Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22RE Starts and Dies

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22RE Starts and Dies

Hey guys, I have a 91 4Runner 22RE

I was driving on the highway, when I was driving the engine cut out and died then started up again, it did this about 4-5 times while I was driving. Finally made it home, by that time, I could start the engine but it would die about 10-20 seconds after that.

When it dies, the radio stays on, so I dont think its an electrical (ground) issue.

Also, I checked the TPS with a multimeter, its fine.

Did a check on the AFM as outlined on 4crawler
and the issue I was having was with the E2-Vs test.
When the plate was fully closed, the resistance would either range from 1600-3000 ohms. and when it was fully open it would be about 300-400 ohms.

I am not sure if this is the problem, because when I tested the AFM on my friends 91 pickup (22re), it read about 4k-5k ohms when the plate was fully closed (I only tested that because I didnt take it out of his truck). His truck works fine by the way.

So I am not too sure what is exactly wrong at the moment from my research so far. Maybe AFM? Maybe Fuel Pump?

ALso, I started it last night after the engine had plenty of time to cool down, so it was completely cold, and it actually ran for a good 2 minutes before it died which leads me to think maybe there is some temperature regulation or sending unit issue???? I am not sure. I am only suspecting that because my temperature gauge either reads 1/4 hot or normal operating temp (1/2) when the engine is completely heated up.

any help would be appreciated, thanks guys. Ill keep looking on the site and update anything that happens.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Did you do the second test between E1 and Fc, that tells you if the switch that turns on your fuel pump is working properly? Could be a fuel pressure problem. You can use a jumper wire in your fuel pressure check connector (this bypasses your AFM) and try to start the car when the problem is present.

Also ,if you have a known good meter, your test show that your AFM is bad.

Last edited by sam333; 11-18-2010 at 05:25 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:27 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Check your fuel pump and relay.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:35 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
spaceman: you have some things to start tracking down here. First off when you describe you problem it's when the motor is warmed up and in "open loop" Right? The fuel pump, although not out of the question is probably not the case hear as the motor starts and runs fine until it reaches operating temp. Check 4crawlers site as well for the testing and setting of the tps as it sounds like it's quitting on you. Easy to check and if it's good then you've eliminated one of the potential culprits. As you've already checked the afm per spec from roger's site i assume it checks out fine as well. On another note check the basic stuff you wouldn't think to always check. I know i've thrown parts at my old 22re when something as simple as a fouled plug makes the truck run crappy without evn thinking the plugs could be bad. So check th basic stuff like Air filter, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, vaccum leaks, coolant level, fuel filter (if you haven't changed it in some time), knock out the obvious stuff first. Then again it could just be a fuel pump quitting on you. Check the basic stuff and get back to us.
The following users liked this post:
spaceman (11-18-2010)
Old 11-18-2010, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey guys, yeah mighty mouse I have been pretty much doing all that stuff all day. I have peace of mind now knowing that all those things are checking out within spec.

Basically I found some really terribly wired stuff connected to the ignition coil. Did alot of rewiring all that bull˟˟˟˟ today and now it works great!

so lesson of the day, when stuff goes wrong on your toyota, freakin check out the wiring first haha. especially if the previous owner doesnt know how to ˟˟˟˟ing properly wire stuff.

Last edited by spaceman; 11-18-2010 at 05:47 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:00 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Glad you got it running man. You're not kidding about getting a toyota with bad wiring from the previous owner. When i picked up my 90 it had miles of useless wiring i pulled out.