Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22re wont start

Old 03-05-2009, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22re wont start

Ok I know someone here can help me. I have a 95 pickup with a 22re that is getting spark and has fuel pressure to the rail, but will not fire unless I put a gas soaked rag over the intake. I know you can use a noid light to see if the injectors are getting a signal, but I dont have one and dont know where to get one. With the rag it starts right up and will idle and rev but without it just cranks and cranks. Is there something common I can check? Any and all help is greatly appreciated. I've been without my truck for around 8 months due to engine rebuild and I'm dying to get back in the woods.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think you've just proven that the injectors aren't firing. Everything else is working but you're not getting fuel in to the engine.
Oddly, it's not starting at all which means that even the cold start injector isn't working. You've tested that, right?
Old 03-05-2009, 05:20 PM

All the fuses been checked?
Old 03-06-2009, 05:13 AM

I havent pulled the cold start injector to see if its firing but I dont believe it is. I'll pull it when I get home and see. All of the fuses under the hood look fine, are there more behind the dash I should check? I also have a wire that I'm not sure where it goes. It has 3 reddish brown wires that go to a square washer looking thing you bolt down, is it a ground? I assumed it was but I cant figure it out for sure. I'm really bummed that I finally was able to rebuild it and get it all back together and I still can't drive the damn thing. Thanks again for any possible suggestions.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
first make sure both plugs to the injector resistor are plugged in. Its the small aluminum finned box on the pass. side fender. then check to see if you have power to the injectors. check with a voltmeter to ground at the wiring harness. should get close to 12 volts all the time with the key on. # 1 injector is the easiest to get to and you only have to test 1 since they are batch fired. If nothing its somewhere between the ignition and injector plug. If you get 12 volts go and rent a noid light set at your local parts store, Autozone or Advanced. It should flash or pulse while cranking with the light plugged in. The kit I rented had one for a geo that fit in the clip.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:37 AM

and yes there is a ground connection between the 2 middle intake runners and that will keep your injectors from firing, or so I heard, if its not connected.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:44 AM

Does the ground look like what I described? I have it attached between the middle intake runners to a stud where the upper and lower intake bolt together. I've looked multiple times to make sure everything is connected and I cant find anything I have doubts about other then the possible ground wire. If I check the injector plug with a volt meter and I have 12 volts but the noid light does nothing what do I need to check/change?
Old 03-06-2009, 06:29 AM

Yea that sounds like the ground. Just do those checks and I'm sure you'll find ur problem. The next thing to check would be the ignitor and distributor connectivity (that tells the ecu to fire the injectors), or the ecu itself but since you can get it to fire up I don't think thats your problem.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can just put a finger or a screwdriver on the injector while someone cranks it, you should hear/feel it clicking.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:53 AM

Does it look like this?
Brownish red with a black stripe?
I think it is the injector ground, it's mounted on the bolt next to cylinder 3 where the upper and lower intake plenum are bolted together.
Attached Thumbnails 22re wont start-injector-ground.jpg  
Old 03-07-2009, 05:40 AM

Well I did manage to get it to fire up and run. I'm still not sure what the problem was. All the fuses were good, but it was throwing 4 codes.

22 water temp sensor signal
24 intake air temp sensor
31 airflow meter signal or vacuum switch signal
41 throttle position sensor signal

I know its throwing 22 because I broke that temp sensor and havent replaced it just yet. I pulled the EFI fuse to reset and disconnected the plugs for the air flow meter and the TPS, cleaned them, and no codes except 22 anymore. Where is the intake air temp sensor located? Its not throwing the code anymore but just for future refference. Now all I need to figure out is this damn loping idle problem. Any suggestion? Thanks for all the help guys.

jimep - I dont have a finned aluminum box under the hood anywhere that I can tell
raydouble - That would be it exactly. Now I know I have it in the right spot.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:43 AM

Intake air temp in built into the AFM. Make sure that your COR (circuit open relay) relay is working. It is mounted right above the ECU on the passenger kick panel. When you are cranking you should feel it clicking.

Other problem may be with your pickup in the distributor. It is what pulses the injectors. Make sure you find those wires that Raydouble is talking about. You don't have the resistor for the injectors. That was pre 89. Make sure you AFM is connected with no leaks and that the plug is connected good.