!

Looking forward to learning Toyota stuff and sharing my knowledge back.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by edeslaur
I just acquired an 87 turbo 4Runner with 211K miles. Long time wheeler, first time 'yota owner (hence the low post count).
Welcome!
I chose an 22RET because I'm in CA and wanted to be able to hop it up without freaking out the smog patrol bunch.
Well, as long as you keep the engine looking stock and passing sniffers you won't have much problem.
The RET is running fine (low boost, common issue), but uses a little bit of coolant (from the white stuff on the exh. manifold, it seems to be going out a gasket and down the turbo), and the exhaust manifold gasket is leaking at the head.
What do you mean "low boost, common issue"? It only runs 7PSI max so...? It's a relatively long stroke 4 cylinder so it can't be pushed a heck of a lot and still be streetable. Well, take that back. Several people are claiming 10-15 PSI without issues.
This being CA, I need to fix that exhaust leak to pass smog, which I need to do before I can register it. It looks like more work than I want to get into just to swap a gasket. I'll have the turbo in my hand, so I should swap it. But since the motor or head gasket probably won't like that...
These are actually some of the most simple turbo installations around. I could probably swap your exhaust manifold gasket within 2 hours.
It's time to put something nicer in there rather than chase issues one by one. And since the AT is shifting a bit rough, it won't last long behind a good motor either. Good thing I wanted a 5 speed anyways!
Ever thought it's shifting poorly because the engine isn't working properly?
Having owned and driven a few turbo'd vehicles, turbo's and automatics are natural mates: no loss of boost as you go from one gear to the next, consistant application of power to the wheels since you don't have to depress a clutch pedal causing the engine to become totally disconnected from the driveline and lose all power to the wheels while shifting... need I go on?
What's a good source for reman engines? I'm looking for a modest ~240hp (100 bhp/liter turbo seems totally reasonable, BMW does that NA) or so when I'm done. OK, maybe 300. Unless that won't be wheelable power!!
HP is mostly an irrelevant figure when you consider that it is torque that makes the engine (and wheels) go round. If you're looking for 100+ miles per hour, then yeah, maybe HP may be a concern but all that means is you've got some torque to spare. Anymore, HP is a calculated number based on torque. I might even venture so far as to say that any of those BMW's would be hard pressed to beat a 100HP 'yota in a tug-o-war.
Anyone offer something turnkey? I don't want problems and will not feel my manhood is diminished if I just buy something out of a catalog.

Which turbo should I go with? The CT20 replacement from TEC, or is there a better choice?
I've heard the CT26 is a worth-while upgrade.
For the motor, I checked out LCEngineering, they resell ATK motors. How are their motors
Or should I get a ToySports motor? Yeah or Nay?
This seems compelling (350hp)...
http://www.toysport.com/technical%20...tech_notes.htm

Google is letting me down here. Lots of "I did it" but not "you need these things" or a howto (or my skills are getting out of date).
AT to 5speed tranny howto?

One more request please - any good resource for interior parts like carpet kit, driver's power window switch assy (completely missing), door panels, etc.

Thanks!

Looking forward to learning Toyota stuff and sharing my knowledge back.
You're on your way. But most anything to boost power from a 22r/re/ret is going to shorten its lifespan. You've also got the options of M series engine swaps (5/6/7 MGE/MGTE) and the 5VZE as well as GM and Ford V6 and V8 engine swaps.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:32 PM

To your point, I'm not looking for a screamer with a soft bottom end. It's a truck, not a car.

Boost is only 1/2 or less on the gauge (partly related to the leak I'm sure). I've been reading a bit on the 22RET and it appears not uncommon for CT20s to be putting out 1/2 the boost they should. One link (magazine article) has a TEC shaving over 1.5 second to 60mph AND getting 4mpg more.
http://www.greenhydrant.com/~drees/a...rboupgrade.php

2 hours sounds pretty good. Turbo, really? How far are you from SD and do you accept beer too!?!? LOL (I don't think that was an offer, but see how I probably made it attractive?) Maybe I should risk the install of a TEC on this motor if it's that quick to do this. Hmmm....

The tranny sometimes judders when I come to a stop, and it shifts from 2nd to OD, then immediately down into 3rd when it's cold. It's doing OK, considering the miles.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:39 PM

Don't have a turbo truck myself but I'd guess 1/2 or less on the gauge translates to "you aren't going to overboost and blow the engine"... and may be related to an exhaust leak, ignition timing, intake leak or who knows... maybe even plugged converter or jacked-up muffler.

As for accepting beer, I just might, but SD is just shy of anywhere between 60 and 120 miles of me. Considering the beer-per-mile factor for allowance with DUI's... it'd have to take a lot longer than 2 hours for me to drink enough beer to compensate me for the work.

Everything is a lot more complicated than it looks. Step back, look, and visualize how it all works together. You'll see it's not as bad as it seems. Even the head gasket can be done in a day or so.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Turbo engines hate exhaust leaks if they are between the engine and turbo. How such a small amount of escaping gas can ruin boost so much, I still don't know. Restrictions in the exhaust post-turbine also make them unhappy.

Just as an FYI, 240hp at the flywheel is doable, but 240 at the back wheels is likely going to need some "red flag to the smog guy" mods. Getting the head ported well is probably one of the best mods for a 22RTE because it is the biggest bottleneck. Next to that would probably be good engine management.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:47 PM

ToySport quote "Emissions legal, 250 is easy. 300 is easy too. But you need an intercooler for either and they've been discontinued, so we'll have to figure something out." (crank hp quoted)

Est $4500 for the motor (deliver mine to them, then they can tell me for sure), $950 for the turbo. Hmm, seems I called that pretty close.

Then there's Automotix which sells a "long block" with all new parts for $1700 and 7yr/70K warranty. Add a TEC turbo for another ~$1600, and I have $$ left to do other things... but it's "only" stock HP-ish...

If it's available, I found me a 5-speed drivetrain. Waiting...
Old 08-17-2009, 07:04 PM

maybe take a look at www.supracharged.com while you're waiting.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:30 PM

See, all I'll have to do is take out my old motor, stick in my new motor, and presto, change-o. No visit to DMV.

Besides, it's this kind of fun that has me avoiding engine swaps anymore:
"Well, little problem here. My bellhousing was just a little too short, and the input shaft would bind up in the crank. Well, I rumaged through my parts and found another metal spacer that goes behind the flyweel."
Old 08-17-2009, 07:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by edeslaur
Besides, it's this kind of fun that has me avoiding engine swaps anymore:
"Well, little problem here. My bellhousing was just a little too short, and the input shaft would bind up in the crank. Well, I rumaged through my parts and found another metal spacer that goes behind the flyweel."
Better known as a block plate. Most gas engines I've seen have something like that.....
Old 08-17-2009, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Dirt Driver
Better known as a block plate. Most gas engines I've seen have something like that.....
All 22r series engines have one (as far as I can recall). Goes on and bolts to the block before the flywheel or flexplate bolt in....