86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

22re pickup is Blowing Smoke

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 05:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22re pickup is Blowing Smoke

Hey guys. I'm new to this. May be in the completely wrong section. However, my Toyota pickup (22re) is blowing light colored smoke. It has been since I got it half a year ago. Drives fine. Has been rebuilt, which may have something to do with it. I got it post rebuild and have no documentation. I am running low on oil after about 1000 miles of fresh change and my engine coolant is running dry in about the same amount of time. Does anyone have a decent diagnosis? The engine also clicks. But again, this is pretty common, and it has run beautifully with no problems. The hose for vsv and some other emission valves have dry rotted so I caped them for the time being until I can pull new ones. Can anyone help or redirect me to somewhere I can get a thought?

Thanks
Luke
Old 04-27-2014, 08:19 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry to hear about this. Can we get a little more info on the color of the smoke

Blue =burning oil

White =coolant

Black= excess gas

Does it burn more or only on start up, get worse after it hears up? No change hot or cold, just the same amount all the time??
Old 04-27-2014, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gizler00
Sorry to hear about this. Can we get a little more info on the color of the smoke

Blue =burning oil

White =coolant

Black= excess gas

Does it burn more or only on start up, get worse after it hears up? No change hot or cold, just the same amount all the time??
Gizler! Thanks for the quick response my friend. It blows white I believe. Unless the blue is too light to decipher. I'm not sure that my thermometer is working correctly either. But it Never seems as if it is overheating. Doesn't ever smoke from engine bay. And it only really blows upon stopped position to early first gear. And crank up like crazy for a brief second. I don't think the smoke is quite as bad once the engine warms up. I put leaded racing fuel in a gallon and rest premium on last fill up. My fleet mechanic told me that it would help burn out excess carbon buildup. I love our earth, so just trying to cut down on emissions. I just bought blue seal as well for my radiator/HG. And I am changing all fluids ASAP. Do you think this may help?
Thank you again

Luke
Old 04-27-2014, 09:39 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Don't put any type of sealer in the Radiotor or the oil. It will cost you the motor in the long run.

You need to find out how your radiator fluid is disapearing. Start with a coolant pressure tester and see if there are any external leaks and address. Then you need to do a compression test. See if your head gasket is leaking internally into the combustion chamber. I bet your head gasket is going and your leaking coolant into the combustion chamber and you see this white smoke as a result.

Oil burning is a lot less of an issue than coolant. Get your coolant issues in order first...
Old 04-27-2014, 10:00 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MastaYota
I just bought blue seal as well for my radiator/HG.
Please don't use this or any other sealer as it may cause you even bigger problems with blocked coolant passages, heater core, radiator, etc. If you think the HG is going of gone, diagnose and fix it correctly.

Last edited by rworegon; 04-27-2014 at 11:33 AM.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:09 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
X2 on the additive. I would not recommend using those. Find the leak and fix it before trying to bandaid it.

If you do not have a pressure tester, you can rent one from a parts store to see where you have a leak.

Also as other have stated, do a compression test and post the results. Then if suspect , do a wet compression test to further find out what's happening.