Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22re simultaneous injection? Explain Please!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 12:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ah, I see. You be the Boss-Man on site. Sometimes this aint so good when you are trying to tweak a feedhorn to get the best gain and end users are screaming to get service back

The microcontoller can handle it. Just not sure my old beater can. Sometimes I get my wires crossed and short things out. Gonna put some effort into drawing up the circuits however. If it remains simple, I might mock up a board and emulate the injectors using LEDs. At speeds above idle, might have to watch them with an oscope.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
lol. done path-alignment several times and you're right it's not fun, particularly when it's the dish on the far end that's out. most of what I've done over the last few years has been cellular so as long as they tell you if their azimuth is magnetic or true they're not that hard to setup.

back on topic:
like I mentioned above, if you tried to do a sequential setup, the big problem would be determining the proper timing events to synchronize the controller to the engine position.

have you looked at this system: http://www.megamanual.com/index.html
Old 11-30-2008, 03:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Holly "already been done" Batman! Looks like my work is done. Excepting the fact that the Mega-squirt system looks expensive and would require as much time to figure out and integrate. Very impressive, however. Unbelievable what some people can do.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:46 PM

the thing is the megasquirt replaces the stock ecu.

What I can envision you doing, is an integrated 'tweak box' for the 22re, with a remote mounted display showing what the ECU is doing, and is completely reversible... for emissions testing purposes for instance... or you may even want to get it certified as a smog-legal/exempt modification....

If you can make it as non-invasive as possible (getting the stock ecu's injector pulse and synchronizing with the ignition events via simple inductive sensors [think like the inductive clamp on a timing light] in order to do a sequential injection 'add-on') and leaving the rest of the stock system alone... you may be on to something. You'd only need to plug into a stock injector plug (to read the signal) and sample the spark plug wires to determine which injector should fire next.

even though the ecu pulses the injectors once each crank revolution, there is nothing that says you would have to react to each pulse, unless you wanted to monitor that pulse to see if the signal has changed and adjust accordingly.

Ultimate fuel mixture would be determined by the ECU and its array of sensors. You 'may' decide to include a 'trim' potentiometer to bias the signal rich or lean (however, the ECU may override that when it gets feedback from the O2 sensor... )

*nudge-nudge*
Old 12-01-2008, 06:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very cool, guys. I'm glad you pulled up the megasquirt. A bunch of the hypermilers use them. The 3.slow fires the injectors simultaneously as well, but I don't know if it hits them twice per revolution or not. I've got the hardware and software kicking around to check, but I don't know that anyone cares.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:25 AM

I thought the 3slow was sequential? It uses cam position pickups in the distributor so i figured it was. The 22re only uses a single pickup in the distributor.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:09 PM

I have a '90, so I'm sure I neglected to look at the diagrams for other years, but the '90 3VZE according to the diagram I was looking at had both banks connected in parallel.

This was probably in the Chilton's manual, so any discrepancy between that and real life I can't speak to.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:13 PM

every wiring diagram I have access to (chilton's, haynes and multiple FSM) of a 3vze has the injectors wired in parallel, meaning that all 6 injectors fire together, at the same time and for the same duration.
As with the 22re, there is some attempt in the engine area to separate the injectors into 'banks', but they tie together before the ECU.