Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22re Oil for winter east coast.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 07:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 22re Oil for winter east coast.

Ok quick question. I rebuild my upper engine, New head,valves,timing chain, the whole shot, after a blown head gasket.

I put in cheap oil and filter to get all the stuff out (water,oil, and trash that got into the engine that i did not know about.)

No I live on the east coast (North Carolina) I have 820 miles on the rebuild.
what oil and filter should i get ? All this truck has ever had is mobile 1 full synthetic in it.
To day I would like to adjust the valves,
Make sure the head bolts are still torc right ( or should i not touch that)
Change the oil and filter. But what viscosity should I put back in? I can just go back to synthetic right?
And should get the high mileage oil? im at 294,458 miles. How is it different then other mobile 1?

Last edited by Obmi; 10-23-2016 at 07:25 AM.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Obmi
Ok quick question. I rebuild my upper engine, New head,valves,timing chain, the whole shot, after a blown head gasket.

I put in cheap oil and filter to get all the stuff out (water,oil, and trash that got into the engine that i did not know about.)

No I live on the east coast (North Carolina) I have 820 miles on the rebuild.
what oil and filter should i get ? All this truck has ever had is mobile 1 full synthetic in it.
To day I would like to adjust the valves,
Make sure the head bolts are still torc right ( or should i not touch that)
Change the oil and filter. But what viscosity should I put back in? I can just go back to synthetic right?
And should get the high mileage oil? im at 294,458 miles. How is it different then other mobile 1?
Hello. I am at 363,000 miles, and Ive only ever put 10w30 in, cheapest stuff I could find. You say east coast but North Carolina is pretty fair weather, Id stay with 10w30. A 10w30 Mobil 1 is very thin stuff too, and its pour point is at an insanely low temperature, so, you are beyond good.

Do not use high mileage oils. They just put seal swellers in those formulas and they plump up rubber seals, once you stop using a high mileage formula the seals shrink back down. Either way, you should never attempt to swell rubber.

My truck has never had High mileage foruma oil, and I have only had to do one rear main seal and a few sets of valve covers in the 28 years it has been rolling down the road (im the second owner but I have all its service records since birth).

So my vote is stick with 10w30, the mobil 1 is thin enough, and stay awaya from high mileage oils with seal swellers and conditioners.
Old 10-23-2016, 09:33 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Myself I use 20W50 all year round

I think Synthetic is a waste but it is your money go for it
Old 10-31-2016, 02:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also use 20w50 all year. Castro GTX.
Old 10-31-2016, 07:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's up man, I'm in Alabama, with *similar* winter conditions and I only run rotella 10w30... I read a long time ago on bobtheoilguy that it's great for a SOHC 4 banger and to me, Toyota's definitely run warm enough to keep the diesel engine oil flowing. I've had people argue with me about it but I've been doing it for YEARS and I have always been happy with how well it runs.

OEM filters are great but if you aren't buying bulk, Napa oil filters are really just as good. And probably more accessible. Just my 2!!!