86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

22REPerformance 3mm oversize TB

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 01:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
22REPerformance 3mm oversize TB

I replaced the stock TB on the blue '88 yesterday with one from 22REPerformance. I got the 3mm overbore just because some like it, and others curse them. So I just had to find out for myself. besides mine was getting OLD!

Now my stock unit had 337k on it with no maintenance at all in 24yrs. Its on its second engine now(~160k), the original engine died violently when #4 rod broke and cut the block open to its gills, even perforating the starter.

I sent them a '86 TB and plenum and yes its missing the boss for a part of the air intake as I found out. I got a used TPS from Ebay and sent it off. Customer service was great, and they even powder coated the plenum for me! So at the end it was close to $400 shipped both ways, cleaned, overhauled, bored out, TPS, and powder coated (silver/black metallic). The unit looked very pretty in the box and arrived without issue.

The guys were very good to me considering I sent them a bunch of broken, nasty junk. I had problems with the idle after install, and thats my fault. Vacuum leaks suck when they are self inflicted. It went on without issue and other than idle adjustments you would expect it seemed fine. After replacing some cracked vacuum lines and chasing old lines that were leaking and screwing up the mix I got it going. I think everything was filthy & leaked so much that the new parts just let me know I needed to do more work while I was at it. The guys there were very helpful and patient with me as I thought through the mess I made and got it going. Kudos to Putney's / 22REPerformance for after sales support.

So its on now and its running much stronger. I actually have engine braking now! I forgot what that was its so much stronger than what my faded memory suggests is normal. Low speed throttle is less input for the same result. Since the opening is now bigger less is more. Mid range throttle response is better also for the same reason. I just have to push less than I ever did & get so much more when I do! The real payoff comes when you need full power to get up a hill and you find yourself worried about getting rear ended. There is this big hill on the way to work and the engine braking really helped to control the gravity fueled rush to the bottom, and the bigger opening allowed me to go up the hill at full throttle and climb at 50mph in 5th which I have never done before. Its always been a downshift from 5th, 4th, then third near the top @ ~40mph and then back up as you go over the top and accelerate downhill.

So it was worth the money I spent; I have a more responsive engine that increases my over the road speed and is much more fun to drive.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:43 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Post up some pictures. I have an engine built by them and I agree, there good. I have been thinking of getting this...just because I guess.