Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22re replacement - without a real garage?

Old 12-02-2009, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22re replacement - without a real garage?

Just got back from the shop after they called and told me to come down. Got there to find my truck in the midst of what was supposed to be a head swap, but they pointed out my number 4 cylinder lining was full of hairline fractures. We talked about my options...

-Long Block: I do NOT have this sort of money, and I just purchased a head from Engnbldr.com, so I'd like to not have to do this. I did find that Oregon Engine Rebuilders (OER) has what seems like an affordable long block. I can't find any reviews of their motors.

-Short Block: Preferred, but unsure of where to source. I'm not looking for high perf. Just DD. DOA, Jasper, LCE all might be out of my price range.

-Used: Buy from a scrapyard or craigslist seller and have no idea what I get. I feel like I'll save money initially but will end up dumping more in later.

The catch is, I'm wondering if this is something I can do in my driveway in Wisconsin at this time of year. I don't think I can afford to pay a shop to do it. How long would it take, assuming I had a plethora of parts and tools were ready? I can only fit the truck about halfway into the garage, and that would be a tough fit even. Would it be worth the hassle of struggle in the cold? I know I could save the hundreds of dollars, but I have idea what would be in store for me. I'm currently scouring these forums, trying to devour what I can, so please be patient with questions that seem too simple. The only other engine I've swapped before is from a '76 Honda cb750... a little different

-Chris
Old 12-02-2009, 04:03 PM

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f39/...ilders-128195/

Haven't heard anything bad about them. I think I will be going this route if/when my motor craps out. I have heard people say if you live cross country and sending it back isn't an option, they will pay for work done locally, but I would call to verify.

Get the long block and recoup some of your money by selling the engnbldr head. Those heads have a pretty good reputation on here as well.

As for not having a shop to do the swap, I can't speak to that. You would be able to do it if you have everything ready to go. And if you can't afford for a shop to do it, then I guess you are stuck with the hassle of the cold.

GOOD LUCK, hope you get it running again soon
Old 12-02-2009, 04:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
yes, completely doable with a good engine hoist in your driveway or garage, i did one in a day, granted it was like a 12hour day with lots of screwin around, but got it done, of course a short block would be the best bet, but used is prolly whats gonna get it, what you can do, (and what ide do) buy a used motor, and b4 its installed pull the head, timing cover and oil pan, buy a timing kit from engnbldr with steel backed guides $68 bucks i think? oil pump n water pump assemble with YOUR new head and a toyota head gasket then install in your truck... THERES TONS of info and pics of rebuilds and engine pulls n such, superbleader prolly has the most pics but you will find alot of info that you need by searching, but any questions just ask n some1 will answer
Old 12-02-2009, 04:13 PM

a 22re swap is probably a little more than a little different than a cb750 (i had a 77 goldwing my dad gave me)...anyway...if you have a cherry picker (engine hoist) and some extentions, swivels, good ratchets and pliers and a lot of patience, alot can be done in a driveway. to put things into perspective for you, i've been working in a junkyard for 4 years now, and everthing i ever need to completely dismember a car fits into the cab of a pickup truck (aside from my compressor and cutting torches which are in the bed). i take cars apart at least 9 hours of every day in the cold new england weather, wear layers if you have to...but if you work hard enough, you'll stay warm. so what i'm saying is, it's not how much you have to do the job, it's what you have to do the job...make it work. and, oh yeah...buy a torque wrench and a factory service manual.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do all my motor swaps in the driveway my garage is full of poo

typically takes one long day dont take apart more than you need just get the bad motor out of there then swap over all the componet stuff (ie. alternaotor,motor mounts, etc,etc) & stay organized label bolts put them in baggies or labeled bowls, take your time and have fun, good luck with the two 17mm on the top of the bell housing

As far as where to source you motor from I would get the best motor your money can afford i have swapped in $150 junkyard cores and $500 craiglist crappers. if you get a core motor throw some more money at it like yoterr said its easy to do with the motor out and on a stand.

YOU CAN DO IT!
Old 12-02-2009, 04:17 PM

listen to yoterr...that sounds like the best idea anyone could have thought of seeing as how you already have a brand new head. good thinkin dude.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:32 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Definitely doable if you have an engine hoist at least and makes things easier with an engine stand as well. I just did mine, no garage and no real driveway. Just a small area at the front of my house that sits off the street. Kinda cold out to work, but as long as you don't mind that, just cover the motor when and if you have it apart overnight with a blanket followed by plastic.

look at www.japanengine.com. Good people.

http://www.japanengine.com/products/...&search=&page=

brand new not reman shortblock $895 plus about $150 in shipping.

or $445 for a brand new block and $125 in shipping.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 12-02-2009 at 04:37 PM.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:23 PM

Yeah, so much of me is leaning towards doing it myself. I mean, if it were any other time of year I would easily spring on it, but today, the temp outside was around 36F-40F. It's only gonna get worse Either way, I think I'm leaning towards the OER (Oregon Engine Rebuilders) I'm still not sure about the head though. OER sells a long block, but the head I've got comes with the 268 Engbldr cam. I could swap it out, but then I'm left with a stock OER head (likely try to sell it.)

As far as the swap would go if done by myself, I have an '88 FSM, torque wrench, engine hoist, and a plethora of tools. No engine stand persay, but I think I could manage with the few things that I would need to swap. I wish I knew how long the shop (or, any shops really) would estimate the time to be do pull an engine and drop a new one in. That way, I could start estimating how much I would need to whore myself on the corner, or how much work I would need to sell to pay someone else to do this for me in the warmth of a garage...

I need a drink...

-Chris
Old 12-03-2009, 03:19 AM

pour one for me...make it a hurricane. i just blew up my 22re this morning on my way to work (spun bearing)...i wonder if we can get a deal on two engines from OER...LoL.

F#*K!
Old 12-03-2009, 12:52 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
wow, i never knew about OER - their prices look pretty good for a long block. i'm sure you could contact them and ask if they'd be willing to put an engnbldr head on their block - might not get the same warranty, but who knows maybe they've done it before since they're both in Oregon and both seem to be reputable businesses. if you ask them, let us know - i might be tempted to go that route when my 22re bites the dust.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:55 PM

I've heard a lot of stuff about OER.

Anyway, babyfood where are you located? You sound like your in OR.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:02 PM

Wisconsin actually. Located northeast of madison, just under that snow that just started falling this morning, which by the way will most likely play a role in deciding whether or not I do this myself this time. Eff...

Talked to the shop today though, and he gave me the standard run around of "I can put in a full Jasper longblock with a 3 year/100k warranty for a gazillion dollars." I very promptly informed him that I most likely would not opt for the Jasper, nor a Marshall, nor a cheap craigslist/scrapyard find that would blow up as soon as my money cleared the bank. I told him about OER and their prices, and he seemed ok with it. He said if it weren't for the fact that this is a major job (vs. a quick brake job or overhaul), he wouldn' be so inclined to let me pick and choose things on my own. He said it's going to be a b ig commitment on my part, so I may as well get what I want. He stressed that going outside of his recommendations would relieve him of warranty obligations (other than labor of course) and I very quickly informed him of OER purported reputation and amazing warranty plan. I think he was shocked that I did my homework, but he was still ok with it.

So, looks like I'm going to spring for the OER longblock. I have the unused Engnbldr head/cam still, so I'm considering trying to return it or sell it, so this spring once money recoups a bit I can order a 268 cam and put that into the OER motor. Anyone need a brand new head with 268 cam? I'll eat the shipping

-Chris
Old 12-03-2009, 02:08 PM

No buddies that have a garage with space? How about un-arseing some stuff out of yours to make space?

What you want to do can be done, and is all the time. The question is, are you willing to do it?
Old 12-03-2009, 02:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The OER should come with a very similar cam grind as the engnbldr 268(I love mine with the L.C.Engineering pro street head I have on my fresh rebuild by the way) so you should be fine if you get the super street long block engine.

I was looking to go with their set up then I talked myself into rebuilding it myself glad I did too just so I know my motor but the guy I talked to at OER said if any issue came up they would pay a shop to repair it as long as it was not catastrophic.

If it was then I would have to ship it back to them but either way you look at it a LIFETIME warranty is hard to pass up and I have talked to a few guy's that got that motor and they say OER stands behind it 100% almost no questions asked and if you were in their area it is drop your truck/car off and they fix it no questions asked.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A 22r is pretty straight forward simple motor its very doable in your garage.... personally.... i would buy a used motor and rebuild it with a OEM toyota rebuild kit and then put that new head you got on it.... but thats just me....
Old 12-03-2009, 02:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If I had decided to buy instead of rebuild I probably would have bought a motor from Putney's Custom Machine. I haven't heard any feedback about them, but judging from their site and posts here they seem to know 22R's pretty well. They offer a discount to Yotatech members.

However, if OER will pay to have local shops do warranty work, that's a big plus.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:46 PM

Nope, no friends with garages. Actually had to move back in with the folks, and their garage is smaller than small, so just moving things out isn't gonna be an option. I'm super bummed about not being able to do this myself, but if it is indeed the way I go, I'll at least have my truck back. If it weren't winter and snowing, I'd have the bay gutted already and just bike everywhere. Such is not the case Yeah, I'm weighing the differences (performance and price) between the stock and super-stock right now. I think just for the sake of not having hardly any moeny, I'll stick with stock, and like I said earlier, drop an Engnbldr 268 cam in once weather here returns to nice and happy.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:32 PM

argh...i have more than enough space to put a motor in, but i'm so cheap i don't want to spend the money for an engine...gotta do it though. oer...take my money...please. gotta go superstock...can't eff around. i'll keep you updated on my progress, but i think i'm ordering my engine tomorrow.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:52 PM

dakar652, if you were closer I'd say i'll help you if you help me. damn. I wish I could afford the superstock. Sad when a couple hundred bucks matters so much. My thoughts are really leaning towards the stock with a potential cam swap sometime next year, but it'll be hard justifying it then too because I know the motor will still be so fresh.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You could get one of those carport things from Pepboys, or Harbor Freight Tools to shelter from above, and get a heater to warm your hands if you want. You could make it work.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 22re replacement - without a real garage?