Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22RE reinstall

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22RE reinstall

Alright guys, I got my 22re back from the machine shop about 3 weeeks ago after an entire rebuild, so that makes it around 2 months since I pulled it out.

Now, I'm ready to drop it back in and I'm lacking the motivation to get things rolling. I received the motor back with the head, and timing chain installed. I still need to put the oil pan and pickup on, oil pump, and they also stripped the block of any sensors, and gave them back in a box.

If someone could give me a starting point, I would really appreciate it!!
Old 10-06-2009, 08:13 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Start with the little stuff and go slow! there is no need to rush and forget things to only scratch your head later trying to find out why your 22re isn't running proper. When i installed my motor a couple months ago it was easier than i had anticipated. I started with the intake and exhaust first making sure everything was hooked up properly. Leave the easy stuff for the end like the starter and accesory belts. I also found that leaving things a little loose to test fit them first helped and aleviated some potential road blocks further along the install. I saw a lot of guys installing thier long blocks with the intake and everything on before they installed the motor. I just put it on after the block was set. It kinda helped me with routing of hoses and wires with the engine compartment as a reference. When you feel as though you have everything in check and double check then start snugging stuff in. Use your torque wrench and try to go slow. I only say that because i have the patience of a ADHD 2yr. old on a sugar high and tend to remind myself to slow down more often than not. Good luck! P.S. go through as many threads as you can and research any problems people have had with thier installs. found this forum to be pivitol in my install and definatly motivated me in the right direction. Also this may sound stupid but check your oil galley plugs on the front of the block the back and on the bottom. I only say this because i almost forgot to put mine in prior to install. that could have been a disaster! For some reason the machine shop removed them and i didn't recieve tham when i got my block so i jacked them from my donor block prior to install.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I say do the oil pan area first if you have it on a stand that way you can turn it upside down and install the pick up and pan and roll it upright again to install the top end ect. if you do the top end first you will not be able to roll the motor over on the stand.

oil sender down low right behind motor mount , knock sensor go's up by the oil filter to the rear looking at the motor as if it were in the truck

on the exhaust side rear of the block is where the block drain go's

To hi Resolution to put in paint and circle so you know what your look for you can go to my build link and check out all the pics so you can see where all the sensors go on the block which pics I can't tell you but check out the ones with the block on the stand and you should be able to find the sensors in at least one of them so you can put your where they go.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...41/index3.html

Also check iamsuperbleeder build he may have better pics of the sensors in place

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...ctures-181237/

Last edited by olharleyman; 10-06-2009 at 09:38 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:08 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
i'm still on tear-down, so I do have ALOT of recent pics etc
Old 10-07-2009, 06:31 PM

This advice is good if not GREAT...Take Your TIME..If you hurry you will be more likely to make mistake..

Good Luck..
I look forward to rebuilding my 22RE one day..Not after it has over 400k I hope
Old 10-07-2009, 09:44 PM

Thanks guys for the responses so far. I think it will just take alot of diging through pictures and old threads to find the answer to some of my questions.

Here's one to start- does the knock sensor just thread into the block? Or should I be using teflon tape of RTV on the threads?
Old 10-07-2009, 11:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I put teflon tape on mine but I am sure you can put it in without it after all there is no fluid entering or exiting I did it out of habit.